Dock, Expose, Dashboard and spotlight freeze up on my Macbook and it won't shut down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by greenparty, Feb 21, 2007.

1. greenparty macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007

I purchased a macbook 1 month ago with 1gb of RAM and 2ghz Core 2 Duo. It's my first Mac but recently it's started acting funny al of a sudden for no apparent reason.

I'm usually running something no more strenous than firefox, msn and itunes and I go to press f9 to open expose and get no response.
    I then go down to open the Dock (it's set to hide) and it doesn't show up.
    I try to use spotlight and nothing happens. When I press f12 dashboard doesn't open.
    It's weird because all the function buttons work except f9, f10, f11 & f12.
    I then try to shut it down and press the power button and select shut down and it closes all the windows and then I get to the stage where all that appears is the desktop background and then nothing happens.
    It doesn't shut down. I can move the cursor around but nothing happens so I have to take the battery out and turn it back on.
    Then it seems to be fine once i turn it back on.
    This has happened 4 times all in the past week and a half.
    I've tried repairing disk utilities and verifying disk image after it happened the third time two days ago but it happened again today.

I'm at a loss as to what has caused it. I'm not the most experienced with macs as it is my first one so if anyone has any advice no matter how basic it would be a great help.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Repair Permissions (in Disk Utility) and trash the dock preferences (Library>Preferences>

That help anything?
  3. greenparty thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007
    I've done that and I'm not sure yet but it hasn't happened again. But I repaired the disk utilities a while ago and it happened again.

Should I get disk warrior or would that help?
  4. Mountain/\Ash macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I to get this issue a few times a week. It also "stalls" task manager so you can not swap between running Apps.

I'm using a Logitech mouse with LCC - I think this may have something to do with it (I have set some of the additional buttons to do expose tasks).