Do YOU want a 12 inch MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FF_productions, Mar 26, 2007.

?

Do you want a 12 inch MacBook Pro

Poll closed Jun 24, 2007.
  1. Yes and I'd buy one immediately!

126 vote(s)
    62.1%
  2. No, I thought the MacBook was supposed to be the replacement.

77 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Simple question. Do you guys want the actual replacement for the 12 inch PowerBook?

Sorry if it's been asked already..

2. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I honestly don't care if they replace the 12" PB with a 12" MBP, I'm happy with the MacBook being the replacement.

I'm not going to flip over 1" (or a tad over). That's just me...

3. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I'd take a 12" or even a 13" widescreen MBP. I like the smaller size a bit better, but I think I would need to have the backlit keyboard as well. I REALLY like that feature.

4. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    i think the 13 inch MB hits the nail on the head for the perfect size

not to small not too big

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd sell my 15" and get a 12" one in a heartbeat, if it has a backlit keyboard.. but what I really wish they'd make is a 14" one that feels like a 12". Large screen, very thin and light.

7. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

There is no reason to make one. unless apple can cram a separate video card in a smaller MBP. really the only difference b/w the MB and the MBP is the MB has a built in video card while the MBP has a separate video card. i think the only way it would work is if they made an ultra portable MBP 12" wide screen then ditched the CD drive and included a separate video card. thats the only way a small MBP could be distinguishable from the MB, but i think there is no way apple would do that. but if they did, i would totally buy one!

8. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

the whole point in the macbook pro is to be a work-horse...how can you edit anything using the new cs3 programs on a 12 inch screen?!:mad:

9. mac-eroni macrumors newbie

It depends on your needs.

I'm a designer and filmmaker. At home I use an external monitor to plug into. But I need an ultra portable laptop so I can bring it around easily and write/do presentations. It's all relative.

So ya, I'd buy a 12" MBP in a second!

10. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

seriously I wouldn't want 12" however. I prefer 10" for smaller footprint. 12" is way too close to my 13" macbook :D

11. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Just a thought - the sticking point seems to be about graphics capability, even though the physical size limitations of the screen mean not much meaningful graphics/creative work is going to be done on that size screen anyway, so....

1. Is there a 12.1" laptop out there at the moment currently shipping with anything better than Intel integrated graphics (GMA900/950)?
    2. Is there a 13.3" laptop out there at the moment currently shipping with anything better than Intel integrated graphics (GMA900/950)?
    3. Is there any laptop at all out there currently shipping with anything better than 32GB of Solid State Hard Disk?

We can move on from here :D :D :D

12. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

I'd love to see it but even the MacBook doesnt come with a fabulous graphics option - What would you be willing to give up?

13. mac-eroni macrumors newbie

Sony Vaio SZ series have NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 notebook GPU and Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Dell XPS M1210 has an optional GeForceGo 7400 upgrade available

14. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

The prayers are answered then!

I'll have one please :D :D :D :D !!!!

I'd love the 12" MBP if it got PCI-E graphics..

Did the 12" PB come with some sort of Port/Docking station? Or did it have as much connectivity as the bigger models?

15. mac-eroni macrumors newbie

BookEndz still sells a docking station for the 12" pb.

I'm pretty sure the only connectivity it was missing was the ability to connect to a 30" Cinema display (Dual DVI), and the pcmcia slot. Anything else I'm missing?

16. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

I'm just trying to figure out what connectivity options (if any) would be sacrificed for the smaller form factor?

BTW i configured my 'ideal' XPS M1210 and it came to £1725,14 incl VAT & shipping... - was just messin with 'em :D :D :D :D :D

17. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

I would buy one today. My sister's MacBook is too big for me, relative to my 12" PowerBook. I just wish the PowerBooks/MacBookPros were more rugged like the iBook/MacBook.

18. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Do I? No. I had a 12" PB (well... still have) and a 15.4 MBP, when I had the PB I thought it was great and I would never like the bigger 'tops, but now I have trouble going back to the PB. It's just too tiny, even working with the 13" MB's feels strange.

19. capone2 macrumors regular

i like BIG..

i have a 17 and waiting for a 19-

Where is Leopard? Here kitty kitty......

20. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

I dont want to be said to be hijacking a thread, but how would a 13.3" Macbook Pro with metal body, backlit keyboard, and lighter overall weight suit everyone? Would it be portable enough or would only a 12"WS or a 10" WS do?

21. mac-eroni macrumors newbie

I woulden't mind that, as long as it's thinner than the MB, and without the huge bevel it has. gotta save space wherever you can.

22. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

People seem to forget that the 12" PowerBook they miss so much was really just an iBook dolled up in an aluminum case to look like a PowerBook for more $$$. IMO, the MacBook was a huge upgrade.

23. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

I've never had a mac before my current C2D - so are you saying in effect then that the 12" PB was what today's equivalent would be a 12"Widescreen MacBook?

24. mac-eroni macrumors newbie

I don't know about everyone else, but for me the Superdrive, 80GB HD, lighter weight, smaller size, more durable aluminum casing, faster bus (slightly, but it did make a difference) would made it worth it. Plus the iBooks (for the better part of their life with G4s) had slower ram.

...Once again, some products fit consumer's needs better. Just because you may not care about these features does not mean they are not worth $600 to another consumer.

25. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I agree that there were some differences, of course, and that it was a good choice for many, but people seem to whince about the death of the beloved 12" PB as if it were a full-on PowerBook in a small case, something that it decidely wasn't.