Do you use twitter?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Meecrob, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Meecrob macrumors member

Meecrob

What's up with twitter? Seems like a lot of people are creaming their jeans over it, but I can't see much point to obsessive status-updating... maybe im missing a crucial feature but I just cant see why anyone needs it.

if you dont know what it is:
    twitter.com

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'm glad you asked this - I've been wondering the same thing myself...seems like IM away messages without the IM. Interesting, but I'm not so sure it's a "killer webapp" for me.

3. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Its not killer by any means, but its fun to use. My sister and several freinds use it. Its all about getting your "network" on it.

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I've just started playing with it (befriend me! Please!) but the novelty is wearing off quickly. For the same reasons that I never got into IM'ing, I don't think I'm going to get into Twitter either. I wonder if it's a generational thing?

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I don't think it's a generation thing, because I'm in the generation that would like it and I think it's completely idiotic.

Who cares what people are doing every minute of the day? Who would even go there to browse what other people have/did do? That just seems really weird, and almost sick to have "update twitter with what I'm going to do next" pop up in your mind before you do something.

I see that people can text in (via cell) an entry. It looks like people are about to start writing a report, so they whip their phone out, text "Writing a report" to twitter, and then do it. Repeat for each activity done during the day...something's wrong with that.

6. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

I've never seen this, yet it seems rather odd. Although I am also in the generation that 'should' like this sort of thing, I truly don't find it all that compelling.

I completely agree. To reinforce your point, some guy just said he was 'being bitten by a playful kitten.'

That scares me...

7. osirisX macrumors regular

I really couldn't be bothered to continue updating it.

8. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

It's really simple and stupid yet I can't help but update mine....

But I'm a sucker for social networking sites (virb, twitter, facebook....)

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yeah...same story here...interesting concept, but it seems the people that are doing interesting things are too busy to update it.

10. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

fistful is reading a thread on MacRumors about twitter. less than 2 minutes ago from MacRumors
    fistful is going to the toilet. less than 90 seconds ago from MacRumors
    fistful is back from the toilet less than 1 minute ago from MacRumors
    fistful is reading about twitter on MacRumors again. less than 20 seconds ago from MacRumors

Yeah, I don't get it... :confused:

11. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

12. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I have no idea how I could update that site every time I do something different. It seems like a complete waste of time.

13. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

and just like that my interest for it died....lasted a good two days

14. tiante macrumors newbie

If anyone is interested to talk about Twitter, I have found some twitter forums, looks like they are starting a new community there around twitter.

http://www.twitterforum.com

15. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I totally & completely agree with you.

A friend made me make an account, I logged in once and said, "wow, this is lame" and logged out. Haven't been in since... :)

16. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

persoanlly I use these sites, to look at my freisn's pictures (private profiles like myspace) I also use them to, u kno just connect. Personally I ahte mysapce it is overly commercialized, I like facebook more, simple, clean, elegant

It gets to the point, No waiting for myspace to load some obnoxious layout that u cant read because some idiot thought it would be cool to make the background and text the same color.