Do you think voting online would be a good thing?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hummer, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I know that voting online would come with a bunch of issues such as hacking and people trying to vote more than once. But if we could overcome all of those hurdles with a foolproof system. Do you think that voting online would be a good idea for this country or any country?

I think it would because it would get more people to vote, being that they wouldn't have to leave their house every election. I would like to see some government invest into the creation of a system that would allow people to vote online. Needing to register once in person to use it and then being prompted to enter your social security number and then all the info you provide must match up to your social security number.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Hypothetically speaking: yes.

Realistically speaking: no.

The problems of voting online are too great to overcome for at least the next two or three decades, I'd say.

e

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

And you'd feel comfortable with setting up a system that uses your social? I think there are some things that should be kept offline, and voting happens to be one of them. And anytime ANY webpage asks me for my social I don't use it, unless I absolutely have to (eg the ability to get onto Linccweb).

4. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Rickay726

i agree completely

5. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Well I could say I would feel comfortable voting online with my social security number as long as it was a government site that hosted the site for the election. I know that people don't really feel comfortable handing out their social security number, but it's the only way that I can conceive of that would make sure that a person is only voting for his or her self and no one else, if there was ever a system in place online. Maybe there is something better but none that I could think of. I was just saying if there was a fool proof way that voting could work online.

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

One vote per social number; I don't see why that couldn't work.

7. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

True for the above...Also if your too lazy to get out of your house and vote then your vote shouldn't be counted. Obviously I'm not counting special needs and weather etc. But you get the point. I just think it'll increase our apathy and laziness, and our country is PRETTY lazy!

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, I think online voting will open elections up to more fraud, which is something we need to be working to reduce.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I don't think we should have electronic voting machines, let alone voting online.

Pen and paper. That's the only way we should vote.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, we can't even make secure electronic voting machines, much less a secure website. It would be extremely vulnerable and undoubtedly would be cracked, plus, it wouldn't leave a paper trail.

If you want everyone to vote, why not make that a law?

11. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

How about tax credits for voting?

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think that if you need an extra incentive to vote, you probably don't know what the hell is going on anyway and shouldn't be voting.

As to online voting: no. Yeah, in theory it could work...but how would you feel if Microsoft won the contract to write the voting software? Hell, I wouldn't even trust that job to Apple. It's just too easy to hack.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree, we have way to many people who think that 15 second ad on TV is gospel when voting. Lets face it politicians will lie, lie & then lie some more. I dont want people forced to vote when they dont care or even have a clue whats really going on.

Paper ballots dont lie, we should have paper ballots with a persons name & address and who they voted for on it but thats way to simple for the govt plus there isnt any corporations making $$$ on it. I wouldnt trust online voting at all.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Ditto.

In reality, the system would be built by several contractors, cost billions, and would probably require ActiveX, not to mention putting all the votes into a few places would make it much easier for a determined hacker to change the results.
    Furthermore, what's this fear of spending 10 minutes at the voting booth? You'll spend more time staring at the vending machine later in the day.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Even if it was made so that it couldn't be hacked, which I think is impossible, at the end of every election the side that lost would come and say that there was some sort of mistake in the system and we really don't need anymore of that. Also now people create fake web pages to steal other peoples information, so what would stop someone from doing the same thing with this system.