dock disappears... and never comes back

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Itstheradman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Itstheradman macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2007
    Hi guys,

Since upgrading to 10.4.9, I have had two issues: one is that firefox crashes/ freezes (don't know if it's related to the update, but I never had that issue) and the second, for me more major, is that the dock disappears/freezes and i cannot make it come back. Granted I keep it in "hide" mode, but even if I try hovering over it, changing the settings, everything I can think of... it never comes back. This doesn't happen every day, but more often than I would like.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I don't know about Firefox because I don't use it, but have you restarted many times since the update? Also, if you create a new test account in System Preferences, do the problems carry over? :)
  3. Itstheradman thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2007
    I've restarted it a few times after the update mainly to have the dock functioning again. there doesn't appear to be a problem when trying a different acct, but this isn't a problem that occurs all the time... more sporadic
  4. iPhil macrumors 68040

Ever tried to "kill" the dock via force quit menu cmd/option/esc @ the same time ?? :confused: :confused:
  5. nichos macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I don't know if it's firefox related, but try using safari or camino and see if it happens. Or, drag your firefox profile out to the desktop and use firefox, see if that cures it. I've never heard of firefox messing things up like this, but i guess it's possible.
  6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    If possible, try running form the new account for a little while to see if it ever does start happening. If that's not easy (because you've got too much stuff in your original account that you need), then run with Activity Monitor open to show All Processes. Next time it freezes, check whether there's anything using up a lot of resources or anything that is hanging (red instead of black). :)
  7. Itstheradman thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2007
    I'm going to try what you guys suggested. thanks for the help!
  8. arge27 macrumors newbie

Feb 18, 2008
    same, you?

I've got what seems like the exact same error going on...

Firefox crashes/freezes and the dock disappears. This has just started in the last 2 wks or so for 10.5.2 running on my machine. will try the above suggestions, see how it works out.
  9. eoren1 macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2007
    I had this happen to me two weeks ago and found a solution on the Apple discussion board. Seems like a large and/or corrupt JPG file in the documents folder can cause this behavior. Mine occurred when I dragged a jpg from the desktop to the documents section of the dock. Lost the dock completely until I deleted that file and then it magically came back.
  10. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    After your dock disappears, go open up the Console application located in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder. Note what the latest error message is in the log in Console and post it here.
  11. spork183 macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2006
    Dock disappears... and never comes back

Must make it hell to find the boat...