Do you think Steve was "for" the iMac G5 design?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sigamy, Sep 4, 2004.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

When I see a Stevenote and see him up there creating the distortion field I really fall head first and believe that I'm seeing the greatest thing ever.

Having not heard him speak about the new iMac, and having all his comments from the 2001 flat panel intro still in my mind, I can't help but wonder if he was fully behind this design. In 2001 he blasted the idea of having the components behind the screen. But in 2001 it was impossible to reduce the size down to the 2" we now have.

So, do you think Steve was for this new design? Do you think he played a large role in the design? Or do you think there was an internal power struggle where other issues like ease of build, lower cost to manufacture and ease of service won out over pure design?

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Steve keeps a pretty tight grip on Apple. Very little happens without his ok, least of all the release of the signature desktop computer. Likely he was told by his doctors to focus on nothing but his recovery.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

steve was probably all for it because of the minimalist design, he loves that, and the small form factor is all him

4. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure he loves it. It's absolutely stunning. I didn't think they could out-do themselves.

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

He's recovering from cancer surgery. He won't be speaking about any Apple products until he's back to work.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if Steve didn't like it, we probably would never have seen it...oh yeah!

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, Steve would have made sure it never reach the light of day along with the Apple PDA :)

There clearly on a winner with the imac...and I just hope that given the extra window of time they made sure there were no hardware issues. Guess we will know this time next month after users have been bashing them around for a few weeks.

8. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

If he sat in aww with the new cinema displays he probably did the same thing with the G5 iMac, seeing that they have pretty much the same form factor.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that Steve was very much involved in the decision making process. So far his vision has been right on target.

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think the 'computer behind the display' idea that Steve wasn't jiggy with back in 2001 had the display and computer as separate components, and that would be pretty fugly. I think that he's all for the slim all in one deal.

12. pigwin32 macrumors regular

Any mention of Steve warming his hospital room with the help of a prototype G5 PB? Gosh, life without Steve doesn't really bear thinking about, what happens to the cult if the personality leaves?

13. BoneyardBoy macrumors member

*points upwards*...What they all said. anyway it must've been designed long before he had to take time off. Does anyone know if there's a video floating around of the keynote where he introduced the 2001 iMac? would really love to see that now

14. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Just for the record...Steve intro'd the FP iMac at MWSF in 2002, not 2001.