Dock.app

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SolidSnake, Dec 13, 2006.

1. SolidSnake macrumors regular

Would somebody be so kind to send me the Dock.app file because i've accidentally overwritten mines and now i can get my dock back to it's original state. I really need it and would appreciate it so much. Thanks!

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i think whether you can get your dock back to its original state or not depend on the preference file, not the Dock.app

i dont even know where you can find dock.app :p

3. SolidSnake thread starter macrumors regular

well i need help because Transparant Dock messed up my dock and now i cannot restore it back to it's original state.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

well start off by deleting all the pref files so go into your home library and the system library and delete all things that mention the dock. Then see if that helps. You may have to kill the dock process for it to re-read it. If that does not work I am willing to send you the file. Its for tiger right?

5. SolidSnake thread starter macrumors regular

yes can you send it it's not going very well.. :mad:

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

where's dock.app? (oh, haha, i found it)

i dont think replacing the dock.app would do anything... as i dont think dock.app was modified by any theme modification program. it's most likely the preference file.

try ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist (that's the one in your user directory, not the root directory)

move (not copy) that file to desktop, and logout and log back in to see if it's fixed... as it shold

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

First delete/uninstall any dock modification apps you have installed.

Then, drag the file "com.apple.dock.plist" in your user's library folder (Macintosh HD > Users > UserName > library > preferences) to your desktop and restart your computer.

If everything looks OK after the restart (your dock will be set back to the default) you can delete the preference file on your desktop.

That should fix everything.

EDIT: Beaten :(

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

PM me your email...

9. SolidSnake thread starter macrumors regular

The dock reset but the background still hasn't changed back. Hopefully when train sends me the file it will return back.

Attached Files:

• Dock.jpg
      Dock.jpg
      File size:
      83.6 KB
      Views:
  10. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

would you like to give a little detail of how you reset the dock.. did you do it by delete the preference file or what

also the background of dock or background of desktop

and did you delete your application that modified the dock in the beginning?

11. SolidSnake thread starter macrumors regular

the background to the dock. it is still transparent when i reset the dock through the application. I've tried doing it many times, restarts, everything.

12. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

what application is that?

what's everything?

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So did the dock.app file i sent you fix the problems?

14. SolidSnake thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everybody for the help, turns out when i was reseting my dock in TransparantDock, my dock wasn't reseting because i also had Cleardock running so it seemed l iike no changes were taking place. Sadly i had to find that out the hard way by installing OS X over again. Atleast it won't happen again. :)

15. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

lol

so you didn't take the advice that you should uninstall all your theme modifiers...