All iPads Do you use a screen protector for you iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PhiladelphiaX, Dec 5, 2012.

?

Do you use a screen protector for your iPad?

1. Yes - I use a screen protector

29 vote(s)
    40.8%
  2. No - I do not use a screen protector

42 vote(s)
    59.2%
  1. macrumors member

Do you use a screen protector for your iPad? I have a folio case for mine, but no screen protector - just use the screen naked.

Do you use a screen protector? I'd also like to know, do scratches easily collect on the iPad's screen?

2. macrumors 6502

No, I think screen protectors are generally ugly, annoying and would degrade the appearance of my iPad mini.

I've got a Smart Cover, so hopefully that prevents any scratches on the screen. If not, oh well.

3. Guest

It just doesn't make sense for that big of a screen.

4. macrumors regular

Yes I do. It's clear and I managed to get it on bubble free. I don't like the anti-glare ones. They look frosty and crappy.

5. macrumors 68000

Nope I've never seen a need. My 2 and 6 year old share my original iPad and there isn't a single scratch on the screen.

6. macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

7. macrumors 65816

joshwithachance

Nope. I used my iPad 2 for over a year and there wasn't a single scratch on it when I sold it last month.

8. macrumors 68000

pooleman

I always use a screen protector on all my devices. iPhone 5, ipad nano, and my ipad mini has a screen protector.

9. macrumors 6502a

make sense for Iphone and Ipod touch because u tend to put them in your pocket with keys and stuff.

Ipad, u just need a good quality case and leave it standby with cover on it. Should be okay, i dont think fingernails can damage your screen.

10. macrumors 6502

Bought one of the newer zagg hd body/screen kits for an iPad 2 - you guys are making double guess myself as to whether or not I even want to use it now...

I've had the older zaggs on my phones and was always happy with those.

11. macrumors member

I use a best skins ever on my mini.

It's not for scratch protection though, I find it does a great job at hiding finger prints ;)

12. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Nope. I do use a smart cover on my iPad 2; that screen is as perfect as the day I got it. My iPod touch 5G screen goes naked as well. While it's not that old, it hasn't suffered at all from being toted around in my pocket.

13. macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Nope. I buy a product because I like the way it is. What's the point in protecting it behind layers of plastic so that I never truly get to enjoy it the way it was designed just for it to become obsolete/replaced in a couple of years anyway.

14. macrumors 6502a

zone23

I didn't think I needed one until I was laying on the couch with it and the dog decided to jump up on it. It got a lite scratch and that was enough for me.

15. macrumors 6502

I tend to keep my gadgets till they die After having to dispose of a non operating PDA with a perfect screen a few years ago, I thought what a shame it was I hadn't enjoyed the screen and had put up with a protector the whole time I owned the PDA. Since then I do not cover any screens that any of my gadgets happen to have. A microfiber cloth is the only thing I use on the screen once in a while to clean off any finger oils.

16. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

The glass they use for iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches are very resistant to abrasions and scratches. As people have said earlier, I think that adding a screen protector would degrade the entire touch-screen experience. I would, however, get a case for it: preferably one with a back screen cover and a front screen cover. I, personally, use the Book Jacket Revolution folio case from the maker "Incase" -- it's great:

http://goincase.com/products/detail/book-jacket-revolution-cl60131

They retail a lot cheaper on Amazon, though.

17. macrumors regular

I had a PowerSupport Anti-Glare HD screen protector on my iPad 2 and now I have one on my iPad 4. I'm not too worried about scratching my screen, but I HATE the way the screen collects fingerprints and smudges. The anti-glare film stays much cleaner.

18. macrumors 6502

imlovinit

I didn't care for one nor did I care for a case on the ipad but had it on all my other idevices..learned the hard way and now I have a case and a screen protector. Figures :rolleyes: . The screen protector really makes no difference in feel or appearance but I guess it depends on what you use.

19. macrumors 6502a

bembol

Yes but only on the Mini.

My rule of thumb, if I can put it in my pocket Screen Protector is applied.

I wear track pants in the gym, bigger pockets. LOL

20. macrumors 68000

Medic311

i don't use a screen protector on my iPad or iPhone. both screens are in perfect shape

just goes to show how robust the corning glass is

21. macrumors regular

token787

Believe it or not, i still have the plastic covering on it that it was packaged in and a case with a smart cover. Works well

22. macrumors 65816

adam044

No, on my iphone I do because it is out in the world everyday. In and out of my pocket and constantly being put down places. My iPad has a smart cover on it so when its not in use there is no worries about the screen getting scratched. Unless you have some exotic fingernails I'm not sure how you would scratch your iPad screen.

23. macrumors member

trvsglr

I have one front and back on my mini, but oddly I do not have one on my iPhone. I guess this should be the other way around since I carry my phone everywhere and my iPad has only left the house once!

24. macrumors 6502a

I never use them. The entire point of a screen protector is to keep the screen scratch free to enhance it's clarity for as long as possible right?

So why put something on it that makes it less clear, more reflective and more prone to fingerprints and smudges? Such a paradox.

I've never had anything more than very, very minor scratches show up on any of my idevices. If I were obsessed with preserving perfect resale value then I might be more concerned with it, but I buy these things for my own enjoyment, not the satisfaction of others.

25. macrumors 6502a

I don't find higher quality screen protectors reduce clarity or touch sensitivity, so that is just not the case. I am sure there are cheesy ones that do this cause you get what you pay for. I think for most screen protectors is more about peace of mind. It is a personal choice. I use them and when the time comes that I want to sell my device I can always say my screen is scratch free and this usually allows me to net more return. These displays do get little tiny scratches that become evident over time.