Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I have a 2011 27" iMac at home, but right now, I'm typing this from my MacBook, while it's charging.

I've noticed that ever since I got my MacBook, I've been almost exclusively using it as my main Mac. Despite having a much bigger screen, which means more working desktop space, I'm using the MacBook for just about everything, and the iMac is now solely for syncing my iPhone and iPod.

Reactions: macintoshmac

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
my 13" pro was my only mac. now, with the 12", i use this one for 80% of everything; on the go, mail, safari, etc.. and the pro is my 'work' machine (mostly logic X, some FCP), almost always at my desk. love having both.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yes the rMB was a good example of what really is required for your personal daily drivers with some light out of office work when you really try. Its surprising how much value you can get with such a portable device that's easy to hand.

You can probably understand more why some say they can get bye with just an IPad now :)

Personally I loved the footprint but eventually caved in and tried the SP4 for greater flexibility and better options

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have a 2011 27" iMac at home, but right now, I'm typing this from my MacBook, while it's charging.

I've noticed that ever since I got my MacBook, I've been almost exclusively using it as my main Mac. Despite having a much bigger screen, which means more working desktop space, I'm using the MacBook for just about everything, and the iMac is now solely for syncing my iPhone and iPod.

That is one expensive dock and charger you got. o_O :p

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

yeah, actually... why not use the MB for syncing the iphone/ipod?? and sell the imac??

Reactions: Jayderek

Asthmatic Kitty

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014

I am in exactly the same situation, with the exact same iMac! Currently looking at selling the iMac and getting a monitor to replace it with, as it's a bit of a waste having it just sitting there. I think it's mainly the SSD that makes it seem so much faster than the iMac, amazing what a difference that makes.

Speaking of which, if anyone has any good monitor recommendations for the 2015 macbook, please post them in my thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/monitor-options-in-the-uk.2028573/

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
I am in exactly the same situation, with the exact same iMac! Currently looking at selling the iMac and getting a monitor to replace it with, as it's a bit of a waste having it just sitting there. I think it's mainly the SSD that makes it seem so much faster than the iMac, amazing what a difference that makes.

Speaking of which, if anyone has any good monitor recommendations for the 2015 macbook, please post them in my thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/monitor-options-in-the-uk.2028573/
Not only SSD. In Haswell, Intel introduced more advance graphic accelerate that direct show the picture for web browser from the actual jpg code without use CPU power, so nowadays machine with faster web browsing experiments and use less power.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I ditched the desktops years ago when I realized that having a good laptop meant that I almost completely stopped using the desktop setup. I have a 4K monitor to hook my Macbook up to if I want to work on a larger screen.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I barely use our iMac for anything except for keeping an iTunes library that the AppleTVs can stream from and the kids watch Netflix on it from time to time.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Similar story here. We had one computer in the house (2013 Retina Macbook 13", upgraded processor & storage). I came across a great deal on a Macbook & bought it, figuring that I'd keep the Pro & give the Macbook to my wife. After setting it up, I liked it better than the Pro. While the Pro's extra horsepower can come in handy sometimes, the number of times that I've felt like I needed more horsepower than the Macbook could provide have been very few. I always bought upgraded processors in all of my Macs, but now I realize that I don't really push them like I assumed I did. The Macbook has plenty of power for everything that I need to do, and the portability is unrivaled. I find myself carrying it many times where in the past I would have brought my iPad instead of a computer. This is the best Mac I've ever owned.

Reactions: capathy21

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
These days with an Atv and a laptop I couldn't imagine why anybody would want to chain themselves to an iMac or any desktop. The days of needing a desktop for heavy lifting are long since over. I have a 15" mbp and a 13" mbp that are less than two years old and quite capable.

However as I started to review my personal day to day usag I learned that in the past I probably over spent on computers. Years ago I had to do things that required some computing power such as converting videos to get them on an iPod or iPhone. These days apps like VLC make this irrelevant. I am no longer crunching large video libraries to get them to work in iTunes using things like visual hub.

The 512 storage is great and more than what I need so I rarely use a port or need to. I am actually using less processing power than I would have 5 years ago. So I like the form factor and it is my primary machine.

I really do not understand why anybody with a decent flatscreen tv would rather consume content on an iMac restricted to the confines of an uncomfortable desk. I think the iMac will be a product that is fondly remembered in ten years like your first VHS recorder.

It took a bit of getting used to the 12" screen but now when I go to the 15" mbp that seems like a monster. The rmb 12" in my opinion is the most capable tablet on the market right now. Give an iPad a case and keyboard and it is more cumbersome than an rmb that has a full OS.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
plenty of people (not me) prefer desktops; people in offices, graphics people, film, music people... people who have a stationery setup (for example, my friend's music studio, which depends on a number of 'static' elements, ie external drives, music keyboards, etc. no need for a macbook if the mac isn't going anywhere.

but personally, am with you. i love the mobility. still, whatever works...

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
plenty of people (not me) prefer desktops; people in offices, graphics people, film, music people... people who have a stationery setup (for example, my friend's music studio, which depends on a number of 'static' elements, ie external drives, music keyboards, etc. no need for a macbook if the mac isn't going anywhere.

but personally, am with you. i love the mobility. still, whatever works...

I understand that for professional people. Was more or less thinking of home users. The guy with the music you describe probably also has a laptop of some sort.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I understand that for professional people. Was more or less thinking of home users. The guy with the music you describe probably also has a laptop of some sort.

some of my friends prefer their imacs to a macbook (and almost everyone has an iphone, or an ipad). so for many, a desktop and an ipad, for example, is ideal...

Reactions: ryanwarsaw

brookter1

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2015
I have the same setup: iMac (with additional monitor) for upstairs, MB for downstairs. The iMac was top of the range, with SSD, and it's still feels slightly quicker for some uses than the MB, but it's not a huge difference.

Basically, if I'm upstairs I'll use the desktop, if I'm downstairs, it's the MacBook. The only time I choose one over the other is for working with Xcode or Tinderbox or similar when the extra screen space comes in handy.

The other factor is that if I'm downstairs I have to watch whatever drivel's on the TV.

The setup is great -- I'll be replacing the iMac with a new one when they're released.

jkaa

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2017
not sure when I last opened my 2014 13 rMBP, everything gets done on the amazing 12rMB now!!!

Reactions: capathy21

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I also ditched our desktop (an aging Windows PC) for an rMB, and am loving the freedom. I still have a desk setup for the rMB when I need many windows open and more screen real estate. I kept it simple: one 2k 24" monitor and a mouse if for some reason I really don't want to use the trackpad. But much of the time I use the MacBook downstairs on the couch or wherever. Yes the display is a bit small and my eyes are starting to age, but I can always boost the scaling to whatever I want and just use apps in full screen mode.

I'm very happy with this arrangement.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
My RMB is my situational/travel computer.

I've got a powerful, large laptop as our family computer in the kitchen, and my company gives me a powerful, large laptop as a desktop replacement at work. I've got an iPad Air for quick use in the bedroom. There was a time in my life that was all I needed. But the RMB changed all that.

When we have a meeting in a conference room, I grab the RMB. It's instant-on capability is fantastic. When I have a business trip, I grab the RMB. It's so light I can carry it in my backpack all day without even realizing its there. When I'm at home and need to answer an email that's too long for the iPhone, I grab the RMB. Instead of struggling to type on the 7" screen I can be typing on a full keyboard in under a minute.

All-in I must use my RMB about 90 days a year at most, and only for a few hours at a time if that. I've got an SUV and I've got a sedan, my RMB is my weekend convertible.

BJ

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
My RMB is my situational/travel computer.

I've got a powerful, large laptop as our family computer in the kitchen, and my company gives me a powerful, large laptop as a desktop replacement at work. I've got an iPad Air for quick use in the bedroom. There was a time in my life that was all I needed. But the RMB changed all that.

When we have a meeting in a conference room, I grab the RMB. It's instant-on capability is fantastic. When I have a business trip, I grab the RMB. It's so light I can carry it in my backpack all day without even realizing its there. When I'm at home and need to answer an email that's too long for the iPhone, I grab the RMB. Instead of struggling to type on the 7" screen I can be typing on a full keyboard in under a minute.

All-in I must use my RMB about 90 days a year at most, and only for a few hours at a time if that. I've got an SUV and I've got a sedan, my RMB is my weekend convertible.

BJ

Just curious - where does your iPad fit in this?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Just curious - where does your iPad fit in this?

Great question. The combination of an RMB plus an iPad is a travelers dream.

I travel a lot internationally, often 16 hour flights to Hong Kong. When I carry both a RMB and an iPad Air in my backpack I get less combined weight than a MacBook Pro and I get the added versatility of a tablet. I can store all my movies and TV shows on the iPad so it doesn't eat up notebook drive space and it's easier to watch movies on a plane on a tablet than on a laptop too. Best of all? 16 hours of battery life between the two devices.

The combo of the two is at its best once I'm on the ground. I leave the iPad back at the hotel and get the super lightweight RMB to carry in my backpack for business meetings all day, I often forget it's even there, have to keep checking that I didn't leave it behind. No need for the power brick either, just the notebook, it'll last me all day for Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, the typical business apps.

BJ

elite327

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
I had two different setups using 2012 mac mini's which were great machines. Later on sold those and went to a 15" MacBook pro for the more graphics intense work. A few months later picked up the base '15 rmb and it's by far been the go to favorite. I ended up selling my iPad too as I'd always grab the rmb or use the phone when on the go.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I guess the thing that has surprised me about my macbook is how competent is truly is. The it first came out, all of the stories were about how underpowered it was & how it couldn't handle high powered tasks, but was good for light tasks. I bought mine, assuming that I'd give it to my wife (as she mostly just surfs the web, checks, email, uses Office, etc) and I'd keep the MacBook Pro, but after setting it up & using it for a couple of days, I realized that it's more than capable of doing everything I use it for. I've always bought the best 11", 12" or 13" laptop that Apple offered, including the processor upgrades, but after using the 2015 MacBook (I did get the high end processor), I realize that modern processors, even the lower powered ones used in the MacBook line more than satisfy my needs. I've only run into a handful of times that it slowed down. That such a capable laptop can be squeezed into such a small package continues to amaze me. It' is by far my favorite laptop (the Powerbook 2400c was my previous favorite).

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I really feel like the rMB can stand on its own as an only computer, no problem at all. My particular use case relies on it as my sole professional machine. For my business, it is my one and only computer. iPad serves as the personal computing device, and iPhone as the bridge between them, while the iMac is the stable host, powerful video and photo editor, and keeper of the archives:
  • 27" 5K iMac is the home media library hub, connected to the big RAID setup that hosts all the family photo, video and music, and Time Machine and iDevice backups. It also is the machine used for home video creation using iMovie and FCP.
  • 12" rMB is the professional workhorse. Finance and Management consulting is my business, and I am on the go everyday - whether it be foot, car, train, plane. 4 Safari windows with 4-6 tabs open in each one, several large Excel, Powerpoint, Numbers, and Keynote files open at once, 8 email accounts in Mail App, several tabs of Finder, Messages, Notes, Adobe Creative Cloud, mostly Acrobat, and two Dropbox accounts syncing continuously with multiple active shared folders...the thing doesn't blink! Really impressed and gratified by the performance. Did the 1680x1050 modification to address the one and only weakness it had in my book (screen real estate), and it is by far the best laptop I've ever had anything to do with.
  • 7.9" iPad mini 4 is the personal computer. It does everything I could ask for to keep my personal and family life in order. Personal finances/banking, reminders, calendar of kids events, games and media consumption, doing our taxes, planning our vacations, surfing the web, typing this forum post, etc etc etc. - I would never go back to a traditional laptop for personal use again.
  • iPhone 7 is the jack of all trades - it is the crossover device between work and play, professional and personal...just wish I could have it in 4"!

robotman2009

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
Its my only mac...except in gaming, Ive never felt Im missing out on anything. Even in gaming though, it will run a lot of older stuff just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.