Do you think Steve Jobes has a segway?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unorthodox, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Do you think Steve Jobs has a Segway?
    I think he does. zipping around Apple HQ, making sure nobody is loafing around. Segways are the only mode of transportation a CEO of his status would use.
    What do you think? If not a Segway, then what? A hover craft a space ship maybe teleport pads?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. Unorthodox thread starter macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Well they're certainly cooler than a say... tricycles.
    Oh, I know! He has a Harley motorcycle! :)

4. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Steve Wozniak is a huge Segway fan. There's a great page on his website (woz.org) that has videos of Woz and his friends lowriding Segways. They also have Segway polo matches.

http://www.woz.org/seg/index.html

PlaceofDis - have you ever taken a Segway for a ride? Yes they are expensive but are a ton of fun. Here in Chicago there's a place that you can pay a nominal fee to get a lakefront tour on a Segway - it's a blast. Also, in Millennium Park the Chicago cops ride around on Segways.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

does
    Jobs

This has been your spelling minute for today...

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i haven't used on myself. but i have seen plenty in action up close. the cops along the lakefront sometimes use them. and yes the ones in Millennium Park do as well. the ones at and around Navy Pier do, which is where i have seen them in use the most. they are great. but not for what i have seen them used for. they are terrible in close quarters and in anything that requires any sort of nimble manouvering. in any wide open areas they can be useful i suppose. i just think that they are highly over-rated thats all.

8. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

9. CompUser Guest

I was thinking that too. Something cheap and odd like that car. I also was thinking a mercedes e-class because that is a beautifully designed car, but then again, he might have a BMW because that was the first car to have the iPod integration.

10. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Steve's bound to have a chauffeur of some sort to get him from A to B.

When you're that rich, you don't drive to work. Jet pack maybe!? :p

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Think Jobs has a ROKR, which he recently replaced with a SLVR?

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

He has a $90m jet. I can see Jobs in a Maybach. BMW was the first company to have iPod integration though, perhaps he has a BMW, a 7 series or a Z8 Alpina.

13. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Black RAZR to match his wardrobe all the way!

14. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

he has a silver mercedes sedan. without a liscence plate. i pass by his house every once in a while.

15. CompUser Guest

How does he not have a plate?

16. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Once you get the hang of it they are highly maneuverable. The footprint is smaller than any other vehicle you can spin 360 in place and then head off in any direction. You can pull of maneuvers in close-quarters that you can't do on a bicycle, Vespa, skateboard, rollerblades, etc.

Since you seem to live in or around Chicago maybe you should go and try renting one for the day and then let us know what an overrated pos they are. I used to laugh at them but after riding one I thought that if they were cheaper and sidewalk legal I'd get one in a second.

17. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

In Portland 'burb there is an outdoor mall, and security rides segways there. They look like total morons.

18. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Yeah, people do look awfully goofy riding Segways. They really are fun though. Sorta reminds me of an old grade school joke about "Mopeds and Fat Chicks."

19. Unorthodox thread starter macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Reminds me of one too. Unfortunately, it's kinda mean and racist. So I wont tell it here. Check your local bathroom wall, you might just find it there. ;)

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

In California, when you buy a new car, you get a temporary sticker to place on your windshield while you wait for the DMV to send you your plates. Took about four months for me to get mine...I have no idea what takes them so long. I've had to get replacement plates before...walk into the DMV (with an appointment), pay $17, walk out with new plates five minutes later. Why does it take four months for initial issuance of plates?

Sometimes it seems like a quarter of the cars on the road around here don't have plates.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Before I suggest it, can I ask, if this is an okay thread in which to post a suggestion that it be wastelanded? :eek: ;) :D

Hehehe... do you have any reason to believe Steve Jobs would own a Segway?

In the meantime, I'll throw in *my* useless anecdote: When I was in high school, I volunteered doing technical direction for public television. And the director spelled segue wrong ("segway," not referring to the vehicles) on a number of materials. I pointed it out...he got so mad, and spent so much time making fun of me for my *incorrect* belief that it was spelled "segue," because no one would believe this. Heh. :D

22. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here's The Steve's initial reaction to the Segway. But apparently when he tried one, they couldn't get him off of it. Don't know if that enthusiasm persisted though.

23. Unorthodox thread starter macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Tut tut. You have no appreciation for the highly intellectual and stimulating conversation we're having.
    Plenty of people have made many fine points and discoveries.
    Why, I think we might be on the verge of a break thorough. :eek:
    But your probable right.... after all, the world is flat.

No one understands a genius in his/her own time.....

Some black hearted, but just mod might wast it... (oh the fun I could have with that pun!) And the guilty parties parents will be notified.

24. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

he just doesn't have one. i heard he gets pulled over every once and a while, but he just pays the fines. i think it is one of his trademarks.