Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
iGary said:
I find I really miss the interaction and daily ritual that come with working at an office. Despite my curmudgeon-like appearance here, I really do love working with people.

Hopefully I get revenues up enough this year to justify an office.

iGary I echo your sentiments in that I miss getting design and marketing feedback from all the other guys I worked with at the ad agency, we had an open production area we called "the pit" which allowed for creativity and instant feedback...

I tele-video commute now and it helps bridge the communication gap. I bought a few of the guys at the agency iSight cams, combined with their T1 internet connections we get good results without much lag.

It's worked well so far, and is a pretty nice way to collaborate, but it's still not the same as being there.

On the other hand, working at home is great, I can get up and know that I won't have to be in my car in L.A. traffic for an hour and fifteen minutes to go 17 miles to get to the office...instead...I can walk a few blocks and be at the beach in Monterey Bay and catch another sunrise... :cool:

I work from home doing part-time writing. It works for now. But I think the reason it works so well is b/c I'm a full-time student. Like a lot of others I some kind of people interaction everyday.

And don't listen to the rumor that I'm forced to work from home b/c I talk so much nobody wants to put up with me, it's a viscious lie! Everybody loves the gospel according to Boggle.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
highres said:
iGary I echo your sentiments in that I miss getting design and marketing feedback from all the other guys I worked with at the ad agency, we had an open production area we called "the pit" which allowed for creativity and instant feedback...

I tele-video commute now and it helps bridge the communication gap. I bought a few of the guys at the agency iSight cams, combined with their T1 internet connections we get good results without much lag.

It's worked well so far, and is a pretty nice way to collaborate, but it's still not the same as being there.

On the other hand, working at home is great, I can get up and know that I won't have to be in my car in L.A. traffic for an hour and fifteen minutes to go 17 miles to get to the office...instead...I can walk a few blocks and be at the beach in Monterey Bay and catch another sunrise... :cool:

Monterey? My favorite place on Earth?

*jealous*

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
I used to work from home, only since I was looking for a job so I had to freelance in the mean time. :p

It was good, and in design I think it's not necessarily a bad thing to be in a 'free' environment. For instance - I was working on a job (actaully, part of the only job I freelanced on so far) thinking up a concept for a logo/company ID. I was actaully taking a break, watching some StarGate. :eek: But then the idea just came to me. Now that's the kind of work I'm all for. :D

But for the most part, I think I do get more done at work, although my creations there have been no where near as creative. I suppose I work in a 'budget' design sector, and people get what they pay for. You just can't spend the same amount of time when people don't want to spend any money. But I'm sure that if I was busier freelancing that I'd get alot more done. And I do plan to freelance again in the future, after I get some experience under the old belt. Technically, I've only had a 'real job' in the graphic design field for about 4 months.

Oh, and speaking about rigs... :D

Is it strange that a freelancer would have a better computer at his home than he does at work? :eek:
They're upgrading finally to LCD screens at work, but I'll bet they'll only get something like a 19". Quite a few inches off from what I've got here at home. And they're also a PC based place, to make things even worse they run Norton.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.