Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think we'll see a redesigned iMac this year for 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 41 73.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jtsang777

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
It has been 2012 since its redesign. So perhaps we'll see a redesign this year?

Sulinari

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2016
It has been 2012 since its redesign. So perhaps we'll see a redesign this year?

Thats also my problem. I want to buy iMac 27" 5k... but I am not sure if it is right decision... I heard rumors that late 2016 imac will get usb-c port so extended new monitor from apple would be connected with 1 cable... Those are rumors but still... pain in the ass :(((

Any help? :D

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
Thats also my problem. I want to buy iMac 27" 5k... but I am not sure if it is right decision... I heard rumors that late 2016 imac will get usb-c port so extended new monitor from apple would be connected with 1 cable... Those are rumors but still... pain in the ass :(((

Any help? :D
Do you need a new computer right now? If yes, then buy now. If no, then wait.
I can tell you that I have heard rumors that ThunderBolt 4 is on its way. As well as a redesign to the next redesign. And a new USB standard. And a better display, faster RAM and better graphics card! :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think we'll see anything major, there's not much else that can be done.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Visually:

They could reduce the bezels around the screen area, but that would mean they were increasing the screen size—and I don't see them doing that. They aren't going to just remove that space without filling it with something.

They could add an adjustable stand... which would be a much-appreciated feature. But I can't see them doing that either.

They could add better speakers, but the existing ones are pretty damn good for the average consumer who doesn't need/want to spend money on external speakers.

The only visual change I can see them making is port changes on the back.

Internally:

Storage. Bigger/faster SSDs.

Speed-bumped processors and video cards.

Wish List:

I wish they would allow me to upgrade the video card on the mid-range models.

It would be great to have one or two more USB3 ports.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I think they will redesign the iMac this year with reduced bezels.

I'd love a 34" size, but I suppose they'll keep the current ones. They might bring out a 30", as they used to offer a 30" Cinema Display. I do wish they would offer an integrated optical drive. DVDs are so much cheaper than iTunes, and I will be using them for decades to come, unless Apple introduces iTunes Match for video.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
2012 was the redesign. If a redesign was happening soon, they would have done it when they launched the Retina iMac. Not to mention the fact the Retina iMac is already on the edge of thermal limits.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Not sure what the point would be. Previous new iMac design were the result of:

- adding LCD screens (G4)
- possibility to drastically slim down (G5)
- new materials (2007)
- 16:9 screen ratio (2009)
- removing SuperDrive (2012)

Retina didn't need a new design, apparently.

My best guess is a low end 'experimental' iMac like the MacBook which will be extremely thin as a result of a fanless design. But that would probably be another vision for the future rather than a mainstream product.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Can't see it happening in 2016. Last year we got the 4K iMac as well as upgraded 5K models, not to mention the new Magic Keyboard and new Force-Touch trackpad. If a brand new iMac would have been even remotely close at that point, I have a sense Apple would have saved these new accessories till the release of the new version.

I think a new design is probably a year away at least.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I would guess even more than a year away. Other than internal updates, and possible port changes, I'm not sure I can even imagine what they could do to "completely redesign" the iMac.

A Gold or Space Gray iMac, anyone?!

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I really don't see the point of even thinner iMac – but I didn't see the point of current thinness either. Helps with planned obsolescence, I suppose. And imagine a €2199 8mm thin iMac with Core M processor in Space Gray!

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I really don't see the point of even thinner iMac – but I didn't see the point of current thinness either. Helps with planned obsolescence, I suppose. And imagine a €2199 8mm thin iMac with Core M processor in Space Gray!

More like €1199 I think. We currently have a 2007 iMac 20" which could easily be replaced be such a machine.

Question is; is it also going to last 8+ years? Probably not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.