Do you trust Nintendo after the gamecube?

Discussion in 'Games' started by coffey7, Jul 9, 2006.

1. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Everyone is dumping sony to get a Wii.I really don't understand why? Is it price only? I was really mad when I bought a gamecube and it had really bad support from 3rd party developers. I really don't think sony is going to fall off the map. How many great games will the Wii have? I will have to wait and see. I just hope Nintendo is not just pulling everyones chains. They better not pull what they did with the gamecube.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The ps3 is expensive and they hype it up and they also downgrade the features. Personally the 360 is great and am getting a wii since ive always liked nintendo

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Some people just dont like sony so they see fit to spit fire at them. Whats wrong with the gamecube?....GC was a good console except for the 3rd party that dogged the system.....Wii should be fine, there are a lot of 3rd party company on board this time.

PS3 will hit hard again and take the gaming world by storm once again

Bless

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

From my stand point I think Nintendo are winning over developers because of 2 very big, very important factors that I consider myself as a developer. They're both related too.

- Production cost. A game has a budget, if you spend decades and millions on a game that you're only going to see a fraction of returned, then why bother? You don't want to lose money. the flip side of this is the expenditure is bounced back to consumers - in the form of overpriced games.

- Ease of development. Easy=quicker dev time=better. Very simple really.

So far the Wii has proved right in those 2 points, even though the system isn't out yet. We know, at least from a number of devs and Nintendo that the Wii is easier to code for than the Gamecube, which itself was in retaliation to the N64. where developers cried at how hard it was to create games for. So they made it the easiest system, and it gets easier still with the Wii.
    It's like Nintendo's whole new ideology, instead of isolating the market (360) or shrinking it (PS3), Nintendo are expanding to make things easier and better for devs and consumers.

And of course I trust the system and team that arguably brought us the best games of last gen (just opinion really) with the legendary new Metroid Prime, the game that somehow makes the sun shine - Twilight Princess. the wonderful PS1 remakes of Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid (I loved PS1). the system that brought us Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe. And of course - Smash Bros Melee. Why would I not trust the people who brought us them games?

But from the consumers point of view. The Wii is cheap and it's hoping to bring a larger, normally non-gamer market to us. Just look at the DS. I'm playing games against my parents again, my sister, even my gran spent a fair few hours playing with my Nintendogs. Frankly I don't see how anyone can be opposed to that, unless you're an elitist snob. Broader appeal= more devs= potentially better games= w00ts all round.

The key here is Nintendo are broadening and Sony are shrinking their target markets. That's it.

PS. I challenge anyone to find a console since the year dot that has done well in market that cost more than £301. go! and have fun. though I could just spoil it and mention - 3D0, CD-i, Neo Geo. Are Sony any different? All I'm seeing is similarities.

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I thought as a system the Gamecube was perfect. It had, hands down, the best control scheme for the last gen consoles. It had, hands down, the best load times for the last gen consoles. It had a good library of first party software... a less than stellar library of third party software, but included gems such as Eternal Darkness and RE4.

You could also play gameboy games on it if you had the adapter.

And if you had the gameboy you could hook it up for some games...

What are you pissed off about? That you couldn't play DVDs and CDs on it?

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would not go that far, but I did enjoy using my Gamecube. :)

Although, I did not enjoy using it as much as I did my Xbox.... :D

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A question I'd like to ask, if the OP doesn't mind.

Do you trust Sony after the PS2?

We had faulty systems galore, I remember shops offering special warranties and computer shops trying to replace PS2 lasers. Of course there was the Power Brick issue in the slimline PS2 that was a little dangerous. Do you really trust Sony to give you a Nintendo-quality system for £500? or will we have to rebuy a PS3 years down the line due to major hardware failures?
    I remember buying PSP's was a gamble, hoping you had no dead pixels or screen problems. and the PS1 had laser issues too.

so, do you trust Sony with their track record of broken machines and lies to the public?

8. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I love my Gamecube, yeah 3rd party companies pulled out from it, but it's my favorite Nintendo system next to the NES and Nintendo DS.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Wii and, assuming I have the money, will buy one day of release. As owner of the PS1 and PS2 I will pass on the PS3 for probably a long long time (mainly because of price). I like Nintendo's idea of taking the gaming industry in a different direction with the DS and Wii systems. I haven't been this excited for games in probably a decade.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good question raggedjimmi! :eek: :)

10. benyaimin macrumors member

I beg to differ....

11. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

in the new issue of PSM, they do a full "PS3 vs 360" article. Even the cover of the magazine said "IS PS3 REALLY WORTH 600?" They made several good points. First, PS3 comes with a wireless tilt controller, 2nd, every buyer is guranteed a 60 gig HDD (600 model). Xbox charges 100 for a 20 gig HD (if you got the crap package). Soo, the 400 dollar model is the way to go. But then theres WiFi. PS3=Built in. Xbox=$100 adapter. Also, if blu-ray takes off, everyone who bought a ps3, has a player for it.

There are several more points the article makes, but i dont have the magazine infront of me to reference. I havent gotten a 360 because ive been putting all my money into my car sound system. I think ill buy one when they come out though. Itll be woth it.

12. socamx macrumors 6502

Do I trust Nintendo after the GameCube? What kind of question is that? I loved the GameCube and every other console they ever released. This is including the Virtual Boy.. I had fun with that thing for the short while we had it.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

lol dont mention the name "sony" around here, all the Big N fanboys soil their pants to rip into Sony at any chance.

I personally think the GC was a joke. It has only a handful of good games, and its multi-platform games were simply better on other systems. But, it is cheap, has a few spectacular games and is a good party system. But I think the biggest joke of it is that it gets, what? one new game a month? There is no good support for it and if Wii is the same then it will be another GC, popular enough but a bottomfeeder.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Caroline brought up a great point, though she wasn't the first.
    "if you can't afford a £450 games console then you're not going to buy one" pointing out that the Sony reign in their house is about to end. I'm another walking example, I could afford a £300 console at the most. out of disposable money.

There are people out there, people who currently have PS2's (UK people know these as chavs) who will not be able to afford a PS3. These are people who can't afford computers. people who live on the dole, or on Job seekers. there are students, and children, people with mortgages, with loans, with no money.

and I bring you to the point; Sony are shrinking their market. Can nobody else see that? expensive=inaccessible. Fanboys will pawn, steal, murder for a PS3 but do you think casual gamer Joe will? A lesson in economics is needed.

15. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

The PS3 may (thats a big may) be worth $600, but that is just too much money. I would love to buy a PS3 when it comes out, but i know after a year or two, the price is gonna drop. If i do decide to get a PS3, i will wait until the price is under at least $300.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know ;) sadly it will likely go unseen and fade into the background. I'm off to bed now. pity this is going to heat up somewhat too.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

After seeing the PS2 for the first time, I decided that it was not worth the price. The games on the original Playstation were okay but not spectacular. I expected more of the same on the PS2.

After the GameCube was available, I was impressed. It seemed to have a smoother way about it from graphics to the controller. Having bought a GameCube during the Metroid Prime $149.99 package deal, I'm more pleased with the quality of the games and game play than I ever would have been with the PS2.

There aren't as many games for GameCube but I don't want to peruse a bunch of junk to get to the few good games that exist on any platform.

I expect the Wii to be incredibly good with only the initial price to disappoint me.

18. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

lol by that5 time the slimline ps3 will be out and well all be discussing whether PS4 is worth $1000 :p

19. mkaake macrumors 65816

I trust them.

:)

The 'cube is the first console that I've bought during it's generation. I haven't regretted it, but then, I don't play too often (a few hours during the week, a few on the weekend), and I like the games that are available for it (Metroid Prime, Timesplitters, Various Mario games, etc.).

On the other hand, I enjoy certain games on the other consoles, but I wouldn't spend money to buy them. They're consoles I play when I'm visiting someone else's house... nothing more. Once they're no longer current gen, if I can pick them up cheap (and functional...) along with the 1 or 2 games I enjoy on them, I'll get them and add them to my collection.

Re: Sony / PS3... I'm one of the people who gets on Sony when they do stupid things... that doesn't mean I'm anti-sony, it doesn't mean I'm a fanboy... it means that I don't let my love/hate for a *game console* affect my judgement as to a companies actions. The PS3 will succeed, but the price point they've set *will* exclude *many* people from participating. They keep toting how it's a great price for what you get... that's great. And it is. But not everyone *wants* to have "what you get". People buy consoles because they want to play games. You don't need blu-ray to play a game... you don't need HD-DVD to play games. Saying that a console is worth it's price because it's cheaper than anything else that has functionality you don't care about is kind of a weak argument.

And again. I don't hate sony. But there are a lot of people who would love to own the PS3 that just plain won't be able to afford it - period.

As for the 360 (although this whole thread was about trusting nintendo), I'm not a personal fan, but I have no problem with people who have / enjoy it... I fully expect people to love it (just like people will love the PS3). It's price is a little high (though I don't remember what it's like now after the price cut), but it'll succeed... because there aren't any other next-gen offerings available yet, and it has the installed user base. On top of that, it'll get a lot of would-be PS3 owners who just can't afford to get the PS3.

But back to trusting Nintendo... they didn't have strong 3rd party on the Cube... and that's what brought it a lot of it's complaints. That would really bother me about the Wii, but they've come out loudly exclaiming that it was a fault, and they're working hard to fix that. Looking at the list of launch titles, and 3rd parties that have promised, and are working on games? I think they've got the problem nabbed in the butt. Not to mention they'll be about the only ones that you'll be able to get indy developer games from... I think that'll be a huge boon in the future...

Anyway, I'm just ranting at this point, and I should shut up now....

20. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Well if the Wii is as good as the DS Lite than I trust them. (I have 8 great DS games and counting!) I haven't had this much fun with a console in years. (Much less a handheld) At 200 it will be easy to give it a try compared to 400-600 for a 360 or PS3. Also, many don't have HDTVs to utilize the graphics of the PS3 or 360. The games will be cheaper and it will be easier to get your girlfriend, Sister, Mom or other non-gamer friends to play it. Hopefully the control system meets the hype. Finally, Nintendos are built like tanks compared to Sony or Microsoft's offerings. Unless something changes I see the sales rankings ending with the 360 in first, Wii in second, and PS3 in third. (and the Wii winning on revenue)

After getting my DS lite I took an inventory of my favorite games and, while many were on PC and various consoles, I was surprised that many were on the original NES. Nintendo still makes great games...

21. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Ferraris are definitely worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, but could you afford one? No. That brings us to the PS3. Even IF it is worth the $600, most people might want one, but can't afford it. Plus, that's just $600 for the console. A game or two plus tax brings it closer to $750.

Buy a computer instead, it'll do more.

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I trust no company....Nintendo has its flaws as well as Sony and Microsoft. Sony for the past couple of years done well in the console arena no matter if the console had problems....the games was better on the PS2 over both the xbox and GC....

PS2 is one of the greatest consoles out there (I never had one problem with my 7 year old console)

When I look at the Wii I see another generation of playing but I don't think it will stand the test(it will do good in its first two years).....Just like how people think HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is not needed...I think the wiimote will grow old and lag once more behind sony and microsoft(I would like to see different but...)

I really couldn't stand my PS1 and N64...Thought they were the worst consoles ever but hey its only my opinion.

Bless

23. HGW macrumors member

the use of non rechargable batterys for the controller could ruin the situation

24. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Thanks for all the input. I was a little upset about the game cube. I didn't seem to buy to many games for it. I just liked the big titles, and of course resident evil. When a game came out for all the systems I bought it for the xbox. I do currently own all the systems(including xbox 360). I am just going to wait and see how the Wii does with getting the games out. I really am not a fanboy at all. I have no interest in any of the companys. I just want to play good games. I just hope Nintendo can come up with some new and fresh games. It looks like they might be able to pull this off. Even though I bought all the systems last time I might not be able to do this again. Its getting a little to pricey.I already bought a hd tv and macbook. I spent this year like a drunken sailor.
    Sony did make lots of people mad with the problems with the ps2's. I remember seeing walls of broken ps2's in game stores(waiting to be fixed). If i'm spending $600 on a system it better work for at least 3 years.

25. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Not even Apple 2nyRiggz?! :eek: ;) :D