Dock and spanning with external monitor...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macnvrbck, Feb 12, 2006.

1. macnvrbck macrumors regular

I have my 12' Powerbook spanned with my 20 inch widescreen monitor.

Any way to get the dock on the external monitor other than screen mirroring? The dock on always on the powerbooks monitor unless I put it on the 'right' and it shows on the external. I want it at the bottom of the external.

Any help?

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

The dock will always be on the same screen as the menu bar, in System Preferences you can set the other screen as the main screen and it will transfer over.

3. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Not quite true. If the secondary monitor is arranged underneath the main screen then the dock will be placed at the bottom of the second screen.

Here is what macnvrbck is experiencing. I hope to find a solution of this as well.

Attached Files:

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Well yeah if you place the screen under it then OS X sees it as one long screen and places the dock at the bottom, its not OS X's fault that you don't actually have the screen under the other. And if that's what macnvrbck is experiencing then all they have to do is change the screen layout in the preferences.

5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

But I do place physically place the PB underneath the monitor. I would like it if I could choose which screen the dock was placed on. Its aggravating when I have to either switch screens to get to the dock, or arrange the screens so that the PB is off to the side when physically it is not.

6. macnvrbck thread starter macrumors regular

Where under system preferences can I change this, menu bar and dock still remain on the powerbook screen. Thanks everyone for your help.

7. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

In Sys Prefs go to Displays, and then click on Arrangement. Then just drag the menu bar from the PB screen to the external in the little diagram.

::20ROGERSC::