Do you think this is Hardware or LCD? (Powerbook 5300ce I want to buy)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Cross, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Cross macrumors regular

Ok I am looking at getting a 5300c and I want a ce... so I found this on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190006438178&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

But it has problems with the display and I think its the video memory not the LCD. What do you guys think?

I really would like to have a CE instead of the C so I was going to buy this and swap some parts but I think thats a Video Ram error... and the CE had more ram then the C. (I believe I know one model of the 5300 was less video ram maybe the cs)

Thanks guys!

2. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I dunno. It might not be the screen. It could also be some internal cables that have broken.

BTW, how do you see the dock? and was there a dock in OS 8?:confused:

3. Cross thread starter macrumors regular

The dock? What do u mean. There was Drag Thing or Strip for the OS 7-9 but no dock that i knew of.

4. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Oh, I'm sorry. I only saw OS X. I have no idea of what pre OS X looked like;)

Well, when/if you get it, you may be able to get an Apple old timey to find out what's wrong, if you show him some disassembly pics.

I just can't believe it has 128 dead pixels in that particualr square.:confused:

5. Cross thread starter macrumors regular

I am an old timer :p This was my first Mac Laptop ^-^

I just feel its hardware thats what normally causes this... guess I am just kinda hoping against hope.

6. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

oh, okay. do you mean a 5300ce, or this paricular machine?

well, try and disassemble it when it gets there, and see if you can fix something.;)

7. Cross thread starter macrumors regular

I kinda just want to pass on it.... even though I really want one for the fact it was my first laptop... I am thinking about a 3400 240mhz instead.

8. RacerX macrumors 65832

Something like that is most likely the LCD itself (which you can replace for around $50 here.

There are two versions of the 5300c... one with 512k of VRAM and the other with 1 MB. The 5300cs was different in that it used a passive matrix display.

As for buying a broken 5300 and spending money to buy parts to fix it... that brings the price to where you could get a 3400 (I got my 3400c/200 for free). So in this case I'd skip it if I were you.