Do you visit your Grandparents regularly?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

On the way into work today the radio host guy was talking about doing a show next week from a nursing home for his birthday. He had some good points about how we don't visit with our Elderly or take care of them like we used to.

I was just curious how the Mac faithful computer geek set relates. I visit my Grandparents every couple of months, but my sister only visits them at most once a year. (She lives a good 1000 miles away.)

How often do you visit your grandparents? (If they are still living... )

2. iGav macrumors G3

I only have one Grandad left.... we lost my Granma last summer, and my Nan 2 years before. My other Grandad died in 1985.

I see my Grandad a couple of times a month, he's 80 (seems 68-70 to me) and is the most technically minded person I know, and is well on the pace!

He still flys his RC Aircraft and recently purchased a RC Tamiya Subaru... when I'm visiting we go out to off road trails and indulge in the art of driving like loonies! his Subaru against my hopped-up TXT-1!! :D

Oh, he also plays Playstation.... but then again it runs runs in the family... his daughter (my mum) has a PS2.... ;) :D

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

heh my grandma visits WA once a year usually in the summer months, my other grandma has become somewhat senile and seems to dislike me :(

4. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Your Grandad sounds cool! (So does your Mom for that matter.) I have one grandfather left and two Grandmothers left. One of my grandmothers has a gameboy, but now she plays more games on her iMac. :D (And I recommended that one for her before I switched. :)) (By the way, Applecare is Gramma Friendly. She calls them for anything and the usually get her problems fixed. :D)

5. iGav macrumors G3

My Grandad rocks, he was an engineer so he's very technically minded, and good with his hands. His very good with electronics as well.

He's been flying RC planes for over 20 years, and bought the car earlier this year for when he can't get his flight fix... :p so when I'm around we just go out and burn up some tarmac... he's quite the driver as well as pilot!! heh!

My mum has been into games since the early 80's when we had a 2600, she was always playing Centipede, so when I finished up with my Playstation a couple of years ago, I gave it to her, she became addicted to Driver, then Driver 2, and then earlier this year some good deals were coming out if you bought a PS2 and a game, so she bought that and 'The Getaway'. She's completed that and has just finished GTA 'Vice City'.... parents eh'... :eek: :p :p

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My grandparents died over 25 years ago. While growing up I visited my paternal grandparents often. Definitely would visit at least twice a month if not more. The first thing that I would do is to visit the refrigerator for a carrot. If we weren't there for a meal, usually before we left my grandmother would offer us food of some kind. On school vacations on would stay with my grandparents for up to a week. Always enjoyed going shopping. My grandfather always had very interesting errands. Them living on a farm there was usually something of interest!

7. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

I visit my grandmother often... She does my laundry for me.

8. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I visit my grandpa every saturday.My grandma died in the year 2000. My other grandparents live in mexico and ivisit them like every five years. I dont like my gandpa in exico since he a a rapist and a murdrer:mad: :(

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm glad to hear that you have a grandparent the you can visit weekly. I think that they are a very important part of a young person's life.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather in Mexico, that is sad. For your sake it may be better that he is long distance! :(

10. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

We don't visit my only grandmother enough. She lives a hour away and it is tough to get over there. We get over there about 5 times a year and we get my brothers and cousins to visit at the same time. It's nice to see my cousins too. My cousins and brothers live very close, but my grandmother see my cousins much more frequently.

Now, on my wife's side, we visited her grandparents a lot even though they live one and a half hours away. They live in a small town with my in-laws so it is just a given that we we visit my in-laws we will she her grandparents (those who are left anyway). We see them 2-4 times a month (on average). They also come up to the "city" and stay with us (usually her mom and grandma) about once a month.

11. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I see my dad's parents every week (they live right by me, so its easy), my mom's parents (grandma and step grandpa) every month or so (step grandpa is sick and has trouble with getting out much) and my mom's father every year or two (he lives 1500 miles away)

12. Mac til death macrumors regular

My dad and I go to vistit my grandparents usually twice a month to help out with things that need to be fixed and such.

My grandfather will be 90 on September 30 and my grandmother is five years younger than him.

They still live alone on the same 100 acres of land that they've lived on for the past 60 years.

My grandfather still has his mind, and one of the best of anyone I've met. He follows the stock market and the news.

My grandmother is a sweet lady who always says she's tired of putting up with my grandfather (and for good reason)... She can remember things better than I can and she's the reason our family is still together.

As far as health, my grandma was great until my grandpa got drunk about 6 months ago and decided he would pick a fight with my grandma... needless to say she got hurt and now has back problems.

My grandpa is no spring chicken either. He's had pneumonia a dozen times, emphysema, collapsed lungs, is blind in one eye, and most recently has an aneurism in his stomach. He went to the doctors more just to visit than to try and seek help. So he's had this for about 8 months.

The last time he was in the hospital for pneumonia, my grandpa got tired of the food and wanted to leave. When the hospital staff told him that he couldn't leave he "cussed" them like a dog and walked out. The doctor then told my grandma that he's so mean, he'll outlive us all...

anyway... If there were one person to write a best selling novel about their life, it should be my grandpa. He has the absolute best stories.

13. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

I wish I could visit my Momo (grandmother) more often but she lives in Lake Charles, Louisiana and I live in Oakland, California :( . She will be 93 years old next month and it has been about two years since I last saw her in person and I miss her. Momo is the only grand parent I have left and she is still independent and has her own house. I made a video interview with her called the life and times of Momo, its all about our family history and family tree. I can't wait to get a new 17" PB so I can put it on dvd and re-distribute it to my family- RAM