Do you use Skype

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jason_Bryan, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

I have just installed Skype because several of my PC using friends are using it. I am impressed with the way it works across platforms. After problems with iChat and AIM it is a god send. Does anyone else here use Skype?

2. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I'm using it right now to talk with a friend of mine, sounds much better than iChat also.

3. mpw Guest

I've used it a couple of times and like it, I'd use it more if I could convince my family or friends in New Zealand, Africa and the US to sign-up, it's not worth it for my local friends etc.

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I have used it, but my Mom's mini and my PM don't have built in microphones like my PB does and we had a headset for her old PM G3.

It worked great, sounded just like the phone, and it was free.

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Sadly not any longer. I used to use it a lot in the past, and now I have found a better solution. :)

SKYPE had to many problems, it used to work about 1% of the time. :(

6. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

I use it. I call my dad when he is out of the country travelling (roaming charges ;)) and I even call my mom in the other room to ask what's for dinner. :D I'm very lazy. They gave away 20 free minutes at one point, or something, I still have a few left. It's awesome, shows up on caller ID as Call From... 000-012-3456

7. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

i like voice on skype
    i have found ichat to be more user friendly but skype is a really good choice

good for it :)

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, and I'm satisfied with the way Skype works. For the most part, it works very well, despite network congestion, etc.

It would be nice to have it handling video conversations, but that's coming with version 2.0. Could this be the application to finish off the IM client mess? I think they have a good chance, especially since they have no apparent affiliations that the major IM clients have.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I thought it cost $$$

10. mpw Guest

Free Skype to Skype but you pay to call a landline or mobile and pay again to have a number landlines or mobiles can call you. It's still normally cheaper than a standard phone call charge however.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And you have all used Skype, and not SkypeOut, right?

I don't know a single person who has ever used regular old Skype, so I only have experience with SkypeOut, and I don't know if it's my slow crappy internet connection (slow upload speeds, at least), but sometimes it's flatout unusable, while sometimes it works well enough to use. Too bad that my long distance calling card gives me similar rates from Oz to Canada (around $0.014 USD per minute), so there's really no need to use it.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've never used anything to connect the computer to regular phones but the pricing and convenience seems right.

Perhaps, your computer is busy and obviously, your telephone has a single function. Were using web surfing, downloading, etc. while using SkypeOut?

13. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

My dad got SkypeOut. Even Asia-East Coast sounded perfect, calling our house phone. Sounds great. Must be the internet connection you're on.

14. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

No never have, will do one day and I intend to look into Google Talk as well.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Interesting...MacRumors now has a Skype field.

16. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

SkypeOut

I use SkypeOut, and it works fine for me. I work as a freelance writer, so it's great for business -- especially long conference calls.

My only gripe -- I use a USB headset that covers both my ears, and I can't hear my voice correctly. It's kind of weird.

Otherwise, love the cost. $30/year to have a home phone and practically free long distance.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, it's been there for about 15 minutes now :)

18. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Both skype and googletalk are great. Wonder how ebay buying skype affects it though??

19. mpw Guest

Wrong, I've only used SkypeOut never plain Skype. The only issue I had was using the built in mic and speakers of my iMac meant that the person I was calling could hear an echo of their own voice, cured with a BT headset for the mic.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've never heard an eBay advertisement while using Skype, so not much so far, but if reality hits hard, there will be phishing scams, just like with eBay and PayPal, but what will they get? :D

21. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I use regular Skype (well my wife does) to talk to her family. She sometimes gets an echo using the iMac built in mic but using a cheap pair of headphones cancels that out.

Hopefully they will bring video to the Mac version soon.

but what camera to use?

22. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Hopefully Apple will add support for GoogleTalk and Skype accounts to iChat.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

used it twice on friends computer (don't ask .. we needed to contact an instructor for a lecture)

connection losses, jittering (sp?), crashes, ultra slow file transfers
    we ended up recording a mp3 of what we had to say and mailing it

it has to improve a lot

24. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

any BT headset would work?

25. mpw Guest

I don't see why not I'm using a cheap Sony model that I had for my mobile while driving.