Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daiichi

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
If they could go back to showing the weather I don't see why not. It would've also been nice if it changed colors depending on the weather.

As it looks now, the first thing I said was, "Ooh, they now have a breakfast app?"

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Maybe Yahoo! has more of a hand in the design of iOS 7 than we know...

----------

Have you used Yahoo's own weather app? The design is practically identical, excepting Yahoo's app providing more information.

I agree! I think Apple is getting help from some yahoo designers on iOS 7. The ios 7 weather app is practically yahoo's with less details.

If you look at the design of the new notification center, the design resembles yahoo's weather app too

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If they could go back to showing the weather I don't see why not. It would've also been nice if it changed colors depending on the weather.

As it looks now, the first thing I said was, "Ooh, they now have a breakfast app?"
You are looking at it wrong. :apple: ;)

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Basically Apple saw Yahoo! created this cool weather app, so they copied it.

/thread

We have a winner. I'm as much of an apple fanboy as the next guy but the iOS 7 weather app is too similar to the yahoo app. Not a great precedent to set for the developer community. I didn't realize "Think Different" meant copy blatantly.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
We have a winner. I'm as much of an apple fanboy as the next guy but the iOS 7 weather app is too similar to the yahoo app. Not a great precedent to set for the developer community. I didn't realize "Think Different" meant copy blatantly.
And, again, do we know that's what actually happened?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Hmm...if Apple did this don't you think someone from Yahoo would be complaining about being ripped off and that would have leaked to the press? Yahoo's app was one of Apple's design award winners. Rumor has it Ive personally called up Marisa Mayer to tell her how much Apple liked the app. Seems a little unlikely then that Apple would just rip it off. Plus the fact that it is so similar makes me think they collaborated on it or Apple got permission from Yahoo to design something similar. Again if it was a complete ripoff without Yahoo's knowlede someone at Yahoo would have bitched about it and we'd know about it b/c those kinds of things don't stay secret.

daiichi

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013

The developers of the Yahoo app themselves will tell you, after all they are the ones who won the Apple design awards.

And actually Apple was smart to incorporate their stunning design into their OS, after all they're already teamed up.

As it turns out, both of the Apps are good, but but I'd say Apple's is actually better because it shows real time animations of the weather instead of pictures from Flickr.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008

It doesn't matter if that's exactly what happened. It makes for good gossip. :D Seriously though, the Yahoo app was released first in April 2013. At that point Apple had to have known their design for the iOS weather app would look strikingly similar. The base pages are essentially identical. The yahoo app actually is a little more functional so the perception will be that Apple "borrowed" heavily. Even if it is not true, the perception will still be present because the Apple app comes out after the Yahoo app. Again I'm an Apple fanboy and am actually thrilled that iOS is getting such awesome weather apps.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
I wish the iOS 7 weather app had the local radar in it. Like the Yahoo! Weather app. Thats would be a nice touch. And like said before, Flickr integration so we can have great photos in the background

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
1. Marissa Mayer (yahoo CEO) is a well known Apple fan girl- even when she was back at Google.

2. She's friends with Jony Ive. There is a photo floating around of a dinner party she hosted with Silicon Valley big shots and Ive is seated right next to her.

3. She was in the WWDC keynote audience.

4. There are rumors that Apple is working closely together with Yahoo to integrate more of their services.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The developers of the Yahoo app themselves will tell you, after all they are the ones who won the Apple design awards.

And actually Apple was smart to incorporate their stunning design into their OS, after all they're already teamed up.

As it turns out, both of the Apps are good, but but I'd say Apple's is actually better because it shows real time animations of the weather instead of pictures from Flickr.
The developers of the Yahoo! app haven't told me that. Have they told that to anyone? Where is this information?

daiichi

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
The developers of the Yahoo! app haven't told me that. Have they told that to anyone? Where is this information?
www.themoneytimes.com/featured/20130426/all-new-flickr-powered-yahoo-weather-app-here-id-1701713150.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheMoneyTimes+%28The+Money+Times%29

Yahoo Weather only came about because of the acquisitions made by Yahoo CEO. When this app came out there was no mention of Apple at all.

Last edited:

JustJeff

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
1. Marissa Mayer (yahoo CEO) is a well known Apple fan girl- even when she was back at Google.

2. She's friends with Jony Ive. There is a photo floating around of a dinner party she hosted with Silicon Valley big shots and Ive is seated right next to her.

3. She was in the WWDC keynote audience.

4. There are rumors that Apple is working closely together with Yahoo to integrate more of their services.

Guy speaks sense.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I would guess that Apple and Yahoo have discussed deeper collaboration with each other. How it all went down only the people directly involved will know. I don't think Apple copied Yahoo.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
www.themoneytimes.com/featured/20130426/all-new-flickr-powered-yahoo-weather-app-here-id-1701713150.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheMoneyTimes+%28The+Money+Times%29

Yahoo Weather only came about because of the acquisitions made by Yahoo CEO. When this app came out there was no mention of Apple at all.
And if they didn't want to or couldn't mention Apple due to the nature of their collaboration (and the fact that iOS 7 was basically still a secret then)? Lack of mentioning some information doesn't mean that information isn't there or doesn't apply.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
I just don't see this as a collaboration. There might be an agreement between Apple and Yahoo but they didn't "collaborate" on anything. It's not like they had meetings to decide the design or content. If that was the case Yahoo wouldn't have continued updating their app since they would have known Apple would be releasing the same thing.

If there is an "Agreement" or "Understanding" it feels like the same thing you might "negotiate" with a Mob boss. Yahoo is clearly a disaster and Marissa Mayer will do anything to turn it around. Trying to get on the Apple bandwagon is clearly the right idea but let's not kid ourselves into thinking Apple didn't use every ounce of their power to get the better deal and make Yahoo agree to hand over the design.

It just doesn't make sense that Yahoo would spend any time updating a weather app of all things if they had a deal with Apple to turn over that same design. No CEO, especially one at a company losing money, could justify that. Yahoo clearly spent a lot of time building and designing that app. Now they just agree to hand it over so Apple can showcase that same design as their own? Just doesn't sound right.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I just don't see this as a collaboration. There might be an agreement between Apple and Yahoo but they didn't "collaborate" on anything. It's not like they had meetings to decide the design or content. If that was the case Yahoo wouldn't have continued updating their app since they would have known Apple would be releasing the same thing.

If there is an "Agreement" or "Understanding" it feels like the same thing you might "negotiate" with a Mob boss. Yahoo is clearly a disaster and Marissa Mayer will do anything to turn it around. Trying to get on the Apple bandwagon is clearly the right idea but let's not kid ourselves into thinking Apple didn't use every ounce of their power to get the better deal and make Yahoo agree to hand over the design.

It just doesn't make sense that Yahoo would spend any time updating a weather app of all things if they had a deal with Apple to turn over that same design. No CEO, especially one at a company losing money, could justify that. Yahoo clearly spent a lot of time building and designing that app. Now they just agree to hand it over so Apple can showcase that same design as their own? Just doesn't sound right.

This could be a likely scenario.

1. Ives used the Yahoo weather app and liked the design

2. He phones up Mayer and asks her "hey I'm redisgning iOS, want to show case your weather app in the new OS?"

3. A couple of engineers on both sides work on the collaborated app

4. Yahoo still updates their app because their app has Flickr integrated and a few more features

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Yup Yahoo! is an obvious disaster with their stock almost doubling in the last year or so when a lot of stocks are still going down. Making good investments like Tumblr that only a failing company could make. Yup, disaster.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Yup Yahoo! is an obvious disaster with their stock almost doubling in the last year or so when a lot of stocks are still going down. Making good investments like Tumblr that only a failing company could make. Yup, disaster.

Please tell me you don't believe that stock price means anything about how the company is actually doing. If so then you must think Apple is going out of business. This is how Yahoo is actually doing

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/yahoo-q1-2013_n_3094799.html

And this is what Yahoo does with acquisitions

http://gizmodo.com/flashback-how-yahoo-killed-flickr-and-lost-the-interne-508852335

Btw the stock market is killing it and is at or near the highest levels in history. Bringing up the stock price is a weak and lazy argument and doesn't in any way address the core arguement of this thread.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
This could be a likely scenario.

1. Ives used the Yahoo weather app and liked the design

2. He phones up Mayer and asks her "hey I'm redisgning iOS, want to show case your weather app in the new OS?"

3. A couple of engineers on both sides work on the collaborated app

4. Yahoo still updates their app because their app has Flickr integrated and a few more features

I agree with all this except point #2. How does Apple using the Yahoo design in any way "showcase" the Yahoo app. If anything it eliminates it from being downloaded. It's not like Apple has a note saying "Desiged by Yahoo" or "Partnered with Yahoo". No one mentioned Yahoo during the keynote.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I hope it was worth it for Samsung and Google to so slavishly copy Apple because it's hurting them financially.

ummmm.gif

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I agree with all this except point #2. How does Apple using the Yahoo design in any way "showcase" the Yahoo app. If anything it eliminates it from being downloaded. It's not like Apple has a note saying "Desiged by Yahoo" or "Partnered with Yahoo". No one mentioned Yahoo during the keynote.

I might be reaching here but, in the iOS weather app it says weather.com powered by yahoo. But in yahoo's app the weather is provided by wunderground.com. Could this mean powered equals "design" in this case? Who knows

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Have you used Yahoo's own weather app? The design is practically identical, excepting Yahoo's app providing more information.

That 'more information' is part of why I agree with the notion of not having a built in weather, stocks etc app. Many folks don't need them and there are way better ones in the App Store including by Yahoo. Why would I want some of the info they have when I could get their app and have all of it.

----------

Please tell me you don't believe that stock price means anything about how the company is actually doing.

Particularly not in a world where some two bit analyst gets monster press for claims of a source that says there's a delay in this or that unannounced product and the price drops in half overnight

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.