Dock application on my dock!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wako, Oct 31, 2005.

1. wako macrumors 65816

Alright, for some reason after installing OnyX and after it ran its stuff, it rebooted and now I have a dock App on my dock. It has the little arrow thing pointing at it.

The application is the dock. When I force quit it (holding down my mouse button and selecting force quit) the dock quits out and then comes back up again but with the little dock app still there.

Interestingly enough too, my Dock apparently reverted itself back a few weeks ago's setting. It has icons which I had deleted a week or two back.

Anyone have an idea how I get it to hide again? Having a 12'' PowerBook, with that extra icon I dont need is not too pleasant. Thanks :)

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Onyx is basically a really good script- a fantastic set of scripts, am in awe of cleverness of those that programmed Onyx, MacSweeper, and the like. I have no idea what setting would cause the Dock to reset

To remove the icon from the doc, if it is not active just grab it and pull it out of the doc (or Control Click- select Remove from Dock).

3. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

thats the problem... the dock is active because the dock is running... it wont come off, it wont hide or anything

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Check this

Onyx --> Appearance ->Doc>Show Hidden files and folders?

Is it unchecked?

5. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah it is unchecked... dammit

when I create another account though, ironically the little icon is gone on the other accounts. It only happens to my main account.

Could I possibly just delete my old account (the screwed up one) and transfer all my files to the other one without screwing up the whole system? (figure the main account created when the computer was first made is like the root account like in Linux)

6. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

What about deleting Onyx pref files and maybe the whole app, and then reinstalling it if you need to?

::20ROGERSC::

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

^^ did that work?

I don't know what to tell 'ya man. If you can't get it erased, delete that account and transfer all your information into another account. :eek:

8. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

can you tell me where i can find the OnyX profile? i was looking for it but couldnt find it...

Im new to mac btw...

9. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

interesting...

I went ahead and updated to 10.4.3 and it somehow fixed itself...

I resetted the the dock settings countless times in OnyX and it always came back being the same. After 10.4.3 was done updating, it rebooted and now its gone...

It reminds me of that mac video parody where the guy says, "If the mac is willing to work with you, all the better"

10. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

If that happens again I say just delete your preferences. That will more than likely work.

11. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

You guys are all telling me to delete preferences and what not. However, WHERE IS IT?

Im new to macs :(

12. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

If you go to: Macintosh HD (or the Hard Drive icon on your desktop) click on the House in the left pane. Then double click on Library and delete the folder Preferences (drag it to the trash or click on it and press COMMAND+DELETE).

13. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

ah, ok, thanks :)

Ill try that next time, hopefully it doesnt happen again though :)

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and if you want to delete a specific app's preferences,

do a search for that app... the .plst file is the preferences file