Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
MacBook and I like to keep it hidden, on the right side of the screen. If I for some reason need it for a longer time, I just use cmd+alt+D.

Cosmo modo

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2005
Hidden and minor magnification as well on my MacBook Pro.
Screen is too small for the dock to be visible all the time i think.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
for my ibook, i keep hiding off with magnification at 2/3 to the right, and held option button down to make the icon size to 36x36. (i used view options in finder and compared) i don't have much icons as i have tigerlaunch which hides my games, and other less needed programs that i still needed access to. (the reason why i don't have any game icons in my dock is because i go to school with it.)

dustspec

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
Melbourne
Dock hides then won't show!

Hello all,

Have had my MacBook for about a month and have found that once in a while (has happened maybe 3 times in 1 month) the dock hides but then won't show. I can go into preferences via top toolbar and disable the hide function and dock appears. Also, if I log off then on problem is fixed. Any ideas. This is not debilitating but annoying. Thanks -

dustspec

eluk

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2006
East London, UK
Hello all,

Have had my MacBook for about a month and have found that once in a while (has happened maybe 3 times in 1 month) the dock hides but then won't show. I can go into preferences via top toolbar and disable the hide function and dock appears. Also, if I log off then on problem is fixed. Any ideas. This is not debilitating but annoying. Thanks -

dustspec

Not had this problem.
Command+Alt+D will hide/unhide the Dock.

shellbryson

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2006
Edinburgh
On, but I mount it on the left side of the screen rather than at the bottom. My other half has it on the RIGHT side, which to me seems a little crazy because it hides the mounted drive icons. Some people are just weird :)

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Hiding = on,
magification = off,
icon size = tiniest possible,
location = bottom,
underwear = boxers.

Although I do have a pair of "Last Resort" briefs that I use as a warning shot for Laundry day.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
underwear = boxers.

Although I do have a pair of "Last Resort" briefs that I use as a warning shot for Laundry day.

I have those too, last resort boxers that are a little too snug for me, if you catch my drift. If I go to long without doing laundry, I am stuck wobbling around all day :eek: .

Oh, and my dock is kept hidden and slightly magnified. But who cares about that ?

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I have those too, last resort boxers that are a little too snug for me, if you catch my drift. If I go to long without doing laundry, I am stuck wobbling around all day :eek: .

Oh, and my dock is kept hidden and slightly magnified. But who cares about that ?

Hidden and slightly to the left.

My dock is shown, on the bottom, magnification on, with very small icons.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
i don't hide it. considering i'm always editing images, that doesn't make much sense, but animation of small parts of the OS (i.e. not expose or dashboard, as that's everything) just irks me out of my mind...
I should probably start looking for a 2nd display. If Leopard and iLife '07 aren't all that great, I may put my $150 in combined rebates from apple and Pentax that I got this week/ will be coming next week towards a Dell 17 or 19 inch...

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
The only time I disable my dock is when it overlaps with an application (yahoo messenger emoticons, to be specific). The rest of the time I enjoy scrolling along and watching the icons change size over and over again. :rolleyes:

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK
On my MBP it's hidden, medium magnification and on the right hand side for me, while on the 20" iMac with the extra screen space I prefer it not hidden and on the bottom with medium magnification.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
Mine is hidden, and small. The only icons I keep there are Finder, Quicksilver, Documents and Trash.

My girlfriend has hers set to magnify by a huge amount, it's horrible trying to use it.

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
I have mine hidden. On the 12" monitor the extra space is of course great. However, even when attached to my 20" monitor I have it hidden. It's just cleaner.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2006
can we hide the task bar ?

if you mean the menubar, which is the white bar at the top of the screen in Mac OS X, then no, you cannot hide it using a feature of OS X. there are programs (can't think of any off the top of my head, though) that will hide it.

if you mean the taskbar in Windows, which is the blue bar at the bottom of the screen in Windows XP, then yes, you can hide it by checking "Hide the Taskbar" in Control Panel > Start Menu (i think this is the correct path - i haven't used WinXP in a while).

since i started this thread, i suppose i'll provide an update: i've kept my dock hidden and i like it. it's very easy to switch programs using alt+tab and i use Quicksilver to open applications so i rarely use the dock anymore.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Hiding off. Popping up and down would be overly distracting, and I often have 6-9 apps open at once and constantly switch between them. Magnification off.

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
Hidden, Magnification on but not overly so. I like it. I like the clean real estate on my desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.