Do you use iChat AV?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hotwire132002, Mar 22, 2005.

?

Do you use iChat AV?

1. I use iChat AV for text messaging only

14 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. I use iChat AV for audio messaging

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. I use iChat AV for video messaging

31 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. I would use iChat AV for text or video messaging, if I knew anyone else who used it!

44 vote(s)
    41.5%
  5. I don't use iChat AV and am not planning on using it

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I've just been wondering, how many people here use the video/audio chat function of iChat AV?

I would, but I don't know anyone (other than me) who has a webcam that's compatable with it. :(

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i use it to audio chat with my girlfriend in chicago, and i webchat with my 'rents back home on occassion as well

i use adium for regular text chats though

3. bentley macrumors 6502

nope

.mac is unheard of and AIM is rarely used amongst my friends.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Post back with what options you want, and I'll add a voting section for you :)

5. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I use iChat but just for AIM. I don't have an iSight yet. Waiting for a price drop or update. Anyone got one that they want to sell??

6. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

"I use iChat AV for text messaging only"

"I use iChat AV for Audio Messaging"

"I use iChat AV for Video Messaging"

"I would use iChat AV for Text/Video Messaging, if I knew anyone else who used it!"

The voting section would be nice! Thanks!

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

8. Bear macrumors G3

How about the option: "I don't use iChat AV and am not planning on using it."

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Duh! Can't believe I didn't see that one missing myself!

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

All but one of my contacts are on MSN so iChat isn't an option for me personally. Like (I suspect) most people around here, Adium is my client of choice.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iChat looks great, but now I've just gotta find some friends who don't use MSN. :(

Thanks for the poll BTW Nermal. :)

12. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Lets see, my dad, mom, sister, aunt, girlfriend and myself all have iSights. So yes, I definitely us iChat. We can't wait until Tiger comes out and we can try the multiple video streams.

13. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Thanks for the poll!

14. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Same here...

15. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I would use it if I had an iSight, but I don't nor does anybody I know. I used to use it for text messaging until I tried Adium.

16. skp574 macrumors 6502

I use iChat to talk to the in-laws. They are on AIM and I'm using .mac. We had trouble trying to get video chatting to work. But some how it managed it. Not sure how exactly. Just shut off all the firewalls and it eventually connected (video that is). Audio and text chatting worked fine though.

I have two iSights, one for my iMac at home and one for my PB on the road.

17. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

iChat for text, Skype for audio, Yahoo! for video.

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I only used the video chat once the other 2 times it didn't work....but for regualr IMing i use Adium :cool:

19. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Have no real reason to use iChat at present since no one I know uses AIM and I don't have or want an iSight yet.

If iChat supports other protocols I might look into investing into iSight. :)

20. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I would love to use iChat, but unfortunately most pc users are convinced they must use MSN :( I've tried converting them to AIM, but they say I should change to MSN instead.

I have an iSight, which I bought for short movies to iMovieHD, but would love to use it for chatting. I know I can do this with Yahoo, but again am faced by the dilemma of MSN users.

The new iChat in Tiger looks to be great, but Apple's naivity that we will be able to use it saddens me. Unfortunately Apple just doesn't have the user market share to use it.

21. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I use Adium but pop open iChat from time to time because my parents bought one for me to video chat with them. They're the only ones I chat with though.

22. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Everyone I know uses AIM, but of the 96 people or so on my buddylist, 2 are mac users and they're brother and sister. The brother is the primary friend and the sister is there cuz she wants to work in my future boba cafe. So really, I know one other person who would use ichat for ez voice and video. Makes the feature pretty useless for me.

23. link92 macrumors 6502

I use it for audio/video, but I normally use Proteus.

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    iChat AV using iSight is great where you have friends and family that you don't see often. I'd probably use it if Mum ever got an iSight (hmm, add that to the birthday idea list!) rather than phoning her.

But I'm less likely to use it (or set it up on the PB each day) for casual use with friends. Generally when friends and I IM each other, we're holding other conversations and doing other things at the same time. When we tried AV, we felt conscious if we wrote an email or checked a website in between that we were ignoring other people.

Add to that the reduced chance to have a 'pyjama night' or be a slob when the iSight is plugged in and I can see why it's never really taken off.

25. emw macrumors G4

emw

I use iChat video conferencing on occasion with my brothers, who live out of state, but more often with my wife and kids while I travel. In that sense, it's a fantastic tool, especially since my kids are still young and enjoy seeing me on the computer.

I'd use it with my parents if they ever get broadband...