Do you try to convert others?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by neoelectronaut, Jul 16, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Now that you've seen the light in the form of Apple and OS X, do you try to convert others?

I do, at least. People are annoyed by it, but whenver they have trouble with Windows (95-XP) They always ask me to help. I help, but I'm like, "This wouldn't be a problem if you used a Mac."

In particular, my girlfriend has a custom-built PC that gives her nothing but trouble. Restarts itself, viruses and spyware out the wazoo, freezes, and all kinds of other stuff.

I believe I've convinced her to get an iBook. And if not, I guess I'll have to do some more convincing.
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Girl/boyfriends, immediate family (wife/your own children) get help no matter the platform. Immediate family (parents and siblings) and very close friends get help sometimes... others... I grumble my way out of it... :) And tell 'em to get a Mac... then I tell them I'll be their tech support.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I'm willing to mention little things when viruses hit or something like that, but I don't try to convert other people. It's more of a headache than anything else. People usually cling to flawed reasoning in order to support their need to run Windows.

The smarter of the group will find their way eventually. :)
  4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    The only person I'm trying to outright convert is my Mom. Once she falls, I think others in my family may as well. But many of my friends now have Powerbooks, after seeing mine. Actually, 6 of my closer friends do, with the exception of a couple, who got iBooks. These were all either Windows users, or people that had no computer before.

Lee Tom
  5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Everybody knows I love the Mac platform. I talk a lot about the cool things I can do and how easy it is to do them. When people ask me for advice on a new computer I suggest they check out a Mac. I don't actively try to convert though--that would be obnoxious.

Eh, except for my mom. I bought her an iMac. That was pretty heavy handed but I got sick of doing Windows tech support for her. She's happier now though.
  6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    All my family members use Macs, thats why I got into them.

As far as anybody asking me for help, I give them a lecture on how Macs are better then tell them to type this:
    C:/ Format C:

Mac users get my full atention why trying to help.
  7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    You bet ya, I convert my friends!

I usually show-off my Macs at home to them. Showing them how cool and good-looking a Mac is, casually giving a small demo of the iApps..... all without virusses (viri??).
    If they want to they can play a game too.

Once they start to get interested, I show them what's for sale.... That's the hard bit. "OMG! What prices!"
    Luckily I can get quite cheap second hand stuff from my work (always a couple of iMacs written off), and sell them one of those for a very good price.
    It usually takes between a couple of weeks to a couple of months before they buy a brand new one. :)
    Ofcourse I reassure them I will be their tech-support guy, but they hardly ever call for a problem... ;) Just for beers! :p
  8. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i don't go around saying "if you had a Mac..." cause that's just annoying. i've heard it from Mac, PC, Windows, Linux users and that's not the point.

i personally just use my PowerBook and that does all the talking. i was just talking to a friend of mine who a year ago was against Mac. i got him interested in Linux and today he was telling me that he's thinking about getting a PowerBook.

if you try and sell it then people think, why's he trying to sell this?

if you are confident and have nothing to prove, get things done faster, and have a better looking desktop the whole while... that's what impressed people. :D
  9. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    No, I don't try to convert anyone. I'm actually annoyed sometimes when people ask me "Well what's the difference? A computer is a computer." or "How is it better than windows?" You can give them all the techno babble you want, or even try to explain it all in Layman's terms, but sooner or later (usually sooner) their eyes just glaze over and they stop listening. I tell them to try one out at a store next time.
    If they are really interested, I can tell and I'll explain more, or let them try my machine out, but usually it's just 2 questions, then they're not interested anymore.
    I've tried numerous times to convert my dad because his awful pos windows machine just will not work properly. No sound, then no internet, then 3 copies of each email in his inbox. Not to mention zillions of pop-ups, and kinds of spyware - it's obnoxious. So I gave him my old iBook and sat down with him teaching him how to use it. He used it once, then just left it under his desk and continued to use his pc.
    Last time I'm ever giving him anything :mad:

They'll find the path when they're ready to switch.
  10. Tremaine macrumors member

Apr 13, 2004
    I don't talk to people that don't like Macs... :D

Actually I just successfully convert my parents. It only took them about 15 years to see the light. It started when they needed a CD player to take travelling now that they are retired. Then my father saw MP3 players and thought he should call me and ask my opinion. I told him to go check out the iPods at our local Apple store. The Apple guys took a lot of time with them and said all the right things. Next thing I know, they call up and start asking what I think of the Powerbooks. Hooked! I suspect they will own one in a couple of weeks (or at least when it finally ships). Since they plan to live abroad for a few months each year, they really like the AppleCare program, too.
  11. iHambone macrumors newbie

Jan 29, 2003
    St. Louis, MO. USA
    Every chance I get.....

I'm of the, "oh, you're having problems with your computer?", clan.

Everyone I know uses Windows, so I get pretty annoying.

But yeah, I try to convert everyone.
  12. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    "Get a Mac" is my favorite answer to every computer question I hear, but nobody wants to hear it. The closest I've come to a fist fight in about 15 years was over my iBook.
  13. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    most of my friends tell sure they would switch, but being a windows programmer makes them a lot of money. oh the irony.
  14. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2004
    Los Angeles.
    When asked by my friends how to fix something... I usually reply with.... " Oh... thats a weird problem.... but i dont remember how to fix it cause i dont run windows anymore..." THen they'll usually reply with "Whaaaaat?" or something to the effect. After that, I guess I describe it for them... I've converted 2 people... convinced a friend to buy 15" PowerBook and another friend into a 12" ibook :-D

PS: The guy that bought the ibook bought a new Dell a few months ago.... and is totally fed up with it :)
  15. davecuse macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2004
    I work at a software company currently doing tech support, we make strictly Windows based stuff, nonetheless I've managed to convert 4 out of 30 there to Apple.

I've also gotten my family to switch in short order, my parents were getting hit with a ton of virii and got really sick of it. That one wasn't too hard a sell.

In the past 5 months I've gotten 4 of my friends to switch, from Win ME. Those weren't too tough a sell.

The most interesting convert I've had was a teller at my bank (a cute one at that). I went in and asked if they were going to revise their online banking site to support Safari, she asked me why I use a Mac and I told her how much more secure it was than Windows. She knows I work at a software company so I guess she took my word for it. A couple weeks ago she told me that I'd convinced her to get an Apple. Step one complete, now i just need her digits :D
  16. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    I don't really try and convert people, although I will tell people to consider a mac, if they are looking for a computer and I regularly get asked questions about my mac stuff. I've got two to switch since Christmas and another two considering it if they can find the money and a suitably priced machine. Also my gf really wants to switch but can't afford it, I wish I could afford to get her a PB as a present :(
  17. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2003
    Oh god don't open that can of worms!

18. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Canada GTA
    i've successfully recruited one. it's not so much a covnert since he's not biased against macs in the first place. but i steered him in the right direction. and then after my parent's computer got hit bad by viruses, spywares and adwares, they told me they'd like to get a mac the first chance they got (money). and another friend at school wants a mac, and after seeing my powerbook, he's definitely getting one.

i try to convert people all the time.
  19. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
    I try to stay away from religion in conversations. I've come to recognize that a person will believe what the want to believe, no matter what the facts are.

As far as computer system conversions, I've really only tried to change the mind of one. And I don't think that I will make him change, he makes his living from tech support for Winbloze machines.
  20. paulypants macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    I always try to help people out by pointing out the beauty of the mac platform, and having a local apple store for them to check out def helps.

I have converted many many people...

...I have started my own macintosh cell. ;)
  21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I don't like converting people...

Though I do enjoy watching people flounder around in blissful ignorance.

Almost as much fun as going to a keg party at a frat with your camera, and staying sober.
  22. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand

Courtesy of Applegeeks :D
  23. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Nermal - that's funny! I haven't successfully switched anyone, but I do let people know that I'm a Mac user.
  24. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Apr 9, 2003
    Converting others to the Macintosh Platform can be a very touchy ordeal just as in trying to convert in a religious sense. I do not actively try to convert people anymore. I have converted about a dozen people in the past 7 years or so. It was easy to convert most of them because they were generally unbiased in regards to platform. People are reluctant to switch mostly becase of Cost and secondly and sometimes more importantly the fear of the learning curve or if not fear the hassle of having to get used to new technology.