Dock Help (Kinda Urgent)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Ensign Paris, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Ok, so I got bored and after watching 'The Power of X' decided to see how many files I could add to the dock. So I wrote an AppleScript that added new folders to the dock, and I think there is now 600+ in there.

Any idea how to get them all out at once?

Ensign

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You can go in and edit the Dock plist for your user. I would go in and remove just about everything, and then readd the ones you want to keep.

Go to your ~/Library/Preferences and open up com.apple.dock.plist in TextEdit. You'll be able to see each dock item between the <dict> tags.

Good luck!

PS. Might be a good idea to back it up first. ;)

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Delete it.

You can also just delete the Dock.plist file from your preferences folder in your Library folder. (I'm not 100% sure thats the location--I'm at work) Its just like any other preference file and will be regenerated. You will lose dock preferences doing this, but its better than taking the folders out one at a time.

Matthew

4. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

yeah the dock plist should work (it's kinda cool to mess around the order of things in your dock by simply cutting and pasting)

i need to learn to write applescripts. i can't believe i still haven't. does anyone know of online helps?

5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

woah what does it look like? screenshot screenshot!