Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you want AT&T, Verizon and Sprint to adopt T-Mobile uncarrier strategy?

• Yes

Votes: 203 80.2%
  • No

Votes: 50 19.8%

• Total voters

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012

Where's that $6639.96 from?

4 Iphone 5 from T-Mobile upfront at $579 each. That's $579 x 4 = $2316

Line 1: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 2.5GB of data
Line 2: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 2.5GB of data
Line 3: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 2.5GB of data
Line 4: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 2.5GB of data

$50 + $30 + $10 + $10
+$10 (extra 2GB of data) x 4 lines = $140 a month

$140 x 24 months = $3360

$2316 for 4 Iphone 5 + $3360 for 2 years of service = $5676

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

$50 + $30 + $10 + $10

$140 x 24 months = $3360

Don't shoot the messenger. Tells you what they used in the fine print

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Naturally I would vote yes but, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint are greedy corporate entities that have "ZERO" interest in giving you a choice and it will never happen!

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012

$50 + $30 + $10 + $10

$140 x 24 months = $3360

They aren't using the 2.5gb of data plan, they are using the unlimited data plan which brings your total up to 6636. Also if you want to add more data to mobile hotspot it increases it by an additional 10 dollars per line.

----------

For the people voting "No", it'd be cool to hear the reasoning behind that choice.

I did the math on another forum. Here is what I typed out.

700 minute minute plan but with 3 unlimited data lines and 2 other lines. Right now I am paying 230 a month. I use the other 2 lines for upgrades and just have two dummy phones on that so assume on a 24 month basis I spend about 1000 dollars on iphones during the cycle.

230 x 24 plus 1000 for 5 x iPhones = 6520

T-Mobile new family plan does not let you pick two dummy lines, so let me assume a 5 line plan with unlimited data, its is the only way I can match.

Because of T-Mobile no longer subsidizing phones, I am assuming under this new plan I would not be aggressively upgrading like before.

210 x 24 = 5040 plus 3 iphones at 579 x3 (1737) = 6777

So I would spend 257 dollars more on a two year cycle with T-Mobile and lose the ability to upgrade cheaply on two of my lines.

Yes I would gain unlimited minutes, but minutes is not an issue for me. All 3 of us average about 4 gigabytes of data usage each on ATT network, and we have never notice a throttle.

So basically I do not get to upgrade cycle like I do on ATT and I still pay 257 more on a 24 month basis.

If you really do the math and start comparing plans, you may find out that t-mobile savings is not that great.

Also until T-Mobile finishes their data upgrade and merger, in my area, the data speeds are terrible.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I do not like the idea of spending $600 on a phone out right.

T-Mobile new family plan does not let you pick two dummy lines, so let me assume a 5 line plan with unlimited data, its is the only way I can match.

Because of T-Mobile no longer subsidizing phones, I am assuming under this new plan I would not be aggressively upgrading like before.

You guys do realise that you don't have to pay the full $600 (or whatever the full iPhone cost is) outright the very second you're in the store, right? You can pay something like $100 right then and there (now you have $500 left to pay for the phone). After that point $20 per month is added to your phone bill until the rest of that phone is paid off, then the price drops back down. However, let's say you found a $100 bill on the ground a few days later. You can take that $100, walk into a T-Mobile store and say you want to put that $100 toward the price of your phone. They'll apply that and now your balance left to pay on the phone is $400. You can keep paying monthly or pay off the phone whenever you want.

This part is directed specifically at Kashsystems. You won't need dummy lines because you don't need to wait a certain amount of time to buy a new phone. Let's say I walk into a T-Mobile store today and get a $70 per month plan and get an iPhone. I pay $100 upfront and they'll put $20 onto my bill every month (so now it's $90 per month) until the phone is paid off. Then let's say when the GS4 is available in a couple of weeks I want that too. I can walk into a T-Mobile store and get that. I decide to pay $100 upfront and they add another $20 to my bill every month until the device is paid off (so now it's $110 per month). Once both phones are paid off, my bill will drop back down to $70 per month. T-Mobile doesn't care how often you get a new phone and of course there aren't any contract extensions associated with getting a new phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The people saying no don't really get it IMO.
They think they will pay $650 at once and get nothing in return.
I would gladly go for it if AT&T offered something like that.
And why not keep both options available.
Those who want 2 year contracts and the way it is and those who want cheaper plans without a subsidy from the carrier and no contract.
Let those who want to make payments on their monthly bill do it.
Tmobile is shaking things up and that's what they need to do to get back into the game now that they have the iphone officially.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
If Verizon or AT&T switch to this method (and I think they will forced to eventually), it doesn't mean the cost will be any different for users who buy phones every 2 years. They can make it work out so that those users pay the same as today. What it will mean is real transparency in what you are paying. It will also mean users can bring their own phone and have lower monthly plans. I don't see how anybody can be against this.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
You guys do realise that you don't have to pay the full $600 (or whatever the full iPhone cost is) outright the very second you're in the store, right? You can pay something like $100 right then and there (now you have $500 left to pay for the phone). After that point $20 per month is added to your phone bill until the rest of that phone is paid off, then the price drops back down. However, let's say you found a $100 bill on the ground a few days later. You can take that $100, walk into a T-Mobile store and say you want to put that $100 toward the price of your phone. They'll apply that and now your balance left to pay on the phone is $400. You can keep paying monthly or pay off the phone whenever you want.

This part is directed specifically at Kashsystems. You won't need dummy lines because you don't need to wait a certain amount of time to buy a new phone. Let's say I walk into a T-Mobile store today and get a $70 per month plan and get an iPhone. I pay $100 upfront and they'll put $20 onto my bill every month (so now it's $90 per month) until the phone is paid off. Then let's say when the GS4 is available in a couple of weeks I want that too. I can walk into a T-Mobile store and get that. I decide to pay $100 upfront and they add another $20 to my bill every month until the device is paid off (so now it's $110 per month). Once both phones are paid off, my bill will drop back down to $70 per month. T-Mobile doesn't care how often you get a new phone and of course there aren't any contract extensions associated with getting a new phone.

First let me state that I call them Dummy lines because they are used by dumb cellphones by distant family members (aunt and cousin). If they want data etc they would have to pay for it and get their own smart phones which they will do. So since those lines have extra upgrades available, I will gladly use them.

My whole purpose was to show what the costs are between the two if I follow my current upgrade pattern. I am still paying less with ATT over T-Mobile under those conditions. Also with the unlimited plan from T-Mobile if I want tethering it is 10 dollars for 2 gigabytes or 20 more for 4 gigabytes. That starts killing the deal.

Right now where I live T-Mobile stinks. It is realistic to expect them to take 2 years to build up LTE completely and I live in an area where usually those upgrades happen last. I wouldn't even touch them till they done that first.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Does t mobile still have family plans? Because although AT&T/Verizon are expensive for one person, the price comes way down as you add more people. I think my four person AT&T bill is about $260, or 65/person, with 4 iPhones with plenty of data.

To get the equivalent on t-mo would be their $60 plan -- but the AT&T price I quoted is with four subsidized phones. So the same on t-mo is really $80/person (or buying the phones outright up front).

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Does t mobile still have family plans? Because although AT&T/Verizon are expensive for one person, the price comes way down as you add more people. I think my four person AT&T bill is about $260, or 65/person, with 4 iPhones with plenty of data.

To get the equivalent on t-mo would be their $60 plan -- but the AT&T price I quoted is with four subsidized phones. So the same on t-mo is really $80/person (or buying the phones outright up front).

For 4 lines on Tmo
Unlimited talk + txt + data, throttled after 500MB - $100 for 4 lines ($180 with the phone payments)
Unlimited talk + txt + data, throttled after 2.5GB - $140 for 4 lines ($220 with the phone payments)
Unlimited talk + txt + data, not throttled - $180 for 4 lines ($260 with the phone payments)

Last edited:

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

Yes, it's posted in the OP and quoted several times here. I have AT&T with an old outdated plan that I got about 8 years ago, 450 minutes....added a second line. Both phones are iPhones with 2GB plans. I got a 25% FAN discount (about $118 a month).

T-Mobile is still much cheaper.

Line 1: $50 -------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed)
Line 2: +$30 --------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed)
Line 3: +$10---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed)
Line 4: +$10---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed)
Line 5: + $10--------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed)

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005

Yeah, those numbers a skewed in favor of the big 2. If you do it yourself and actually compare it... tmobile comes out on top.

For instance, the 2 person on ATT is for 4GB shared... on Tmobile THEY have it at 4GB per person.. if you do 2GB per person (4GB btwn the two) tmobile comes out $440 cheaper.

For the 4 person ATT, they used ATT's 6GB shared while for TMobile... I'm really not sure how they got those numbers, they must be using unlimited data on that. But again, give EACH person on Tmobile 2GB (8GB total) and Tmobile AGAIN comes $640 cheaper than ATT.

Point being, never believe anyone else's math especially when it's super easy for you to do. This person clearly had a bias or was ignorant in their comparisons (them using ATT 4GB shared vs. TMobile 4GB per person). So please, next time you see this, call them out and as usual, have ppl do the math themselves.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
For 4 lines on Tmo
Unlimited talk + txt + data, throttled after 500MB - $100 for 4 lines
Unlimited talk + txt + data, throttled after 2.5GB - $140 for 4 lines
Unlimited talk + txt + data, not throttled - $180 for 4 lines

Ok, got it. That's impressive.

Although to compare apples to apples, we have to add $20/month/line for the device. Because the AT&T prices I quoted are subsidized. So really, $260 for 4 lines. Same as I have now with AT&T.

Edit: I take that back. The equivalent t-mo plan to what I have now would be the 2.5gb soft cap, so the $140/month before the device cost, not the $180. So yes, it would be about $40 cheaper.

Edit 2: that 260 I quoted on AT&T is the total cost, with taxes and fees. The t-mo quotes aren't. So figure another $15-20 or so on top of the quoted t-mo prices. The gap is there, but it's not very wide.

The advantages being no contract and option to lower cost by $20/month/line if I want to keep a phone longer than two years. Disadvantage being a big hit to coverage area.

----------

Yes, it's posted in the OP and quoted several times here. I have AT&T with an old outdated plan that I got about 8 years ago, 450 minutes....added a second line. Both phones are iPhones with 2GB plans. I got a 25% FAN discount (about $118 a month).

T-Mobile is still much cheaper.

Line 1: $50 -------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed)
Line 2: +$30 --------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed)

Not so much cheaper. To get the same amount of data that you have now, it's $60 for line one and $40 for line 2 on t-mo. And $20/month/line for the two phones. $140 total. AT&T is cheaper for you (the minutes are limited, but that's not an issue for most people these days).

Last edited:

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Ok, got it. That's impressive.

Although to compare apples to apples, we have to add $20/month/line for the device. Because the AT&T prices I quoted are subsidized. So really, $260 for 4 lines. Same as I have now with AT&T.

Edit: I take that back. The equivalent t-mo plan to what I have now would be the 2.5gb soft cap, so the $140/month before the device cost, not the $180. So yes, it would be about $40 cheaper.

Don't forget you only pay $100 per phone up front rather than $200 on ATT. So there is a $400 savings right there on the first day ;)

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Not so much cheaper. To get the same amount of data that you have now, it's $60 for line one and $40 for line 2 on t-mo. And $20/month/line for the two phones. $140 total. AT&T is cheaper for you (the minutes are limited, but that's not an issue for most people these days).

I am seeing it as about $18 cheaper (but I didn't add tmobile tax, and the fact that I would have to buy the phone, which I want to do anyway because of frequent travel and need for an unlocked phone)

Also, it's 2.5Gb of data with T-mobile and only 2 with AT&T. I use more than 90% of my data each month, that extra .5 would be helpful.

I am really on the fence with this one.

EDIT: I see where you are getting the $120 from. The unlimited nation wide 4G. Is that their LTE or HSPA+?

Attachments

• tmobile.JPG
    tmobile.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
Wow, there seems to be some huge misunderstanding. EVERYONE should be saying yes to this question.

For those of you say no, I'm respectfully telling you that you don't fully understand it. Here is why

AT&T: I sign up for 2 year contract get new shiny iPhone for $200. I pay $Z a month for 2 years, no questions asked. When 2 years is up, I'm told I should probably resign for a new shiny iPhone for another 2 years.

T-Mobile: I sign up for a plan for $X, NO contract. I tell them I want shiny new iPhone with that no contract plan, they say no prob. They tell me I pay $100 up front for iPhone and that on top of $X, I also be paying $Y for the phone (which you can pay off at anytime). So right now I see how much my plan is costing me, and how much my phone is. After 2 years, I've paid for the phone. Rinse repeat.

The Difference: With AT&T I don't know how much is going to the iPhone a month, therefore I don't know how much my plan ACTUALLY costs me. When 2 years are up, if I decide to NOT upgrade, I'm still charged the same amount even while I was supposedly paying off the phone w/ AT&T. WHY? Lets keep going. Not only are T-Mobiles plans cheaper with an attached phone payment, the iPhone itself is cheaper... $75 cheaper than you even get from the Apple Store. Did I mention, NO CONTRACT. Also, numerous calculations show you will at least be saving $600 over 2 years. Unless you wipe your butt with dollar bills, $600 is a bit of cash. Let's not get into "but they're only in 7 cities with LTE"... the other carriers use much different standards for what city coverage means with LTE. T-Mobile says ENTIRE city.

So with all this in mind, you have to take into consideration coverage. Places will have different coverage so you might not even have real options. But if you do the math, you'll always come out better with T-Mobile. Heck, even if I don't stay with T-Mobile in the future, I know I'll sure as heck go to their stores to buy an iPhone (which gets unlocked right there when purchased in full) since it'll be $75 cheaper than an Apple store.

I fully understand what Tmobile is doing but I prefer the subsidized model for now, because I upgrade every two years...Tmobile will need to improve it's covergae before I consider leaving the deathstar...rollover minutes keep my airtime low, unlimited LTE data and access to all AT&T wifi hotspots is a better advantage than financing the phone to me

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
If you're in an area where T-Mobile has good coverage, then it's a great move to switch. No sensible reason not to. Otherwise, I would stick with Verizon/AT&T if they work better in your area.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
what I am really interested in is the possibility of buying the phone from tmobile unlocking it and putting it on AT&T WHILE I pay Tmobile the $20 a month...how soon can you cancel new service under this new Tmobile system?

----------

i am seeing it as about $18 cheaper (but i didn't add tmobile tax, and the fact that i would have to buy the phone, which i want to do anyway because of frequent travel and need for an unlocked phone)

also, it's 2.5gb of data with t-mobile and only 2 with at&t. I use more than 90% of my data each month, that extra .5 would be helpful.

I am really on the fence with this one.

Edit: I see where you are getting the $120 from. The unlimited nation wide 4g. Is that their lte or hspa+?

hspa+

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I fully understand what Tmobile is doing but I prefer the subsidized model for now, because I upgrade every two years...Tmobile will need to improve it's covergae before I consider leaving the deathstar...rollover minutes keep my airtime low, unlimited LTE data and access to all AT&T wifi hotspots is a better advantage than financing the phone to me

The other thing ppl tend to glaze over is you can trade in your phone for "fair market price" at anytime for upgrades. All of the sudden it doesn't become so expensive to upgrade every year.

**Very important to remember that you only pay $100 upfront rather than $200 if you go the subsidized or payment route

----------

what I am really interested in is the possibility of buying the phone from tmobile unlocking it and putting it on AT&T WHILE I pay Tmobile the $20 a month...how soon can you cancel new service under this new Tmobile system?

You can only finance while you've currently got a plan with them. By all means you can just go in and buy it paid in full right there and save yourself a trip to the apple store and $70. But if payments is your thing... you're out of luck unless you stay with them.

----------

EDIT: I see where you are getting the $120 from. The unlimited nation wide 4G. Is that their LTE or HSPA+?

HSPA+ nationwide. They are currently have LTE in 7 markets, which means the city is FULLY covered rather than the other telco's say markets but it isn't fully covered. TMo made a point of explaining that during their "un-carrier" event.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The other thing ppl tend to glaze over is you can trade in your phone for "fair market price" at anytime for upgrades. All of the sudden it doesn't become so expensive to upgrade every year

Dare I ask what they consider "fair market value" to be on a year-old phone?

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Dare I ask what they consider "fair market value" to be on a year-old phone?

No idea, but hey, check craigslist first and if you can get more selling it there... do it, pay off remaining balance then rinse repeat.

Edit: But if what I've seen in past is any indicator, at least on craigslist year old model goes for at least half of what it cost... usually 2/3 is what i'm seeing. So by then, you'll have paid off at least half the cost of phone w/ TMo and you've got some extra to go towards the new one.

Edit #2: Doing some math... If you want the new iPhone a year in... that means you'll have $240 remaining ($20*12) and I checked craigslist in my local area (Twin Cities) and I see iPhone 4s's going for at least $330 being lowest... unlocked ones $380-420. So that at least $70 in pocket (just short of financing a new one through TMo) after selling on craigslist. Again that's for 4s while 5s is right around the corner.

Last edited:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
No idea, but hey, check craigslist first and if you can get more selling it there... do it, pay off remaining balance then rinse repeat.

Edit: But if what I've seen in past is any indicator, at least on craigslist year old model goes for at least half of what it cost... usually 2/3 is what i'm seeing. So by then, you'll have paid off at least half the cost of phone w/ TMo and you've got some extra to go towards the new one.

Well ok, that's fine, but you can sell your year-old phone on CL or eBay no matter what carrier you have. That's not really a t-mo-specific advantage unless they're giving you a better deal than what you can get on CL.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Well ok, that's fine, but you can sell your year-old phone on CL or eBay no matter what carrier you have. That's not really a t-mo-specific advantage unless they're giving you a better deal than what you can get on CL.

T-Mobile has the advantage because when you sell your year old iPhone on Craigslist for $350, you can pay off that $240 that you still owed on it and go ahead and get the newest iPhone model for $99 upfront. Repeat the process again and effectively get the latest iPhone every year.

Also with the store trade in, they currently offer around $220-$250 for the 4S so you could just trade it to them if you're afraid of Craigslist and end up upgrading to the newest iPhone every year for $99 each year.

With the other carriers you'll have to pay $650 (minus the $350 you got off selling your old phone) upfront for the latest iPhone unless it's your upgrade year. With T-Mobile you can do this every year or anytime you have extra cash.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
If it makes for cheaper plans then yes. I mean phones are already so over priced as it is, this would bring the prices more in line with what google does with the nexus devices price wise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.