Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
I have just installed Skype because several of my PC using friends are using it. I am impressed with the way it works across platforms. After problems with iChat and AIM it is a god send. Does anyone else here use Skype?

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I've used it a couple of times and like it, I'd use it more if I could convince my family or friends in New Zealand, Africa and the US to sign-up, it's not worth it for my local friends etc.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I have used it, but my Mom's mini and my PM don't have built in microphones like my PB does and we had a headset for her old PM G3.

It worked great, sounded just like the phone, and it was free.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
I use it. I call my dad when he is out of the country travelling (roaming charges ;)) and I even call my mom in the other room to ask what's for dinner. :D I'm very lazy. They gave away 20 free minutes at one point, or something, I still have a few left. It's awesome, shows up on caller ID as Call From... 000-012-3456

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
i like voice on skype
i have found ichat to be more user friendly but skype is a really good choice

good for it :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yes, and I'm satisfied with the way Skype works. For the most part, it works very well, despite network congestion, etc.

It would be nice to have it handling video conversations, but that's coming with version 2.0. Could this be the application to finish off the IM client mess? I think they have a good chance, especially since they have no apparent affiliations that the major IM clients have.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
zap2 said:
I thought it cost $$$
Free Skype to Skype but you pay to call a landline or mobile and pay again to have a number landlines or mobiles can call you. It's still normally cheaper than a standard phone call charge however.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
And you have all used Skype, and not SkypeOut, right?

I don't know a single person who has ever used regular old Skype, so I only have experience with SkypeOut, and I don't know if it's my slow crappy internet connection (slow upload speeds, at least), but sometimes it's flatout unusable, while sometimes it works well enough to use. Too bad that my long distance calling card gives me similar rates from Oz to Canada (around $0.014 USD per minute), so there's really no need to use it.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Abstract said:
And you have all used Skype, and not SkypeOut, right?

I don't know a single person who has ever used regular old Skype, so I only have experience with SkypeOut, and I don't know if it's my slow crappy internet connection (slow upload speeds, at least), but sometimes it's flatout unusable, while sometimes it works well enough to use. Too bad that my long distance calling card gives me similar rates from Oz to Canada (around $0.014 USD per minute), so there's really no need to use it.

I've never used anything to connect the computer to regular phones but the pricing and convenience seems right.

Perhaps, your computer is busy and obviously, your telephone has a single function. Were using web surfing, downloading, etc. while using SkypeOut?

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
No never have, will do one day and I intend to look into Google Talk as well.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
SkypeOut

I use SkypeOut, and it works fine for me. I work as a freelance writer, so it's great for business -- especially long conference calls.

My only gripe -- I use a USB headset that covers both my ears, and I can't hear my voice correctly. It's kind of weird.

Otherwise, love the cost. $30/year to have a home phone and practically free long distance.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2005
UK
Both skype and googletalk are great. Wonder how ebay buying skype affects it though??

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Abstract said:
And you have all used Skype, and not SkypeOut, right?...
Wrong, I've only used SkypeOut never plain Skype. The only issue I had was using the built in mic and speakers of my iMac meant that the person I was calling could hear an echo of their own voice, cured with a BT headset for the mic.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
rossoUK said:
Both skype and googletalk are great. Wonder how ebay buying skype affects it though??

I've never heard an eBay advertisement while using Skype, so not much so far, but if reality hits hard, there will be phishing scams, just like with eBay and PayPal, but what will they get? :D

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I use regular Skype (well my wife does) to talk to her family. She sometimes gets an echo using the iMac built in mic but using a cheap pair of headphones cancels that out.

Hopefully they will bring video to the Mac version soon.

but what camera to use?

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Chappers said:
Hopefully they will bring video to the Mac version soon.

Hopefully Apple will add support for GoogleTalk and Skype accounts to iChat.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
used it twice on friends computer (don't ask .. we needed to contact an instructor for a lecture)

connection losses, jittering (sp?), crashes, ultra slow file transfers
we ended up recording a mp3 of what we had to say and mailing it

it has to improve a lot

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
mpw said:
Wrong, I've only used SkypeOut never plain Skype. The only issue I had was using the built in mic and speakers of my iMac meant that the person I was calling could hear an echo of their own voice, cured with a BT headset for the mic.

any BT headset would work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.