Do you wear glasses/contacts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macEfan, Feb 20, 2006.

1. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Who here wears glasses or contacts?
    Just wondering.... I may have to get some soon. :(

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

no,

,But contacts seem neat because you can change your eye color. Glasses can turn to sun glasses(however i hear they don't work so well)

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I wear a pair of Dolce & Gabbana frames on some fairly weak but effective lenses for my long-sightedness. They are great, half frames so I don't see big black lines across the lower part of my vision and are very, very light.

Make sure you spend the time trying on the frames to get the ones that you absolutely want. You'll kick yourself if you go for ones that are only OK cause you've got them on your face for most of the day.

I would also advise to spend the extra bucks and get the lenses that have the anti-glare coating on them. That way when you're in low light places or have a light source behind you, you don't end up looking at yourself staring back at you through the lenses - it's very annoying.

5. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Glasses at home, contacts when I'm playing sport (so I can wear my Oakleys :cool: )

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed...and if they ask you if u want the glasses that tint..think real hard about it first because you might get tired of them tinting all the time. Don't listen to them when they say the tint goes away right away...thats a freaking lie.

Bless

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Contacts, glasses hurt my brain.
    Day and night ones are brilliant - the only time you go near them is changing them once a month. Changed my life.

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

glasses, never had contacts but i love how i look in glasses. I thought i looked awful when i first got glasses back in the day but the right frames make some people look better with them :)

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

One or the other for the last fifteen years...I go through phases, but I've been wearing contacts the majority of the time over the last few years. Focus Monthlies...I've been happy with them and they aren't a pain in the butt.

My vision is pretty bad, so my glasses are high-index...makes the lenses thinner. They also have anti-glare and anti-scratch coatings. Ups the price a lot, but makes them nicer and last longer.

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Glasses since I was 8 years old. Can't wear contacts because my eyes don't like having stuff poked into them, and won't do LASIK because my vision's so bad they can't guarantee to get me back to 20/20 (I'm 20/15 with glasses) and I fear being one of the 1% who have problems with LASIK.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Lasik.
    Before that it was contacts, before that it was glasses, before that it was headaches.

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Contacts, and I take them out at night and wear my glasses. I'm 20/beyond400. I can't see six inches in front of my face without correction.

Plus, I had a viral type problem in my retina at age 23, so I have a blind spot in my right eye that pretty much covers the center of vision for that eye. I have peripheral, though.

13. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I wear contact lenses everyday for about 12 hours avg. They're very comfortable but you need to take them out before going to bed.

Ciba vision - Focus Night & days (UK site) are for continuous night and day use for 30 days. You put them in once and that's it until next month. £37.25 for 6 lenses is pretty good but I haven't tried them yet. I've heard they are very good though.

Most of the time I completely forget I'm wearing lenses. I can't wear glasses because I always tense up the back of me head for some reason. :confused: Gives me headaches.

14. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I wear contacts. I thought about trying lasik, but I can't afford it and I don't really mind the contacts.

15. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Glasses now (trifocals, eeeek!). For a few years I wore contacts until my allergies got so bad that they were causing nearly-constant eye irritation and I couldn't tolerate the contacts any longer. Actually, I think I'm one of those people who actually looks better with glasses than without.

16. jwp1964 macrumors regular

Glasses for reading since law school, but I think turning 30 at law school was the real cause!:p

17. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Those are reactive lenses. They actually work OK.

-----

I wear contacts and glasses.

Contacts are good - but I can only wear them for around 8 hours a day - after that and they are uncomfortable. Also I need to use eye drops because my eyes dry out quite fast. I only wear them 4 or 5 days a week - same reasons - they get uncomfortable and to give my eyes a rest from them.

I prefer contact lenses but they take a while to get use to - after that you can't really notice them. However, you do must not mind, of course, getting your fingers close to your eyes - something some people cannot stomach.

Ccontact lenses that you can keep in over night are now available... they will take a lot of convincing... ( having a few times left my contacts in overnight - after a few beers!)

18. Lau Guest

Same here! I think, anyway. I've worn glasses since I was 9 or 10. I'm comically blind without them.

I've got some nice rimless ones now, that are almost invisible round the edges and really light. They're the thinner lenses (without this they'd be really thick) and have the anti-reflective coating, because I know I like to see people's eyes when they speak.

When I got this pair last year, I got a deal to get a pair of prescription sunglasses too - my first pair ever! - and have treated myself to a pair of prescription swimming goggles, as I pretty much can't go swimming on my own without them. Obviously I could solve these problems with contacts, but I kind of like my glasses. Only time I really wish I didn't wear them is while playing pool - to get down over the cue properly I always end up looking over the top of them, and my game suffers. :eek:

19. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

That's my next project as spring rolls around so that I'll have a pair of prescription sunglasses before summer is upon us. I had a pair a few years ago but lost them. At the time I got my current glasses, which like yours, are rimless and somewhat thin with the antireflection coating, because they were the ultra-lightweight titanium frames, I really couldn't afford to get sunglasses just then too, and no deal was offered. I could've used my old frames, I suppose, but I wanted to hang on to those as spare glasses in case something happens to these, since there isn't a lot of difference in the prescription. Besides, I'd like to get the lightweight titanium frames for the sunglasses as well, as they are SOOOO comfortable.

That is really cool to have prescription swimming goggles! Wow! Didn't know there was such a thing!

20. Lau Guest

Yeah, it was great in the summer! It wasn't quite as nice as my friends who don't wear glasses who could just put them up on their head if they went inside - I had a big faff around with cases and frames. But then I went to Barcelona, and just wore them most of them time because we were outside most of them time anyway. It was great! Having never had them before, I really appreciated them, and realised I go round squinting at the sun the rest of the time! Mmm, crows feet. :D

I had always thought this was such a cool idea, but had always thought they were expensive. But then I found out you can buy them online for £30 or so. The proper ones that are perfect for your prescription are £90ish, but if you don't swim for hours on end you can get readymade approximate ones. You just order the nearest lens to your prescription - ie if it's +2.75 you get a +2.5 lens, or whatever. I suppose if you wore them all day you might get a headache as they aren't perfect, but they have been fine for me when I've worn them and they don't seem too weak or strong. You can order the two lenses to be different prescriptions as well, which is what I did as both my eyes aren't the same. It's very nice to be able to go swimming by myself and not inadvertently stumble into the wrong changing room or fall in the deep end!

21. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Prescription Swimming goggles - I didn't know they made such a thing! Where do you get them? How expensive are they?

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Contacts when I leave the house, glasses otherwise. Infact not a single person on my course knows I wear contacts. thought I'd see how long I get before the tell tale signs start showing... I'm either very good or they're very bad.

Once I put cleaning acid in my eye. that was fun.

23. Lau Guest

See my post above yours - I think our posts crossed over! They aren't as expensive as you might think.

24. macEfan thread starter macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    ouch.... that must have stung a lot :rolleyes:

25. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

I have a friend who swims nearly every day, summer and winter -- I'll tell her about this, as she's complained a few times about not being able to see all that well when she's in the water with regular swim goggles and of course not wanting to wear her contacts and take the chance of losing one or both in the water.