Do you use a PDA, and what kind?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by calyxman, Apr 29, 2006.

1. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of carrying around anything bigger than a clamshell sized cellphone, but I decided to dust off my old Handspring Visor Prizm and it's still usefull FWIW.

Anyone still using an old Palm? Pocket PC (I know that may seem foolish as most people here are mac users)? Newton?

Is a smart phone the way to go?

Or will Cupertino have something interesting up it's sleeve?

Thoughts welcome.

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

HP PocketPC. I use it for everything from Contacts, Email to Schedule Managing and Tasks, Videos to MP3's (who needs an iPod? ;) ).

I love it, it's very helpful for my work and keeps me on task. It also has built in Wi-Fi and BT (internal antenna), SD card slot, and IR port, so I can connect to damn near anything with it (even my Mac for everything except sync'ing because I'm too cheap for to purchase PocketMac 3.5). :D

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the battery life is over 5 hours with Wi-Fi and BT enabled and the screen as bright as it gets.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I dropped $3-400 about four years ago for a Sony PEG-N610C...I hardly ever use it. Never could get into the flow of using it...turned out to be about the biggest waste of money I've ever made. :(

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I've been thinking of getting a Palm Treo smartphone, but I can't justify spending the money when I already have a good phone and a PDA that I'm happy with.

If that weren't the case, I'd already have bought one. So, IMO, a smart phone is a smart idea. :D

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Toshiba E310 or something, Pocket PC. Love it. never use it though! it's just a nice thing to have.
    Thankfully it was a gift off my dad for going to college. I've had it about 5 years now and it's still very good. No BT or WiFi though, the only 2 reasons I'd upgrade to a new one.

6. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

i used to use one(let me rephrase that, i used to OWN one)
    i got a sony th55 for graduation a few years back. i thought it was awesome, until a couple of months ago when i realized i hadn't touched it in over a year...

fortunately, i was still able to get a good $200 off it on ebay.

biggest waste ever...

7. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I use an MDA Vario Smartphone/Pocket PC. If you wanna sync with your Mac you may have to wait a bit longer, though. Windows Mobile 5 Support is coming soon with Marc/Space. They've actually got an alpha out now, I think.

Steve

8. Queso macrumors G4

I still have a Palm m515, but only use it occasionally. Between my PB12 and my phone, the Palm has pretty much become redundant.

9. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Blackberry 8700c. Love it, as would you.:)

Attached Files:

• 65.jpg
      65.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
  10. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Same here...

11. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Palm Tungsten E used daily. Great for storing all kinds of info.

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Up until recently, I used my Palm IIIxe on a regular basis. Up until recently means about 2 or three years ago. But I did use it a lot. Now, I rely on iCal, my iPod and my phone (SE T637) being in sync. So, I guess I have a pretend PDA.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Tungsten E....which gets no play at all...collecting dust.

Bless

14. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

About three years ago I got a Palm Tungsten T3 for about $400-$500 and it ended up being the biggest waste of money. I used it for the first couple months, but then I was able to do everything that I use it for using my iPod and cellphone. It just didn't make sense for me to carry it around.

15. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Ive got an older Handspring also... I only use it to store dates and other notes.... I use the ibook for everything else...

16. mpw Guest

I've got a Palm T|X which is a neat little toy but I can't get it to sync with BOTH my Mac at home and my XPPC at work it'll sync with one after a little tweaking but then won't sync with the othe which makes it pretty useless.

I'd upgrade to a smartphone if there was one out there that I could rely on to work faultlessly.

I'll hold out for Apple or get a Filofax

17. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've got a Dell Axim x50v. It's great, it does everything I normally use a computer for. Heck, I use it more than any other computer because everywhere I go I've got either wifi or EVDO.

I'm getting a little tired of carrying around the PDA and cellphone, so I've been thinking of getting a smartphone. I just can't give up the VGA screen though!

18. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

Sony Clié PEG-NX60. Haven't used it in over a year; since I got a cell that I can sync with my PB, it became redundant. I'm holding on selling it though because I have one subject left at the Uni where it might come in handy (because of the spreadsheet). Then it's going either to "eBay" (actually, the knockoff we have here), or to a relative as a gift.

19. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Occasionally we'll kiss before getting in the car after a nice evening, or get a little frisky on a park bench somewhere, yes.

Oops. Wrong PDA. ;)

20. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

ASUS wireless thingee. GREAT as a bathroom companion... and sadly, that's all I use it for.

21. mannix87 macrumors 6502

22. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

an HP pocket PC, don't use it anymore though.

23. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

24. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I bought one of the old Handspring Visor PDAs back when they were fairly new, but I never used it much. As it turned out, my life was not nearly as complicated as I'd imagined. ;)

I did get a Palm TX this past Christmas, and find that I'm relying on it a lot more, especially to keep up with appointments.