Do Your Dreams Make Sense?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Jun 14, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

1) Do your dreams make sense?
    2) Where do your dreams take place?
    3) Are the people in your dreams familiar or total strangers?
    4) Do you dream in black and white or color?
    5) Do you ever have reoccurring dreams?
    6) Do you avoid sleeping whenever possible?

Myself:

1) Never do - always wacky.
    2) Usually in an institution that doesn't exist.
    3) Always strangers.
    4) In color with vivid detail.
    5) Yes and hate them.
    6) Wait until I can't stay awake any longer.

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

A lot of my dreams are violent, and most re-occur, but with slight differences.

If I can't figure them out myself, I have a dream dictionary, which after I read it - always leads to the source of the dream.

3. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

You should add another question.

7) Are they X-rated?

---

Yes.

:eek:

4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

1) No, not at all.
    2) usually in familiar places, my house, friends houses, school.
    3) familiar
    4) color, sometimes I wonder if that really happened.
    5) accasonally, not often.
    6) no.
    7.) sometimes...
    8.) what time of night do you usually have your dreams?
    Usually after I wake up at like 3 or 4 and then I fall back to sleep.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'll start getting worried when my dreams actually do start making sense.

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

1) Yep.
    2) Various places from my past or places that I'll be going.
    3) Familiar.
    4) Color.
    5) Seldomly.
    6) No, why would I want to do that?

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

1) Do your dreams make sense? They almost always make sense while I am experiencing them - after I wake up, they invariably deal with small impossibilities, due to their composite nature.

2) Where do your dreams take place? Strangely, I usually remember the people and actions in the dreams more than the settings - though the setting I usually remember are composites of places I have been and even more strangely, places I haven't. The latter make me curious, as I am able to conjure miraculous detail about some place I've never been.

3) Are the people in your dreams familiar or total strangers? Again, composites - sometimes people I know, sometimes not, other times a mix of the two, either in an individual or in cumulative. Sometimes they are people I know aged, including myself.

4) Do you dream in black and white or color? Color mostly.

5) Do you ever have reoccurring dreams? sometimes, but I know I only remember a small fraction of my dreams, so it is hard to say.

6) Do you avoid sleeping whenever possible? No.

7) Are they X - rated? Can be.

8) What time of night do you dream? Probably more than I know. The dreams I usually remember are those in my lighter sleep, which is in the couple hours before I get up officially after getting out of bed to get a glass of water (for example).

The funny thing about my dreams is that they are near - lucid, in that I know I am dreaming somewhat, but am an observer - so I can control how I see (in terms of what I look at, focus attention on) but not the action I see/participate in. It is hard to describe, but curious - I can remember thinking (in a dream), that this is important and that I should remember it (when I am awake). Somewhat relatedly, I have good dream retention, at least for theme, if not specifics.

I also have wierd preminitory dreams - and subsequently experience a lot of dejá vu. I see places and people that I haven't been to and don't recognize (in dreamland), and then find myself in the situation in real-life - though being unable to always remember the specifics makes it maddeningly ambiguous. It is very wierd - and I have no control and it is seemingly random. I will just find myself standing in a some place and what I see is the exact scene I just know I have seen before, or I will recognize someone I have never met or a place I have never been. There have been times, where with such a person, if we talk in real-life, I will actually know something about them I shouldn't know - invariably something random. Relatedly, there have been the same instances where I have inexplicably navigated around somewhere I never have been, like I know where to go - again with random markers, like a convenience store or the relation of buildings in my line-of-sight.

I can't explain very well, I am afraid...meh. I do find it very interesting, though not necessarily profound. I haven't found my soulmate or buried treasure for example...

8. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

One time I had just learned about the capabilities of FireWire and I had a dream that instead of plugs in the walls of your house there was just firewire ports. You would plug your computer which would both charge/supply power to it and give you access to a central Xserve, other computers plugged in and the internet. You would also have all you lights and anything that needed power connected to the Xserve. You had client software installed on a computer and program when you want the lights to turn on and off or when the tv or other appliances would turn off. (ex: You could password protect it so that your kids couldn't watch tv after a certain time)

I dont know, it was a weird dream. lol.

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

1) they're plausible situations, but not really
    2) real places, but the place depends on the dream
    3) it depends on the dream
    4) i don't dream visually; just audio
    5) no, not really
    6) I'm posting this at 4:00 am aren't i?
    7) never

i used to never dream, or at least never remember them, until a couple weeks ago, so i guess any dreams are welcome :p

some examples of my recent dreams: taking a friend i haven't seen in 6 months to an abortion clinic, getting stopped by the police in new york driving a bmw and carrying a large amount of acid, being stopped by the police here in san antonio because i was driving about 10mph down san pedro (big street with fast-moving traffic), being lost driving around woodlawn lake (a local lake) for hours with some friends, arriving at harvard to start college my freshman year and finding out my roommate was this guy i haven't seen in quite some time but was my best friend in elementary school, and being a designated driver after a party. odd that most of those listed involve driving...

10. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I might have been slightly over dramatic about #6, but I do think to myself when going to bed: "sigh ... what crazy stuff is going to happen this time?" I actually have much smoother dreams when falling asleep unintentionally, such as falling asleep in a chair while watching television.

blackfox, Nice post! Fasinating stuff. :)

11. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Making me laugh out loud ... :D

Also, I'm assuming you're referring to the kind of acid that doesn't sting. ;)

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My dreams sometimes make sense, but often don't. And, surprisingly, for the amount of time I spend around computers I have very few computer-related dreams. I got freaked out the other day when I dreamed that Apple had released a minor update to the iPod. The next day they released the U2 model :eek:

I was actually considering posting a "stupid" thread in the private forums, "Apple to release minor iPod update!" I'm kicking myself for not doing it :p

13. savagedudeguy macrumors newbie

My dreams are the equvalent to a David Lynch film, so no.

14. imacintel macrumors 68000

My dreams are always abou6t macs, so It yas to make sense!;)

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My dreams very rarely make any sense at all.

Last night I had only one dream that I remembered and it was about a competition to fight zombies. Me and about 300 or 400 other students split into groups of 5, and each group went to the top of a citadel type thing, and zombies were sent to us in waves that we had to fight off. My group - the wushu group, which the leader of our group mistakenly named the 'mushu' group on all the posters and such, won. My left leg was super flexible, and I was lifting it up next to my head, and holding it there.

e

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

1) Mostly just daft scenarios, e.g. being attacked by gorillas in my bedroom (Freud fans - I'm not interested! :D )
    2) Home, my old school, familiar places..
    3) Almost always people I know - though until a few years ago, no one in my dreams had a face. I've no idea what that signifies.
    4) Never really noticed, colour I guess.
    5) Yup, though a couple of years might pass between each occurrence.
    6) Nope.
    11) Have you had a dream where you realised you were dreaming, and then could take control of the dream? ("lucid dreaming" I think it's called?)

Yes. I didn't believe it ever happened, until I had one (and only one). I was talking to an attractive girl I vaguely know in my dream, when I realised we normally wouldn't talk and I must be dreaming. And from that point forward.. I shouldn't really say what happened next, I wonder if I could get in trouble? ;)

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

1) Most of the dreams I can remember make some sense. There almost always seems to be something I'm looking for or trying to do.

2) Mostly composite places. I'll start in my Grandma's kitchen and walk into my Uncle's living room. Leave the house and be in the city I went to College in and things like that. Doorways don't lead where they should but are almost always places I've been before.

3) People are always familiar, sometimes old classmates, mostly family though. Some people are composites as well, I'll be talking to someone in my dream and in the course of interacting with them they will become someone else.

4) This I am not sure of. My mind rarely registers colors as being important so I don't really remember if the dream had colors or not.

5) I used to have them more than I do now. I often find myself dreaming of work. I used to have dreams about missing a test or project and getting my degree/diploma taken away. Those seem to have stopped since I started Grad School. I'm hoping they're gone for good after I finish. There were also a couple nightmares from when I was young but I haven't had one of those in ages.

6) I never avoid sleep, I just don't have time to get stuff done unless I stay up late/wake up early. This leads to a lack of sleep that I would rather not have to deal with.

7) Sometimes, but not very often.

8) The dreams I remember are the ones within an hour or so of my alarm going off, or the ones that I fall back into between "snooze" button hits.

11) Most of the dreams I can remember I have some control over. The degree of control varies but I almost always know I'm dreaming. Sometimes I use the snooze button for the express purpose of getting back to the dream to see how it ends, unfortunately I don't think any of them really do end...

18. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

1) Do your dreams make sense? --Some do, sometimes I play out my fears. Others feel totally random.
    2) Where do your dreams take place? --Often nowhere I've been before.
    3) Are the people in your dreams familiar or total strangers? --A mixture, though often the ones I remember involve at least some familiar faces.
    4) Do you dream in black and white or color? --Always colour.
    5) Do you ever have reoccurring dreams? --Yes. I used to have the falling one a lot, but not so much these days.
    6) Do you avoid sleeping whenever possible? --I tend to avoid going to sleep. Once I'm in bed I'm more than happy to stay there ;)

I get deja vu a lot.

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

1) Hardly ever.
    2) All over!
    3) Usually familiar.
    4) Always color.
    5) Never the exact same, but often similar.
    6) Oh god no! I enjoy my dreams. Even the bad ones entertain me once I've woken up.

e

20. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Usually my dreams make sense, then end in the middle. Its not funny, I never get to think up the end of the story;). I used to have this dream that I got every year or so, but It hasn't come back lately. I never avoide sleeping, cuase that will just make me more tired!

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I like when my dreams don't make sense...it gives me more to think about when i wake up. I have a lot of dreams in one sitting:) ....maybe one out of the bunch makes sense.

Bless

22. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

1. Most of the time.
    2. Different places.
    3. Some people I know, some people I've seen but don't know. For example, last night's dream included me going to dinner with some friends, and some of us were playing No-Limit Texas Hold 'Em. One player (female, but I can't remember who she was now... some celebrity) tried to stack the deck while the dealer was away from the table, but the dealer shuffled the cards and it didn't work. Also there was Christina Applegate... we were about to leave together when the damn phone rang in RL and woke me up. :(
    4. Color.
    5. Sometimes.
    6. Not at all.
    7. I wish.

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

1. Sometimes my dreams make sense. Sometimes it's a random jumble.
    2. My dreams can take place anywhere; real-life places I've been, or places I've never seen.
    3. The people are typically people I have known or met, sometimes strangers (who in my dreams are people I know).
    4. Not sure if I dream in color or not... maybe, sepia? :p
    5. Yes, I have recurring dreams.
    6. Yes. I do try to avoid sleeping. Not napping, but I tend to have really really bad dreams. So I do hate going to sleep. And I don't normally sleep more than 2-3 hours continuously at a time.

24. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

My dreams can make sense, and they can also not make sense.

For instance, the other night, I dreamed I was at a party, and this girl came up to me, and pulled me upstairs, and into a bedroom, and into bed...:)

All in vivid detail! Very realistic. There was nothing that didn't make sense in the dream.

25. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

"Yeah, in your dreams.." ;)