Do YOU Use Your Applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AvSRoCkCO1067, Aug 29, 2006.

?

Did you use the Applecare Protection Plan after purchasing it?

1. Yup - I used the Applecare Plan more than once.

38.3%
  2. Nope - I never used the Applecare Plan I purchased.

20.0%
  3. I don't purchase the Applecare Plan on my products.

41.7%
  1. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Another member had the idea of posting a poll asking this question:

Out of those of you who purchased the extended Applecare plan for an Apple product, how many actually used it?

After answering the poll, let us know which product you purhcased Applecare on and what you did/didn't get repaired.

2. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

3. Lau Guest

I'd rather take the risk, myself, and have never purchased it. I sold my broken PowerBook to a seller last year who was able to fix it, and made no more of a loss than if I'd bought Applecare, and now have a new iBook that I bought with the proceeds. I have a massive problem with manufacturers selling an extended warranty on a product that seems to cheerfully fail after 2 years or so. The MacBooks are a good step in the right direction with replaceable hard drives though.

Not to mention the service in the UK is dreadful (on evidence on 3 occasions), and so I just point blank bloody refuse to pay extra for their crappy service. However, now I no longer get an educational discount I will probably buy my Macs in the future from John Lewis for the same price as from the Apple store, who also give a standard 2 year warranty on them.

4. AvSRoCkCO1067 thread starter macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

What, specifically, did you purchase it on - and how did you end up using it??? :confused:

5. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

My experience with warranties is that you're completely at the mercy of the manufacturer or vendor who can honor a repair or not. So, why spend the money?

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Pft, I paid out the nose for it, and I'll use it, dangit! :D

got a HD replaced, the top plate of the case replaced, and probably more in the coming years.

7. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have only purchase done Mac in my life, and I did not buy AppleCare with it. It is coming up to 3 years old now, and I have not had one issue with it, so it looks as though I made the right decision. :eek: ;) Macs are extremely reliable and well-built, which I why I wasn't too bothered to go without the AppleCare, but that being said I realize that things do go wrong from time to time. I still think though that if something major is wrong with your system it will become evident in the first couple weeks of use, in which case you're still under Apple's 90-day warranty even without AppleCare.

I could see if you made a significant investment in something like a Mac Pro though, that it would be more important to get it. For me and my iMac though, I never really thought too hard about it. :cool:

9. mdickson macrumors regular

10. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

It's well worth it, I believe. On some computer's I've had and seen go through the computer, it was necessary. On others, it wasn't. However, if you don't use it at all for the full 3 years, they refund you. At my local store, anyway.

11. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Apple Store? Or Authorized Reseller? Can anyone confirm this?

12. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Authorized reseller. Simply Computing in Vancouver. They informed me of it in June, but I didn't cash in on it since I ended up using it for a screen problem.

13. asxtb macrumors 6502

No. I think it is too expensive. I got a warantee from the store I bought my iBook at a fraction of the cost of Applecare (About $20) It is a 3 years warantee and the store will replace it if anything happens to it such as dropping it, spilling water on it, etc... Does Applecare do that? :rolleyes:

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've never bought AppleCare, there's not really any point for home users in NZ due to the way warranties work here.

15. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Dah. I have had Applecare for just about a year now and have yet to touch it and can't imagine touching it so I was really hoping... Oh well. Maybe I should move to Canada.

16. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I have never purchase the applecare plan for any of my Macs. My PM MDD is almost three years old and my iBook is one year old and I have never had any problems with them (touch wood).
    Before I bought my first modern Mac, I asked a sales rep at the Applestore Prince street what his thoughts was about it. He told me that if there is some problems with the computer, it will most likely emerge within the first year.
    Problems that occur after the first year are mostly user induced, i.e. abuse or accidents. If you have a good home insurance, you can in these cases get some compensation from the "idiot clause".

17. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I usually buy apple care for all of my Mac's because I do use it and it will pay off in the end if I keep the computer. My TiBook went through over $1k worth of work and it was all free thanks to apple care.

18. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I get it for my work machines. My work encourages its purchase. I've needed to use it once for each of two laptops.

I don't buy it for my home machines. Work doesn't pay me enough!:D :D :D

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Never gotten AppleCare. Too expensive compared to what you get...

I don't think anybody ever bothered trying it legally yet, but Norwegian law should give us "reklamasjonsrett" - right to complaint, literally - against any errors on computer equipment, that should not occur due to "normal use", at least for two (and probably five) years, depending on whether the equipment is meant to last "considerably more than two years" or not. Much better than the standard 1 year warranty from Apple, and probably even better than the extended warranty provided by AppleCare... and that's for free... :cool:

20. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I have a 4th answer: my current purchase is the first one I've gotten Apple Care with. Given the few parts that eventually broke on my PowerBook (after the first year), I think it's worth it for my Mac Pro/Cinema Display. Of course I hope I don't have to use it.

21. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Same in the UK. Consumers are entitled to argue that a fault may not be due to "normal use". Problem with this country is no one complains...

22. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I bought it on my iMac G4 when I got it and used it for nothing more than telephone support. "How do I do this?" kind of questions.

Since then, I've purchased a Power Mac G5 and a MacBook, and assisted my sister in purchasing an iBook. None of these computers have AppleCare.

I've never had to use AppleCare to replace a part, and now that I know how to use the computer and maintain it, I no longer have to call and ask questions.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Poll takers, please distinguish between actual AppleCare use and warranty service during the first year of ownership. Otherwise, this poll is pretty meaningless.

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

It saved me about 2k.. on my iMac G5 Rev A..i should buy it for my intel Mini(also rev a) because its a rev A Mac..but i still have 10monts to buy it some i'm not in a rush