Dock connection vs. top connection

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mflat5, Oct 19, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm still semi-grumbling that Apple decided to remove the top connection port in favor of everything going through the dock connector (like PalmPilots and other handhelds).

One of the main features I liked about using two ports was that you could use an accessory on top AND be able to charge or run off the plug's electricity at the same time w/out battery drain. You didn't have to worry about the battery as much if you were home or near a plug.

Now you must swap out (and run the battery down), or have the accessories have a pass-through power supply (which is mostly unlikely since accessories tend to be small to match the small-ness of the device).

Small issue perhaps.. but with the known battery issue around the iPod re: non-swappable, prone to "wearing out", etc. it could cost the end-user more money for battery replacements... And with video, it makes battery drain even more of an issue...
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2005
    I agree. I really don't understand why Apple removed the top "remote connector." Was it that much of an eyesore?
  3. macrumors member

Oct 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Maybe they couldn't fit it on the chip and still make the thing so thin. Anyways it was a stupid decision.