Do you turn off your airport when you aren't using it?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by burritos, Jan 31, 2003.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    when i am on battery- yes. My reason being that I hope the card is going to sleep.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

3. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Only if I'm going to use the ethernet instead (for faster file transfers or something)

4. burritos thread starter macrumors member

5. morlium macrumors regular

the base station is meant to be on at all times.

6. burritos thread starter macrumors member

On all times?

is there a problem with repeatedly unplugging it?

7. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: On all times?

Not really I guess but why would you want to? I don't think they consume that much power or anything...

8. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

My Base Station has been on for well over a year now-solid. There is nothing in the manual or anything that suggest that you need to turn it off. I think the fact that it doesn't have an off/on switch is evidence of the idea that it should just stay on.

My 2¢

Regards,
    Gus

9. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I have the original graphite base station and it is exhibiting the capacitor problem, meaning that it resets itself every 10 mins or so. It resets itself every 5 seconds when the iBook is connected to another computer on my local network.

Time to get another one I guess.

10. cubist macrumors 68020

Argh! Is that the symptom? I noticed mine doing that the other day. Annoying!

Supposedly it is easy to fix. You just unsolder and replace some 47uf/10v electrolytic capacitors.

Does it keep cooler if it is on its side instead of laying flat?

11. JonD macrumors member

Lol, no... 24/7 for the airport baby. Without it, my dorm-room/suite wouldn't be complete.

12. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Question

Is there a way to password protect the use of a base station. I know you can just automatically get on, buy can I protect it with a password? Thanks in advance.

James

13. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: Question

Absolutely. The Airport base stations have the best security for any wireless routers at their price. For wireless routers the most common way to password protect is with a "WEP" key (I think the letters stand for Wireless Encryption Protocol or something). All the key is is a password that users have to enter before they can join the network. I don't have an Airport Base Station (I use a D-Link router), so you'll have to read your documentation to find out how to use WEP keys.

Also, unless you want to share your network publicly, you should filter by MAC address (on your Airport Card it would be called the Airport ID). This way, you only let specific computers join you network. Again, you'll have to read you documentation to find out how to let only specific Airport IDs (or MAC addresses) join your network.

14. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. The reason I am asking is a friend of mine is opening a coffee shop, and we are looking into ways to get internet access in the shop.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Re: Question

It's Wired Equivalent Privacy/Protection (note the use of the word 'equivalent') i believe and it basically means it'll prevent the average joe from getting in but useless because it's not that difficult to hack. You're better off not using a WEP key.
    Oh and there's basically no way to prevent unauthorized use of a wireless network. So maybe you shouldn't try. Or maybe someone should come up with a more secure wireless network.

16. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: Re: Re: Question

That's not true at all. There are much more advanced technologies than WEP. For example, AirPort base stations support 801.x security technologies like EAP (namely Cisco's LEAP security technology), and authorization by external RADIUS servers, etc. I don't quite understand all of it, but from what I gather the technology is definitely considered secure enough to deploy for situations where security is critical.