Do you trust Iran?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Dec 8, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I just watched a new BBC Hardtalk with the Ambassador of Iran to the UN, concerning it's Nuclear aspirations, the resultant wrangling with the West and with some mention of the goings-on in neighboring Iraq.

I thought some interesting points were made on both sides. I will hold off further comments until more people have had a chance to view the video, but basically it comes down to:

Do you trust Iran?

Check out the video and comment, though feel free to regardless...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/4075259.stm

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

No, but I don't trust our reasons for being involved in the Middle East either.

Both sides are lying, but only one is in the others back yard. If they were bringing Islamic fundamentalism and political repression to me I would want to nuke them as well.

Not that it's right, but I am not going to pretend that everything we do in the world as a nation is with the best intentions. Not even close.

Nor am I going to try and defend Iran and their intentions. But I know that there would be considerably less malice if were not there.

3. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

I am not sure what you mean here. Could you clarify?

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It's the opposite of spreading Freedom and Democracy. We are Infidels aren't we?

Course they could be honest about it and say that they just want to destroy us.

Rather than claiming they actually want to help us or anything.

Course, they would have to have a reason to come here. I don't think "hating freedom" is very convincing.

5. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

You have a much more pessimistic view of Iran than I do. Why would they want to destroy us?

Iran is not as prone to fundamentalism as some other Countries we are allied with, such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

They are a pretty progressive and sophisticated country. On what do you base your opinion of their negative intentions towards the West and/or the US?

*edit* are you being ironic?

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

No, we are the great Satan, defender of the Jews, heathen infidels, invaders in the their holy land and at various times we have had our fingers in everyones pie.

We supported Iraq with chemical weapons when they were fighting Iran. We supplied Contras with weapons to help establish a more US friendly administration.

The US constantly plays Arab nations against eachother to weaken OPEC.

How can you not say that there is building resentment towards us?

7. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Because of money. The Iranian government, like many others wants to make more of it and the US is a good friend to have to that end.

Much of the "Great Satan" stuff is merely rhetoric, to placate some elements of the populace. There is also complicated issues surrounding the Caucasus and Russian influence vis-a-vis Oil pipeline issues. It is important to have powerful allies. The Iranians are not necessarily against the Jews, although they are quiet about it. They received weapons and aid from Israel during the Iraq-Iran War for example.

Still, anyone watch the clip?

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well that's very high minded of you, I guess their nuclear program is just for energy afterall.

9. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

I didn't say that. I am not sure. That is why I started the thread.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Your President calls them the Axis of Evil: what's the difference? The rest of it is true. So what?

Maybe I misunderstand you, but are you saying that because the US has had an inept foreign policy in the region, which has generated sympathy for anti-US sentiment, that is a reason to wipe them out? The logic is beyond me...

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

No, you're not following. I am suggesting that if they are building a nuclear weapon to use against us it is because we have brought it upon ourselves.

And while I don't agree with what they are doing. I would do the same if I were in their position.

The course of action I would take is to leave their holy land. I've long supported finding alternatives to oil and developing self sufficiency when it comes to energy.

I've even posted possible alternatives.

The fact is, I believe that a lot of our own actions are starting to come back to haunt us.

Because of the cost of war and the ability of terrorism to easily shift bases, I think it is easier for them to eventually accomplish what they want. If we choose to continue the way we have been, that is.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ah, now I understand. The subtlety of your irony went right over my head... :eek:

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I find it hypocritical to rage against Iran when I know our actions are not so pure themselves.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

To be succinct, I trust them about as much as I trust my own government at this juncture. Not a good place to be in.

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I trust the people of Iran, they are generally intelligent and progressive compared to most of the Middle East. They were the only Muslim nation I know of that held candlelight vigils after the 9/11 attacks. Their President and legislature can be dealt with, they are pro-reform and pro-democracy. The real problem is the "Council of Guardians" and "Supreme Leader" that have been installed in their government. The President and legislature are powerless since every move they take must be approved by the Council of Guardians, a private club of Islamic clerics.

Iran is suffering from the same problem that Europe suffered from in the Middle Ages, direct church involvement in government. I see a lot of the Middle East's problems as analogous to Medieval Europe.

If you're interested in the pro-reform and pro-democracy movements in Iran, I recommend taking a look at Free Iran.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i would say there are few countries out there who i wouldn't trust at all and iran isn't one of them...

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk