Do you think the 15" G4 iMac should be phased out?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SilvorX, Sep 9, 2002.

?

do u think the 15" G4 imac should be phased out

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. over time, ya

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

there have been rumors lately that the 15" G4 iMac will be phased out soon since the production of 15" lcd screens for the computer has been haulted, do you think that apple should phase out the 15" lcd imac or do you think they should keep it for a few more years?

i feel its WAY too early to phase it out since it was released back in january, a 15" screen @ 1024x768 res is good enough for a computer user who knows squat bout puters (beginner and some average users who dont mind the monitor size), they should upgrade the processor to atleast 900 mhz, and $3000 CDN is WAY too much to be paying for a computer (17" imac) so if apple makes the 17" imac the low end model, barely anyone would be able to afford it unless it was possible to lower the cost to about the price of a middle end 15", if i dont end up getting a powermac, idd get a 15" imac for sure

o and as soon as IF a 19" imac comes in, there'll be people who want a 21+" imac... n so on....

2. 3777 macrumors 6502

It's outta here!!!!

Personally i'm a big crt screen fan and I am rooting for the eMac to one day completely overtake the lcd iMacs market share and bring an end to the lcd iMac alltogether!:D

Seriously....... I do think the 15" lcd has to go just because of the 17inch screen on the eMac. I defintely would rather see all lcd iMacs move to 17" wide screens then to have eMacs downgraded to 15" to make it less attractive vs the lcd iMacs!!!:eek:

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: It's outta here!!!!

Wouldn't that work out better by renaming the CRT iMac the 15" eMac while updating video and CPU MHz rating while holding the line on price.

4. 3777 macrumors 6502

Re: Re: It's outta here!!!!

Maybe .... but I don't want to see that either. I want a 1.25Ghz 17inch crt eMac with 80gb hd and superdrive by Christmas! 17inch.... crt or lcd.... should now be the standard for all apple systems.

5. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

if there was 2 lines of imac G4s out (one called imac LCD, and one called flat screen imac) maybe the lcd line can go from 15" to 19", while the flat screen imac line could go from 17" to 21", but the crt line be in between the classic imac (almost like emac) and the current imac so it wont be heavy, easy to carry, but can expand up to 2 gigs of ram n have up to processors of 1.25 ghz

i just dont want to see the 15" lcd imac to go away any time soon, its a piece of art....just like the cube

6. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Get rid of it...

It'll be retribution to all those smug individuals who poured scorn on the Cube when it was discontinued.

At least the Cube is expandable - the iMac is just a lamp. Suck that baby and put in something tastier...

:D

7. dricci macrumors 6502a

I think Apple should keep it, and lower the price... Also I think we need sub-$1000 Towers. I know so many people that would switch if Apple would produce a decent sub-$1000 G4 tower. Not everybody wants a build in monitor!

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

are you kidding?...that is apple's bread and butter machine right now

maybe, in the distant future when lcd prices come down even more...which they will...then the smallest could maybe be 17"

it's like asking if apple should dump os x and go back 100% percent to os 9

now if apple dumped the crt imac, i don't think it would be too bad, but i am glad that it is still there and perhaps apple still needs it sales-wise

apple inc could use all the money it can get...especially in the last two years which have not been the best for northern california (and silicon valley) in the high tech field... i read that the northeast is going to be booming or is booming already in high tech...if one area goes down in a field, another is bound to take up the slack

9. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

go jef :p lol
    if apple dumped the crt imac, the tech ppl at my school would be buying older macs or emacs (i doubt emacs tho) lol

10. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Whoa there, Mr. Hat.

Don't you think that's a tad strong as a comparison? As the sales figures suggest to Apple, the future of the 15" iMac has already been cast in stone. And as far as the public's reaction goes, all you really have to do is to read the MR forums to see that people want bigger screens and faster processors.

When you consider that many new OSX applications (for example) utilise dual-processors, and the iMacs aren't the easiest computers to upgrade, it would make more sense to release a new iMac with a bigger screen and some form of upgradability (but obviously not PCI slots, to seperate the roles of the consumer and professional-level systems) - ideally a dual-processor upgrade option, or indeed, a dedicated dual-processor system (the way to go for OSX).

I hate to bring up the Cube again, but thanks to Sonnet AND Powerlogix, a 1Ghz dual-processor card should ensure the computer remains off the obsolete list for some time to come. If Apple were to make it easier to get inside the iMac - currently a daunting task even to put memory in - I'm sure the consumer would be more than happy.

Think about this:

If Apple's computers - RIGHT across the range - were easier to upgrade, then companies such as Powerlogix and Sonnet will invest more in R&D to release faster processors at a cheaper price to offer a theoretically larger client base. Simple supply-and-demand strategy.

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think some people in the public want those things, but to me, the macrumors crowd as a whole is wanting more from apple than the average consumer, thus our membership to macrumors

also, look at some of the profiles and sigs, we are talking many hard core super users who would always want tomorrow's mac right now...and never really be satisfied

using an original ibook now which i use only at home, i would be quite happy with a new g4 imac with 15" inch screen:D