Do you use filevault?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by atari1356, Jan 19, 2006.

?

Do you use filevault

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    92.5%
  1. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I was looking into some ways of making my PowerBook more secure... I generally don't let it out of my site, but there are some things I wouldn't want people to have access to if it were stolen.

Filevault seems like a good idea since it encrypts data. Do you use it? How does it affect backups to an external hard drive? are the backed up files encrypted too?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Have a password for your account to keep people out. I dont use FV at all.

Bless

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It does not take much to reset user passwords. Disk images are 1 way to just encrypt some of your stuff.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't have a use for filevault myself. but i suppose if i was using a 'book with company info and a company 'book then i would consider it. for my uses though i have no reason.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It's a way, i didnt say it was the best way. FV is cool but remember those passwords. I dont use it

Bless

6. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Passwords are only useful if the person doesn't have physical access to your machine. Otherwise they're easy to get around, for example, by booting OS X into single user mode.

That said, I don't use filevault because I've had bad experiences in the past with encrypted file systems getting corrupted and me losing everything.

7. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Ive herd from many sources that sometimes filevault will corrupt you data, which is bad. But I guess not as bad as someone else having it.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

FV intimidates me a little. If I ever forgot the pword....:eek:

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I used to have FileVault on, but when I found out it used more than 3 GB just to run I turned it off very fast... ;)

I haven't got anything that private on my iBook, anyway... ie. nothing I cannot hide in an encrypted sparse image or two, made with Disk Utility ;)

10. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

It also sucks that you cant make FV only backup certain files instead of everything in my home folder. Do i really need my music encrypted?

One More Thing....
    My 500th Post!!

11. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

You have a point about music. I suppose if you make your own music to sell then you might not want someone to get it pre-release. Same for movie editors etc. The only thing i would encypt would be iChats. Keeping the record has come in handy enough to keep it, but could mean death if someone got in. I don't use FV tho.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I mentioned a way to get around this in another thread....I will see if i can find it. Basically you make a alias to the shared folder and move your music there.:D

13. atari1356 thread starter macrumors 68000

atari1356

Using a disk image is a good idea... that's at least a partial solution for me without having to turn on filevault.

14. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I dont use it, i f'ed up my windows PC trying to use encryption softwear:rolleyes: :eek:. But I do wan't to know how to password protect files, is there a way to do that?

15. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I've never tried it. The problems people were having with it when it first came out scared me off it forever.

16. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

nope

No reason for me to use it. As it's set up, where you can't encrypt individual files, folders and volumes, it is really not useful to me. Plus, the penalty of possible problems (especially with backup), space occupied, etc. it just ain't worth it to me. And I do not anticipate using it, unless they resolve the issues I mentioned.

17. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

18. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

No - I don't really have anything that I need to keep hidden on my computer. If I did, I would probably use a password protected disk image instead.

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

If you could encrypt certain folders I would most definitely use it but I need neither my photos nor my music encrypted. But I am thinking of using PGP (tip was courtesy of grapes :D )

20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's a little on the pricey side. If my work didn't pay for it, I'd use the free version called GPG instead. It's released under the GNU license. GPG is very good on linux, but slightly less refined on Macs.

21. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

22. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I don't think anyone would care enough about my files to worry about it...