Do you turn your iphone off at night?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heyp, Aug 12, 2008.

?

Do you turn your iphone off at night?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. No

644 vote(s)
    91.5%
  1. macrumors 6502

Just curious how many turn their iphone off at night to save battery cycles... I noticed that for some reason my usage would increase dramatically at night as described in this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=531463&highlight=usage+increase ... however, I do not get this increase in usage if I have wifi off, but it lead me to question why I leave it on at night anyway

2. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

At night, I usually have it plugged into to my computer via sync cable so it's getting a charge. When fully charged the iPhone will just run off power from the cable, so it won't use the battery. So because of that, I see no reason to turn it off.

3. macrumors 68040

Badandy

Of course I have it on at night, it's my alarm clock every morning.

4. macrumors 6502a

absolutely not. and risk missing drunken texts at 3 in the morning?

5. macrumors member

So true, even though I think they get delivered anyways.

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors 68000

cal6n

ditto this

8. macrumors 68020

ditto this ditto

Mine sits in its dock, charging on my night table, and wakes me up every morning.

9. macrumors 6502a

The godphone has an off button? Why would anyone ever want to turn it off? :confused:

Hehehe. Nope. Never turn it off.

10. macrumors regular

Night time is when you should be charging your iPhone for the next day. It is the one time where you will not be using it for a few hours thus allowing it to charge. :apple:

11. macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I put it in airplane mode(uses next to no battery). since it's my alarm clock, I kinda need it on.

12. macrumors regular

I use it for my alarm too, so I leave it on (but plugged in) every night.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm, so leaving it plugged in all night does no harm to the battery?

14. macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I leave mine on all the time except when I'm flying. I skip the airplane mode and just turn it off all together. And use my iPod Touch for music and videos.

15. macrumors 68020

Ntombi

I've never turned any of my cell phones off at night, why would I start now?

16. macrumors 68000

Mine gets turned off at night. Don't need it since I have a landline phone available to me.

17. macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Yeah I was wondering if there is any reason too turn it off everyday?.?

I had the idiot from Cox Cable tell me to turn my cable box off every night. I don't and it seems to work just fine. :) I can't think of a reason to turn off a cell phone... maybe to clear the memory???

18. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

Nope, the battery will only take what it needs and when fully charged, won't take any more.At that point the phone just uses power coming from the cable.

I guess you could argue that turning the phone on and off might clear up any memory leaks and make the phone run more stable, but it doesn't need to be off for several hours. Turning it right back on just after turning it off should do the trick just as well.

In any case, my iPhone runs for days on end without too much of a problem, so I never really bothered unless I'm having trouble right then and there.

19. thread starter macrumors 6502

i mean in all likelihood, most people here will have a new iphone before their battery were to crap out but turning it off at night would save battery cycles in terms of having to charge it every third day instead of every other day... anyhow, i was just curious... i assumed the majority wouldn't bother turning it off especially because i think that most just leave it plugged in over night so it's fully charged when they get up

20. macrumors 6502

I do

I turn it off every 2 or 3 nights. My reasoning.......iPhone 3G is like a computer with OS, every once in a while rebooting it just speed things up and clear the memory.

Who knows...maybe that's why my sync only takes 2-3 min unless I am downloading musics or movies, doesn't crash or freeze.....and I am not upgrading it to 2.01 (knock on wood!)

21. macrumors 6502a

My phone goes to bed with me and stays on :) I dont use it as an alarm..yet...til school starts backup, but I do fall to sleep listening to music.
    I charge my phone all day while Im at work, so no need to charge it at night.

22. macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Nope. Haven't had a land line in 10 years. This thing stays on all the time; though at night, the ringer's on vibrate and the text/email notifications are turned off.

23. macrumors 65816

24. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If I turned it off I would miss those call from my friends to bail them out at 3:00a.m.! :p

25. macrumors regular

bamafever09

mines n 24/7. why turn it off and not get woken up at 4 am by drunk friends?? :p