Do you work from home?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, May 8, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Even part-time?

What do you do?

Do you like working from home?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Kinda, run my lawn maint business from home. Set my own hours,work as much as i want and on rainy days im here;) Yeah i like it and there isnt anything like not punching a clock.:D

3. iGav macrumors G3

Yep, frequently too. Though I do spend a reasonable amount of time working client side as well.

I consider myself fortunate that I'm not stuck in the same office, day after day, after day, after day. ;)

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Yes I do. I'm a digital artist and soon to be web designer :)

I love working from home, I get more done.

5. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Yep.

I don't get much done....

I'm a **** boss too... I don't give my staff (me) any motivation.

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, you sound like me....

7. kjr39 macrumors 6502

About once a week.

Get more done at home than at work.

8. dcv macrumors G3

I used to but I've been back at the orifice for about 6 weeks now :(

Much prefer being at home as it leaves more free evening time, what with not having to commute and being able to pop to the gym during the day. That said, it is quite nice to be surrounded by people again!

9. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Yup. Full-time. Do technical support for a software company. It isn't a Microsoft helpline, but the hubby often teases me that all I do all day is tell people to reboot.

Most days I feel more productive than at the office. I like the flexibility and the lack of commute--the three to four hours a day before was killer.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I used to and I wish I could now. I've proven that my entire job could be done effectively from home with further proof that productivity could increase by at least 20%, but they're still fighting it.
    When I did work from home however, I was a web designer mostly. My other function was to complete the research and design of a new course for the drafting department. 2nd best job ever. What I do now is entirely unrelated.

Gary what do you do from home? You didn't say.

11. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I don't but I hope to some day....

..thoughts? Suggestions?

12. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I don't but I really wish I did. I really don't have any skills that could be parlayed into a full-time at-home job so I guess I'm SOL. Unless someone has 2,000 envelopes I can lick and stamp and mail, making $1-$2,000 per week doing so.:D

13. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

During the summers I get paid to read books, write poems, walk the dog, make fancy meals and keep my house clean. ;)

And today, you ask? A "personal" day ... :)

14. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I find I really miss the interaction and daily ritual that come with working at an office. Despite my curmudgeon-like appearance here, I really do love working with people.

Hopefully I get revenues up enough this year to justify an office.

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

I work from home on occasion - generally a few times a month. I find that I can get a lot done as I can do paperwork, reports, etc., without interruption. But much of my job is also interaction with others, so it's important to get face time with my "constituents" as it were.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sometimes....my manager at work always asking me to do this and that from my home...does that count?

Bless

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You know my story iGary, and could not be happier about being back on the retail floor again. :)

Also I learned that I am better off in a more structured environment.

18. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

I run my business from my home office, and I'm a full time daddy. (See profile pic)

I'm a "network & security engineer" - I'm basicly a contracted IT manager / IT staff for mid-to-large medical groups. I take care of all the IT needs for medical groups that have too many computers and servers to deal with on there own, yet not enough to have a full-time IT staff. I enjoy it, I only work 10 or so hours a week, the rest of my time is spent with my baby girl.

As for getting things done, well that's pretty dependant on my daughter's mood and just how important the task is.

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I am (was) today. The fact I am cruising the forums pretty much says how slack I am today. I have spent the last 4 hours on expense reports and phone calls. Now to sample tracking! Please, someone save me.

I did figure out the other day I avg about 20hrs a week in my car. I avg 51mph and approx 1000 miles a week. So being at home today is productive time in general. (I had an esphogeal stent resked to later this week so I can work here all day).

I can get lonely in the car some days, and love it when I have someone riding along. My customers fill most of my need to office interact, but for 20hrs a week it is me the radio, and cell phone.

20. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

I work from home - I'm a freelance copywriter. There are good and bad things about it. I don't miss commuting into work or paying the earth for inner-city lunches but I do miss the office banter and related social life you get with good work colleagues.

21. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I spend half of my work time at the office designing t shirts and other things.

The other half, I spend at home and out around town with my photography business. I'm trying to streamline my workflow so I spend more time shooting, and less time in front of my computer.

The third half, I spend at school trying to finish up my two degrees. I am not a math major.

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

How hard has it been not being in the cockpit?

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Full-time home office worker here, along with my wife, who is also my partner in our consulting business. Our two cats are our only employees. They specialize in breaking things. I really appreciate the commute (down the hall, first door on the left). The downside, if there is one, is the tendency to become distracted (e.g., spending too much time on MR boards), but otherwise I wouldn't work in an office again for any money. I've solved the social issues of not working in an office by becoming active in a service club. I highly recommend this to any home-office worker -- it gets you out at least once a week, and especially if you work and live in the same community, these clubs really need you.

24. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I am so busy that I don't ever really think of it. The title "Pilot" is the only romantic part of the job. My wife and I were talking about it last night as a matter of fact.

There is a local company with a plane that has called on me to maybe be a pilot and salesman. Basically flying the CEO and or just myself to make a sale. I must say the combo does peak my interest.

To the point I don't miss it, yet, and fly with a buddy who owns his own plane, when I want to.

25. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've been in school for a year and a half, as well as been sub-teaching a lot. Being at home, I don't motivate myself to work on projects like I should. But, my work is good when completed, I just procrastinate. I feel better when I get out in the classroom, so I hope a get a job teaching soon!