'DOA' 30" Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by miniConvert, Jun 1, 2006.

1. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I finally got around to calling Apple about the fact that the buttons on our 30" ACD don't work. Basically the power button only works sometimes, and the brightness controls have never worked at all.

They've classed it as DOA and now I guess I have to wait for them to ring me and arrange collection. Such a pain! Especially given that the LCD panel itself is flawless!

Gutted.

So, out of a Mac mini, a 23" ACD and a 30" ACD, both the Mac mini and 30" ACD have been DOA and needed replacement. Don't hate me, but in all the years of buying many, many Dell products not a single one has been DOA.

I'm extremely unimpressed.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Why not just talk to iGary?

I think he one ups anyones post about being unimpressed with apple.

3. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Heh, at this rate we're going to have plenty in common :(

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Hey, I had to burn up two 30" displays on my desk before I got a good copy. :rolleyes: Took me two PM's to get a good one, two PB's to get one that wasn't dented...not to mention the two ACD's with hair in them. :rolleyes:

Unimpressed is right - although the equipment I have now is finally *knocks wood* flawless.

5. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Some people seem to get streaks of very bad luck...

(crosses all fingers & toes and prays to the glowing Apple logo on the back of my PowerBook that I never get this bad luck)

6. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

Exactly! But make mine a MacBook Pro instead

7. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

So don't buy.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Is it too much to ask for things that work like they're supposed to?

9. gamer2k macrumors newbie

That's horrible. For the price and expected build quality of such a display, I'd be quite furious myself.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

He already did. :rolleyes:

11. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Exactly. I've paid for two laptops in a row now and have had them both have problems that are "within acceptable range" when they really shouldn't be.

Mix a crazy HD, a lid that doesn't sit right (or latch 99% of the time), and a scratch on the back from day one and basically multiply it by 2. That's my luck right there. I always just get the runaround when I bring it in, though. I'm ordering off Amazon next time -- I never get anything bad off of there.

12. Subiklim macrumors 6502

I think this is more along the lines of people being too picky (not in the OP's case) rather than being unlucky.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

How so?

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yup iGary should be happy he has a PowerMac to look at, forget it its working for not!:rolleyes:

15. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Are you talking to me?

That's spoken like a true person who's parents buy them everything and have no concept of money. I paid 1,500 dollars for this computer, it should be flawless.

16. gamer2k macrumors newbie

I feel similarly. If you paid a large sum of money for what's to be a high-quality instrument... I'd expect it to arrive in nothing less than immaculate condition.

17. skibob1027 macrumors member

Agreed. This is the reason why a lot of people (myself included) are switching to Macs, because there is an understanding out there that Apple hardware words better than a lot of other companies'. When you work your butt off for the $2,000 to buy an iMac or Macbook Pro, or even if it's $600 for a Mac mini, you should be able to buy in good conscience, not worrying about whether or not you'll get a working version of what you payed for.

I sure hope my iMac shows up alright!