Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dustspec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Melbourne
Hello More Knowledgable ones,

Have had my MacBook for about a month and have found that once in a while (has happened maybe 3 times in 1 month) the dock hides but then won't show. I can go into preferences via top toolbar and disable the hide function and dock appears. But when I then re-enable the autohide it still won't show when I put mouse over it? Also, if I log off then on problem is fixed. Any ideas. This is not debilitating but annoying. Thanks -

dustspec

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Hello More Knowledgable ones,

Have had my MacBook for about a month and have found that once in a while (has happened maybe 3 times in 1 month) the dock hides but then won't show. I can go into preferences via top toolbar and disable the hide function and dock appears. But when I then re-enable the autohide it still won't show when I put mouse over it? Also, if I log off then on problem is fixed. Any ideas. This is not debilitating but annoying. Thanks -

dustspec

You do know you have to move the cursor off the bottom of the screen for it to pop up. Not just hover where the dock will be when it does pop up?

Im sure you do but sometimes the simplest of things are overlooked. :) If it is a genuine problem Im not sure what to do. You could try trashing the dock preference file. Im not sure what its called though. Im sure someone else will tell you.

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
I've had this problem before too! When it happens I just ignore it and use the Mac (without the dock) and the problem tends to go away after a few minutes. Switching between applications seems to do the trick.

On my Powerbook the dock appears as soon as the mouse touches the bottom of the screen… no need to move it off the bottom as such.

b e n

dustspec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Melbourne
You do know you have to move the cursor off the bottom of the screen for it to pop up. Not just hover where the dock will be when it does pop up?

My dock usually pops up when I move cusor over. Just tried it now. I don't need to move it off for the dock to appear. I have read about deleting the dock pref file and might try that if problem continues.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
My dock usually pops up when I move cusor over. Just tried it now. I don't need to move it off for the dock to appear. I have read about deleting the dock pref file and might try that if problem continues.

When I said drag it off the bottom. I meant 'to the bottom' sorry. You obviously cant drag it off the screen. Basically when the top of the cursor hits the bottom of the screen it should pop up. However on further reading these posts it doesnt sound like thats the issue.

The dock preference file is called 'com.apple.dock.plist'. If you spotlight it then trash it maybe that will clear the problem.

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
This has occured to to me (less than 10 times in 2 years), and all I did was turn off hiding, then back on, and that fixed it. However, it seems as though this may be happening more often to you. Is there anything about this on apple's support pages?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Try pressing the Dock's show/hide key combination: option+command+D and see if that brings it up and hides it again. If it doesn't then it sounds like there is something amiss, file-wise, especially if it's a recurring problem.

Edit: er, yeah, like wozzlewoozle said :)

dustspec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Melbourne
Thanks everyone. I deleted the dock pref file and started again. I won't post unless the problem re-appears. ciao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.