Do you use your 360 as a DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bubbasteve, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I asked this question right when the 360 was launched and I'll ask it again just to make sure...

If I play DVDs on my 360 will it harm the drive? I ask this because when I first bought a PS2 I used it as a DVD Player and for a gaming system, but I believe using the DVD capabilities ruined the drive.

Do any of you use your Xbox 360 as a DVD player regularly?

2. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

It was shoody build quality and poor parts rather than playing back DVD's.

Sony make some of the best audio/visual kit on sale, but the Playstation brand has a very very poor reputation.

The xBox on the other hand has generally very good relaibility - with Nintendo kit being almost Nuke Proof.

So, don't worry, be happy!

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I don't use anything BUT my XBox 360 for DVDs. I wouldn't worry, it uses a high quality DVD Drive, you'll not have any issues.

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I don't have another DVD player hooked up to my tv. And since I have the HD cables and optical audio to a 5.1 surround sound attached as well, I really only makes sense to use it at my DVD player.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd place Sony somewhere in the middle. There are so many worse and so many better built, higher quality audio equipment out there. Bang & Olufsen, Bose, Teleton, Cambridge, (old) Wharfedale are all a much higher build and audio quality. Albeit at a higher price tag, though sometimes just marginally.

Yea, you can relax on the 360 front. It's built to a high standard so I wouldn't worry about drive problems, unless it's already acting up now (continuous streaming like that from an Audio CD or DVD) will just shorten it's trip to the graveyard. just like if your hard drive starts clicking and acting up it's time for a back up.

6. Bubbasteve thread starter macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question!

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

nope, it's not multi region and it dident work with my divx disks so i recently picked up a 40 quid progressive DTS/5.1 multi region divx/xvid affair and it's great.

8. crachoar macrumors 6502a

People still buy DVDs?

F that. XViD players rock.

It's so much better having an entire season of a show on one DVD, in HD-quality with 5.1 surround. No ads. No switching discs. No huge box.

'It's heaven. Simply heaven.' (if you get this joke, you get a cookie)

I wish companies would stop fighting over these worthless standards (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD), and start paying more attention to encoding and pricing.

I think I speak for everyone when I say it would kick more ass to have XViD as a standard, with retail players (TV and portable) and entire seasons of shows on one disc (for $20 a pop).

9. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Hell No. I just use one of my 2 computers or my 2 dvd players.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

*agrees* DivX and co are the way to go. My pop has all his DVD's downstairs, I have them compressed onto 1 DVD of Xvid. very pleasant. travellers best friend.

11. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Currently, I use my PS2 for DVD viewing. That'll change to my 360 once I get the remote (which I believe is requird for DVD playback...I know it was on the original Xbox)

12. Bubbasteve thread starter macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I have never heard of XViD players but I would love to learn more about it...I'll google search but could you give me a link or tell me more about it? :eek:

13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

if my tv didnt have a DVD player in it already, the 360 would be the one I use. It was built as a multimedia center.

Do tell us more about this XViD please

14. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

it's just DivX spelled backwards. :p

I remember xvid back in the day and how it would lock up our school PCs.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Every XBox 360 game ships on a DVD disk. There is no way playing movies would hurt it any worse than a game would.

16. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

360 unlike the original xbox can play DVD's outta the box......back to the original question, I use my 360 for DVD playback and its great as was the original xbox for DVD playback, so don't sweat it DVD's will play just fine and shouldn't cause any problem to your machine......

ShaDOW

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

On the remote thing, I know the controller can be used (I use my 360 as the upstairs DVD player - it usually resides in the spare room), iirc, there are some functions that only the Remote can use

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No way! Have you heard how much noise that succer makes? I use my Mac Mini that I use for TV receptions/iTunes as it's silent. Not to meantion the power usage. The 360 will be sucking down over 100W just to watch a DVD!

19. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Like Robbie says - its just too damn noisy for me. The 360 is in a small room and the noise (unless you've cranked up the volume) is always heard. I've got a Sammy HDMI/DivX dvd player for my dvd watching.

I was hoping the 360 would fully replace the need for a separate DVD player, but the noise (and IMHO the picture quality) is not up to a stand alone DVD player standard. If it ever gets revised with a silent DVD drive, I'll seriously consider an upgrade.

Then again.... if the HD-DVD drive is silent, that may warrant a look-see....

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I do, but I just picked up a standalone that will play DivX.

21. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Awesome. I was unawares and just made an assumption without trying. Thanks

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! Exactly the same.

Xbox 360 dvd playback via VGA is now upscaled and produces an excellent picture... BUT no multi-region or DivX is a pain.

So I just went out too and bought a Pioneer DV-490V with DivX, HDMI Video Upscaling & Multi-Region out of the box.

23. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

My 360 is only noisy while playing games... when I'm playing a DVD movie I think the fans either spin down, the DVD spins at a lower speed, or both.

24. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Yes

I pre-oredered the 360 and recieved one out of the first shipment. I have never had a problem with it. I watch movies as much as I play games on it. I haven't had a single problem with it.

25. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's quieter when playing movies. I read somewhere that when playing DVD's the 360 doesn't use all the CPU's so it produces less heat and therefore doesn't require as much fan use.