Dobson: Thompson must express faith

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Maybe I'm just tired, but this pissed me off on several levels:

CNN

Who the hell died and made Dobson kingmaker? And why in God's name (pun intended) does the media continue to play into the buildup of Dobson as a political kingmaker?

The sheer arrogance of this is appalling. Read this again:

Could they possibly be any more condescending?

The very idea that anybody who's going to run for the Republicans has to pass through the religiious-cuckoo filter just galls me. Not to mention that apparently Dobson's idea of a good candidate is Newt Gingrich.

Man, I wish there were some way to prevent crazy people from influencing elections. :mad:

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I don't think James Dobson is at all endorsing Newt Gingrich's past behaviors but I do think that Dobson has a point. I don't see God principal following leaders but I do think that Gingrich would do a better job than either of the Clintons (William or Hillary). Plus I respect James Dobson as a great leader in Jesus Christ who is bold and capable of recognizing who is the best is to choose from with the knowledge that he has as someone who is educated and keeps himself up to date in today's fast-paced world that is becoming more and more demoralized and immoral.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Didn't Jesus specifically speak out against people like Dobson?

5. Queso macrumors G4

Religion has no place in Government. I don't vote for anyone who overly expresses their faith. I think it shows either they are incapable of the lateral thinking I want our leaders to have, or they are only interested in playing to special interest groups to catch votes. Tony Bliar and his talk of "values change" whilst the UK falls apart and thousands die in the Middle East is a great example why.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Ah, the good old Us of A with it's "separation of Church and State":confused:

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't have a problem with someone who speaks of his beliefs, provided he lives by them as well. As mentioned, it's when they talk a good game, then do the exact opposite. For anyone who think Bush is as religious as he claims to be, go read up on his history as to why he wears a Bible on his sleeve, and go read David Kuos book to see what they really think about those of faith. Those true of faith. Not those who pretend to be religious just to justify their feelings.

If you think Dobson is any different, I have a bridge to sell you.

8. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

So how is he supposed to prove he's a Christian? Slaughter a homosexual?

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Um, actually that would make him one of those fake ones I was talking about. ;)

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The faster he marginalizes Dobson and the religious right, then better in my opinion. I'm tired of conservatives being defined by how Christian they supposedly are.

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I'm afraid that no one know what he was talking about...

12. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

They worship moneychangers I suppose.

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Another book that's just out that I'm anxious to read is American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War On America.

But you know, one wishes there were almost some sort of potent anti-fundamentalist backlash in this country. We went on a witch hunt over largely imaginary Communists in the 1950s, yet here we are with genuine fifth columnists today, and we're scared to do anything about it.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

That's funny. It's only the democrats that keep talking about taking more of my money. Don't talk to me about who really worships money.

16. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Uh... that's why I like Ralph Nader the best. Neither Dem or Republicans are untainted in this respect.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And you think you make all your money by yourself. That's the most disingenuous thing you've ever posted. Tell me swarmlord, what work is it that you actually physically do to earn your investment income?

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You're kidding, right? Of course the answer can't be simple because I have a widely diverse portfolio, but it boils down to investing money in people so that they can make products that everyone either wants or needs. In exchange for my investment, they pay me either interest or dividends based on the profits they obtain from the goods after they've paid themselves, their taxes and all the costs of production.

If it wasn't for investment and the time value of money, very few people could purchase a house, a car or buy much of anything that cost more than a paycheck or two. You think that money should be loaned out for free?

19. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Nope, it's about social equality which is ethically more important than anyone's individual portfolio. Personal usury isn't my style.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

So suddenly former Senator Fred Thompson is considering running......and the pollsters have started including him on their lists of potential candidates, interesting indeed......some recent polls;

USA Today/Gallup Poll. March 23-25, 2007. shows him 3rd with 12% (ahead of Newt and Mitt)

FOX News/Opinion Dynamics Poll. March 27-28, 2007 also shows him currently polling 3rd with 9% (again ahead of Newt and Mitt)

Zogby America Poll. March 22-26, 2007 has him tied with Mitt for 3rd with 9%

21. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Get real. Bush is spending more money than the Dems ever dreamed of. Where do you think that money is going to come from?

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nope- I never said that. However- after you recoup your initial investment and make money off it for x amount of years, you continue to make money off that investment for just about as long as you live, given that the companies invested in don't tank, right? After you've made your money back many times over and continue to make more indefinitely, who's really making the money for you at that point? Who's really working to make that money then? And why should that income not be taxed any more than any other? And should companies be more concerned about rewarding their shareholders or their employees, who actually do the work that pays the shareholders back? I can tell you where many companies place their priorities now, and guess what? It's not in the employees. How is that good for shareholders or employees in the long run?

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Just like a loan that's eventually paid off, companies have the option to buy back their shares if they want. Employees also have the opportunity to purchase shares in companies they work for. There are many instances of employee owned companies. Look into SAIC just for one example.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I understand all that. But you answered almost none of my questions. Try to answer more please.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

As long as it isn't coming from their pockets right now, it seems to be ok. Fiscal responsibility and manageable debt be damned. Not even speaking of our kids, but anyone who's still going to be a tax payer in the next couple of years. That's why it'll be all those nasty Dems fault for raising taxes slightly on the upper class to pay off the debt, or at least manage it, no matter who racked it up. :rolleyes: Nor what they were doing with that money. Looking at how big the national debt got under Reagan while Clinton had a budget surplus, not to mention Bush with the Republicans in Congress, I'd rather go with whoever is more fiscally responsible. If it's the Dems, it's the Dems. If they do the same things, I will go back to complaining.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't mind paying taxes, as long as the actually go to something. ;)