do you think you will live long? does your family have longevity?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jun 14, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

after having taken a couple of longevity tests, i could expect to live betweeen 69 to 78

i know according to the us census, someone who was born male in the usa when i was could expect to live to nearly 67

i pretty much know that i am not the type of person that will likely live to 100 or necessarily want to

do you have longevity in your family?

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Everyone on my dad's side of the family gets cancer. I'll live to 80 at most.

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i grew up in a retirement area, which i later moved back to...and 80 is actually doing real good if you are a man

as a kid growing up and observing, i figured everybody lived to 80 since i saw tons of people in that age range...but now that i am older and more aware, i realize that those were/are mostly women

i saw a tv special on senior living in florida, and how the widows at age 70 dealt with dating...at that age, women outnumber men in that region 4 to 1

my wife used to go out dancing with her work friends and there was this one extremely fit lady who was in her late 60s at the time....looked maybe 50 or so...and said she did not like older men, because men her age drooled too much:p

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

You know that all these tests and average ages are just statistics. They classify you and look in their databases how long an equal person lived. But that's why they don't say anything about a special person. You could live longer and shorter and there were people that lived longer or died earlier. So the age you were told is just an average.

I'm sure I will live long and hope to reach at least the 100. Not because there are stats that make me believe so, and even not because my family has longevity (not at all), but just because I think that an optimistic view will help you in becoming older. Less stress is healthy!

5. void macrumors 6502

I think I will live pretty long, My Grandfather just died yesterday at 87, I'm just about to leave for the airport for the funeral

6. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Yeah, you have to figure that men are more likely to be overweight, heavy drinkers, smokers (though women are all catching up) so that figures into why men are suppose to live shorter lives than women.

I had a grandfather die of lymphoma and my grandmother die of pancreatic cancer (she drank alot of sweet-n-low too). My grandmother that's still alive has altzheimers (spell?) and my other grandfather had prostate cancer and lots of kidney stones but got that taken care of. Now, he has muscular distrophy of the throat. That's the scary one because eventually he's not going be able to keep any food down at all. My mom knows she's going to get it because she has trouble swallowing some things.

So I guess I can take my pick right?

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

sorry to hear that. I hope the service is properly done ....

8. iGav macrumors G3

My Grandad (Dad's Dad) died in his early 60's... 63 I think...

My Dad died at 46

So the direct male side of my family dies young...

My Granma (Dad's Mum) lived to 85 and her Mum to 97 so things are alittle better there...

As for my Mum's side, her Mum lived to 85, and her Dad is 80 next month and still going strong...

Heart Attacks and Cancer are the big 2 killers in my family...

We also average 1 family funeral a year. :(

9. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

As I'm only 11 I'm not sure but I have a feeling I will get Cancer. I don't think anyone has had cancer in my family, but...oh well. Does Cancer usually flow in the family or is it kind of just a thing you get?

10. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Man, why so depressive??? You can't be sure about it, so I wouldn't care more than perhaps not eating some things and be careful with others. You ruin your life, if you go on thinking this way.

11. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

My whole Dad's side has heart problems... but my Grandfather and Grandmother lived until their 80's so they didn't really die young. But I'm pretty sure I'll also die due to heart problems...

irmongoose

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

what's strange is that the worst three fatal factors in my life are gender, family history, and weight according to a northwestern mutual life longevity test

but i can't change my male gender i was born with and suddenly say i was born a female...yes, women live longer

and i cannot erase some of the health problems on my mother's side of the family who came and went before me

but i do have control over my weight, so it is there where i can hopefully add time to my life by eating a sensible diet and exercising for life

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

where do they live? all in one area of the country? or...?

14. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Listen, it doesn't matter how long whatever relative lives - there's always that random chance you could drop dead tomorrow or be flattened by a speeding Arctic.

Live life for what it is. For the now - and forget about dying, it'll come soon enough.

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

The same thing here, but I'm more concern about how I'm going to spend all those years. To reach the 80's in a guetto is different than doing in it under a good retirement.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Is the Northwestern Mutual Life Longevity Test available online?

17. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I think that I will probably live a long time. (knocks on wood :D) One of my grandfather's (my dad's dad) is 87. Then my mom's parents are still living in their early 70's fairly well. I had a great-gradmother who lived past 90. And she was in pretty good health up until a few weeks before she died.

18. vniow macrumors G4

My family is pretty healthy body-wise...few heart problems and a couple people with diabetes but nothing too out of the ordinary...its the mind that the grandkids have to worry about in my family...there's quite a few with schizophrenia and so far none of the grandkids have shown any signs of it, but it sure as hell could explain a lot in my case...

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the only disease i know of that's going through my family like wildfire is alcoholism on the male side of things

beer me

20. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

i dont know but i need to start taking vitamins. i have horrible eating habits. im still not use to the fact that i WILL die one day. its hard to believe and its a FACT. well have fun now. dont let anyone steal your good time.

21. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

actually, it's one of several and i should have put a link while i thought about it...a simple search on longevity will bring up different tests...the other test was one i can't remember the origin of

the big factors affecting one's chances are gender, weight, smoking, exercise, family history and the tests will ask some questions on those

i fooled with the different factors pretending to be different people at different weights and different family history and the most deciding factor was gender...women live many years longer than men...they are the tougher sex

i think the baby boomers lived in an age where the expectancy was just better than mid-60s and now it's almost ten years better due to things like people knowing about red meat, fat, smoking, salt, drinking, and exercise

22. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i worked pt in a hospital for three years...that was an eye opener

we all know 80 year olds somewhere in our family or extended family and start thinking that if they can do it, so can you...as if it's a right like freedom of speech in america...but the truth is that 70s would really great/fantastic for some people who live in struggling health starting in their 40s or sooner

i know a lady who has degenerative back disease, cataracts, stigmatism, panic attacks, manic depression, weight issues being 100-150 lbs overweight, severe medical morphine addiction, memory loss, hair loss, and other problems which have plagued her for years...she is in her 40s and may live ten more years

despite her almost hopeless situation, she lives as if she will make it into her 80s and keeps an optomistic viewpoint on life and though it's highly unrealistic, it has kept her going this far and many doctors have seen much healthier people die sooner

23. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I don't know that much about my family's longevity, I only knew my grandparents from my mothers side and they both died from lung cancer so they wouldn't be good examples, but I take pretty good care of myself, ok so I don't excersize as much as I should but I eat really well and drink a lot of green tea etc. so I should live long if it depends on my health, I could walk outside and get hit by a car though so who knows really?

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I pray that you don't have or develop schizophrenia vinow. It usually hits 18 - 24 year olds. On the bright side, many with mental illness have gone on to greatness, Mike Wallace. I suffer from mental illness myself, hope no one will look down on me!

http://www.narsad.org/

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Optimism is really a big factor in illness and longevity of life. It can suprise physicians! If you find a link, I'd be interested!