Do you use "Folder Actions?" (They're rad!)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dotnina, Dec 2, 2004.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

The other day I noticed the option to "Attach a Folder Action" when I'm browsing through a folder. I didn't know what it was, but I thought I'd give it a whirl. Turns out, folder actions perform tasks for you according to rules you specify. I have my desktop set to convert all TIFF images to JPEGs automatically (keeping the original TIFF, of course). I'm finding this infinetely useful when I use "Grab" to take a quick screenshot.

So, I was wondering -- do you guys also use "Folder Actions?" Are there good online repositories where you can find some of these scripts? Which scripts do you use, and which do you find most useful? :)

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I have a folder where attachments are automatically saved. Then, an AppleScript tells me how many have been added...

The trick is to clean out the folder every once in a while. ;)

3. brap macrumors 68000

Folder actions are another of those things I know would be really great, if I had the patience/time/etc to set it up. It'd make sifting through my Firefox incoming folder a lot less of a headache...

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Wow, I had no idea this existed. Recap with me how it's done? I want to try it.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Right/control click on a folder and select "Enable Folder Actions". [Edit: this enables actions globally, not just for one folder].
    Right/control click again and either attach a folder action [edit: this attaches an action to the selected folder] or go to "Configure Folder Actions...." to see all of your actions.

In essence, Folder Actions will run an AppleScript script of your choice when something happens in the folder (file added, deleted, etc.). You could have it resize images, mail everything you drop there to someone, etc. - anything AppleScript can do or enable, you can do with a folder action.

Edit: /Library/Scripts/"Folder Action Scripts" has some to play with.