Dock and Freezing Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mbopy22, Jan 6, 2006.

1. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Hi

I've had some crashes and freezing problems on my iBook G4 1.33Ghz 40GHD 512Mram

The problem normally happens after or while I'm downloading something (software updates or plain software) with my dial up conection...

The Dock freezes & the widgets tend to be sloooooooow or never launched or it takes them several I mean several minutes to work (I only have 7 widgets that I use, and 4 of them are worldclock) :(

Anywhay I've searched the forums and found several answers about similar issues that recommend to delete from user preferences the following;
    com.apple.dock.plist

What I want to know is what are the effects, and what do I need to do afterwards...? a Restart will be fine and enough? :confused:

BTW when it crashes everything freezes... internet conection works, itunes play but I can't get to shut down or restart the computer without the powersource button... :mad: Ohh and the other day I got a Panic automatic shutdown... WTF is that??? :mad:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Deleting the preference file results in a new default version being created next time it's needed (next time the process or app starts). If you don't want to delete it, then simply move it to a different folder (Desktop might be good), restart and see how it goes. If you're still having problems but would like your old settings back, then put it back where you found it, replacing the new/default file, and restart. :)

Tell us how it all goes.

3. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Ok

I'll delete it and see what happens after a restart...

I assume this is also aplicable to com.apple.dashboard.plist?

Another question, I never leave my computer on unless I'm going to use it, is ti recomendable to always log off (I'm the only user) and then shut down or I can just shut down directly? :eek:

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

It's fine to just shutdown your iBook, there's no need to log out first. In fact you can just shut the lid and leave it in sleep mode, there's no reason to turn it off (unless you're running on battery power).

As for the freezing/crashing problems, the only help I can offer is with regards to resetting the dock when it freezes up. Just go into Terminal and type "killall Dock", your dock will disappear for a moment and reappear working perfectly.

Hope this helps! ;)

5. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Thanks.. the reason I turn off my computer is causez I only used during night.. and I don't want to leave it outside its case in my house, cause I'm not there during the day and I DO NOT want anybody to touch it :p

About ressetting the dock, could you please explain it step by step, how do I get to terminal and stuff? Thanks...

Sorry I'm just a 2 months old switcher.. :D

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Terminal is an app in the Utilities folder which resides in the Applications folder. Maybe try it before deleting preference files, but I'm not sure how much it'll help in the long term. It sounds like a corrupt preference file so simply removing the PLIST files from the Preferences folder should suffice. The same methods and results apply to the other PLIST files in there such as com.apple.dashboard.plist so it might be worthwhile removing this too. :)

Deleting preferences is an excellent first step in troubleshooting a problem. I guess it's the equivalent of reinstalling an app on Windows except without the hassle or time loss and with the safety of the knowledge you can put it back to how it was afterwards if you keep the file. :)

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

That's ok, I know the feeling of being a switcher! ;)

Fair enough about not wanting to leave your lappy exposed to others who may not treat it with the proper respect!

As for unfreezing the dock: Go into your Application folder and look for the "utility" folder. Within it is a program named Terminal (looks kinda like the dos prompt screen in windows). Then all you have to do is type killall Dock and hit return. That should have the desired effect.

Also, if you can get your hands on anymore RAM, then that could possibly help also. ;)

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

You beat me to it mad jew!

I would also recommend repairing permissions, this can get rid of funny little problems. You do this by again getting into the utilities folder and opening Disk Utility. You can repair permissions from there.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, I've been telling you how to delete preferences but if it's a system-wide problem then PLIST files may not necessarily be the problem. Open Activity Monitor (in Utilities with Terminal) and see if there's a process using up a lot of your resources when these freezes happen. Make sure you set the pull down menu at the top of Activity Monitor to All Processes.

Now, what is plugged into this machine? What sort of third party apps do yuo have? Do you run any theme changing apps? Was there something you did that made this suddenly start acting up? Also, does the machine make any strange noises such as clicking or ticking (no, I don't think it's a bomb)?

10. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

max & mad THANKS !! a L O T!!

I'll try your proposals...

I've done the disk and permissions repair... but it seems to be a short term solution...

BTW again what is that Panic Auto Shut Down thing??? it came out of nowhere the other day...

And YES i'm saving mone to get 1gb more of ram for a total of 1.5ram :D :eek: (feel the POWER of the DARK SIDE Anakin...)

Sorry max I know you wrote it twice but just to be shure... that kill Dock is with a space as you wrote it right? or is killDock? :confused:

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Type it as killall Dock and it should close then open the Dock for you. :)

It sounds like a kernel panic. They happen for all sorts of reasons.

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

It's with a space. ;) And as MJ asked, do you have anything running in the background to alter settings? Because I have always found this to cause glitches.

With 1.5 GB, it should fly!

PS You're too quick for me MJ, I need to type faster ;)

13. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Sorry WHAT?? could you explain that again? like if I'm a 4.5 years old? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The only thing pluged is the AC adapter and the phone line cable! that is it oohh and sometimes mi MS wireless mouse (yes is a Microsoft mouse, sorry the apple has one click only and it cost the twice the price I paid)
    I don't have theme changing, I did not do anything unusual, I was just surfing the net, downloading a picture and chatting in adium.. and of course using itunes..
    NO strange noises, at all.. NO bomb.. LOL

On third party apps I only have VLC, Adium, Speed Download 3 and jmmmm ohhh Aqcuisition (spelling??) but the last one is not running yet I haven't bought the license yet.. lol

14. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

YES it was Kernel message for shut down!! Thanks I'll read it later, I'm taking of the office now... I'll try your suggestions this afternoon and let you know!!

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, sorry for not being clear. Activity Monitor is an app that's similar to Task Manager in Windows. It simply shows the running processes and their resource usage so it's a good place to start working out if it's a certain process (usually an app) that's bringing the system down.

With kernel panics (and most similar problems), I usually give it a once off ignore before taking action so if you've only got this kernel panic once, then I wouldn't worry about it. Irrespective, I think the freezing and sluggish behaviour could be attributed to either the mouse or Acquisition however since Acquisition isn't running, maybe it's the mouse. Try using an alternative for a while to see if problems persist.

If you're still having troubles, then I'd make a new account from System Preferences (in the Apple Menu) and see if the problems carry over. 512MB of RAM is enough to not see problems like that so although 1.5GB will speed things up, I doubt it'd fix this problem. :)

16. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Hello me again

I did the kill Dock thing and my dock dissapered and appered again..:p

I tried to delete the com.apple.dashboar.plist but I couldn't find it in preferences? I tried with spotlight and it finds it but it requests me a folder or app to open it? WTF is that?

Ohh and BTW the freezing and the Panic occurred withouth the mouse, and the only apps running were safari, adium, itunes... :confused:

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Once you've found something from the Spotlight menu at the top, click on Show All to get a window up that you can then delete files from.

More importantly, I recommend you start up a new account to see if the problems carry over. :)

18. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

I just deleted the dashboard .plist and I'll create another account...

Thanks Happy Weekend... :D

19. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

eventhough I deleted both .plist (dashboard and dock) the Trash won't empty!!! I give it empty trash and the won't go... ??? :confused:

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You should be allowed to delete the PLIST files. Is there something else in there that may be preventing the Trash form emptying? It doesn't really matter, the important part is that they're no longer in their respective folders so whether or not these preference files are deleted is inconsequential.

Good luck with it all, hopefully we won't need a reinstall. :)