dock dividers Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SR 7, Jul 26, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

are there any out there for OS X Lion? my old ones dont work with Lion apparently.

2. macrumors 6502

Mine work fine, I used a terminal command I found on this forum, try searching for it.

3. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

any fix for this?
    I cannot find a terminal command and they are now big "NO" signs...circle with diagonal line.

4. macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I would really like the code for this too! Miss my elegant dock dividers!

5. macrumors newbie

I would love to know the answer to this question also. I am afraid of the Terminal, though. LOL.

6. macrumors 68040

chrf097

If you upgrade, I think it messes up, but the method to get them is exactly the same as Snow Leopard. Open the terminal and enter the following commands.

For left side (Application side):
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps -array-add '{tile-data={}; tile-type="spacer-tile";}'
    For right side (Folder/Trash side):
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{tile-data={}; tile-type="spacer-tile";}'

Every time you enter it a new spacer is added. They won't show up until you reset the dock. Once you've done the command as many times as you want, type:
    Code:
    killall Dock
    and the dock will reset. If you need to add more then just do the commands again. To take them out, drag them out like applications.

7. macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I did some googling and this was all I could find. Not exactly what I had before, but arguably better! I think this is the way to go in Lion.

8. macrumors newbie

!!!Caution!!!

It may just be me, but I ran this and lost control of finder and many functions on my computer. The dock quite and did not restart and would not even after rebooting my computer. I thought I was going to have to re-install os x but managed to find another terminal command that fixed the problem.

I think this may be a problem only with os x 10.8.2 since that's what I'm running. It could also be because I mistakenly pasted the first command and then the killall dock command, skipping the second.

Idk anyways if anyone has a similar problem run the code below in terminal. To do this you may need to open terminal with spotlight using the shortcut command+space and typing in terminal then hitting "enter".

Code:
    killall -KILL Dock
    Then restart your computer after the screen turns grey and it should be working just fine when you log back in. I hope this helps someone!

P.S. I found the code by searching "killall dock mountain lion" in google and finding this link: http://bencollier.net/2012/08/mountain-lion-dock-stops-showing-active-apps/