Do you use color labels?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by King Cobra, Aug 22, 2004.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

In OS 9, we were given the option to highlight the color of our folder/file icons with 7 colors. We could modify the colors to, say, graphite or lime, and our files in Finder windows would have a distinct highlight color on them. The option was brought to OS X in Panther, except we can only alter the 7 colors with hacking, and only the text below an icon is highlighted that color.

With that being said, do you (still) use file/folder color labels, and why/why not? Also, did you used to use them in OS 9?

Personally, I used them a little in OS 9, but I don't bother with them in OS X, probably because the label doesn't stand out as much as it did in OS 9.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

It always sounds like a nice idea, but I never end up using labels. Ever.

Lee Tom

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ditto. Used them on earlier OS's, a bit. Never now. No particular reason.

4. aus_dave macrumors regular

I use them a bit but only really one colour. I have a client directory with a long list of clients in it and use a red label to mark the currently 'active' clients with projects that are in progress.

5. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

I never really used them before, but I do use them a bit now. Although I can't say I have any real "system" to it (generally, Red equals "Important file" and that's about it).
    I like Panther's labels more than the classic ones, though.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I use them sometimes--mostly to categorize different things or to identify them so that they stand out in column view. They're useful.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I used to use them in the System 7 & 8 days, they were a nice way to have the equivalent of more than one folder in one window. Now that we have File Viewer, er, Finder with the column view, I have the parallel folders I really wanted and can jump between them easily.

8. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

In OS 8.6 and so on, it used to change the color of the folder which made it stand out, so I used it a lot. Now, not as much.

9. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I actually never liked how the colored folders in Mac OS 9. It didn't stand out to me. But now, I rarely use colored folders, but I do for school work.
    –Chase

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

I used to in previous OS versions, mainly because I thought they looked cool. Since they came back in OS X, I haven't even looked at them - I'd rather just subdivide things into folders and manage that way - I can't remember what 7 different color codes mean.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't use the ones in Finder. I never used them in older versions of MacOS either.... I use the ones in Mail a little, although there's no training mode for the rules and I'm too lazy to make them work perfectly. But I try to have it work so that messages about my work get red-lighted and messages from my best friends get green-lighted, so they stand out in my inbox....

12. kanker macrumors 6502

I do, since my wife and daughter only use the computer for schoolwork I color code their folders so it's easier for them to find them (and not inadvertently screw up the machine).

13. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Sometimes.

The main things I use them for are for picture files scattered about my pictures folder and for documents. I'm looking forward to Tiger so I can use automater to color-label my recent documents and keep a rotation going for ease of recognition (although the new search feature will probably blow that out of the water huh?)

I also use them to pick out certain applications I use more than others in the Apps folder, but I certainly don't use the coloring system to its full potential.

On a related topic, it would be pretty nifty if you could use coloring in iTunes & iPhoto to help sort through certain albums quicker than just smart photo albums. I have so many iTunes playlists it's getting out of hand.

14. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I never used them in OS 9, and I don't use them in OS X.

I finded them a little distracting.

15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

How are they distracting if you don't use them?

Anyways. I use them to for visual queues to remind me to do something, like making backups of my webserver - my backup folder is labeled red as a reminder.

16. osprey76 macrumors 6502

My OS 9 Games folder was red for easy acquisition. That's about all the labelling I've ever done. I suppose if I used my Mac for a living it would be different.

17. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I tryed it a couple of times, but I don't like it. So I currently don't use them.

I've also seen them when an application installs red or blue folders, I make it a habit of getting rid of the color.

18. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

They came in handy when I downloaded all of the Family Guy episodes from limewire. I color the ones I'd seen. Nothing besides that, but it's a nice feature.

19. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I use them for about 3 of the folders that I use the most but I only really find them useful in the list or columns view.

20. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Red=Super important, beyond that they are useless for me.

21. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

red = important

orange = to do

green = done

vSpacken

22. taylaner macrumors member

i never use them ....but it could be cool i will try it :)

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I do the same thing with rating stars for recorded radio shows in my iTunes. Color (like JDog said) would be nice for that. That's a good idea for the vids. I should do something like that for journal articles I've downloaded and haven't read. *warms slowly to color labels*

24. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I find the new labels a little too gawdy. It'd be nice if you were able to control the opacity and remove the 3-D look that they have. Then I might consider using them more.

25. spookykids macrumors member

spookykids

Quite alot actually.

Its much easier to find a file/folder inbetween tens of other files when its highlighted.