Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Seems like my Lion Dock indicators are still there, as are the ML ones.
Anyone a solution?

2jc7abo.png

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Yes I did. On OFF both disappear, when ON both appear.
Furthermore, the Dock separator is Lion as is the Trash can.

I seem to be stuck with a very messy update. Can I redownload ML from the App Store and reinstall?

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I sorta wish I had you're problem. I rather have the old dock indicators, which are easier to see. First time I've seen it in the forums. It's most people complaining about the dock indicators being hard to see in ML.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I sorta wish I had you're problem. I rather have the old dock indicators, which are easier to see. First time I've seen it in the forums. It's most people complaining about the dock indicators being hard to see in ML.

They are awful.... already sent a complaint to apple feedback. They are easier to see if you park the dock on either side, but in the bottom position its terrible.

Whatabloke

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Lion Dock On ML

I was trying to customise the ML dock, but with little success. However, in my pursuit for happiness, I inadvertently installed the Leopard Dock theme.

If that is what your after, simple got to Leopard Dock and download the Original Theme. I pasted into the dock contents and used terminal to killall Dock. When it reappeared it was the old style.

This is totally weird because it will not allow me to follow this method to customise in any other way except for Apple Approved (so to speak) themes.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Workaround, from terminal:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Dock no-glass -bool YES ; killall Dock

Results in a fugly, 2D dock but at least you can see the indicators clear as day.

no-glass.png

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Would someone please be so kind to upload the resources from the Dock app?
I'm close to the solution, and can probably make the Lion indicators work in ML.
TIA

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Try and reinstall the Dock from your Mountain Lion install app, if you still have it. You'll need Pacifist from http://www.charlessoft.com/cgi-bin/pacifist_download.cgi?type=zip (just use it as a trial).

- Switch to Finder and press command+shift+G
- Put in the directory /Applications/Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion.app/Shared Support/ and press Go
- Open InstallESD.dmg and then open Packages in that
- Right click Essentials.pkg and open with Pacifist (click open if Gatekeeper complains)
- In the search bar search for Dock.app, click it and press Install
- Install it with Admin Privledges, and click replace without asking again when it shows
- Reboot​

If it doesn't work, try reinstalling the whole Essentials.pkg using Pacifist.

Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Thanks Richard. If only I knew where the ML Install app went?
Looks like it deleted itself?

Anyway, I downloaded/installed over again. After boot, there was no way to have a system sound. Both of my users were muted.
So I downloaded/installed a third time. Until now, all seems OK. But I'm not happy with my MBP anymore. Does it "just work" by luck now?

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Thanks Richard. If only I knew where the ML Install app went?
Looks like it deleted itself?

Anyway, I downloaded/installed over again. After boot, there was no way to have a system sound. Both of my users were muted.
So I downloaded/installed a third time. Until now, all seems OK. But I'm not happy with my MBP anymore. Does it "just work" by luck now?

Why are you not happy with your MBP? Because of this little dock indicator "issue"?

v654321

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Vilvoorde, Belgium
The 2nd lower layer of indicators is also visible in Lion. It's the reflection of the upper indicator. The only reason why it's noticable on your config is because I think the "plate" of the doch has become a bit thicker (I think, I'm not running Mountain Lion).

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
The 2nd lower layer of indicators is also visible in Lion. It's the reflection of the upper indicator. The only reason why it's noticable on your config is because I think the "plate" of the doch has become a bit thicker (I think, I'm not running Mountain Lion).

Definitely not the case. I opened my Dock app Content, and found a number of resources duplicates with truncated names. Look closely, and you'll also recognize Lion's Dock separator and Trash icon.

Meanwhile, I reinstalled ML again - no system sound, no way.
Reinstalled yet again - all seems OK, but sometimes the Dock shelf doesn't show. All in all, I'm stuck with a highly unreliable system.
Not happy :mad:

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

v654321

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Vilvoorde, Belgium
I'm not questioning your dock and your ML installation. :) I'm just saying that the indicators look exactly the same as mine. Something definitely is fishy with your set-up.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Why are you not happy with your MBP? Because of this little dock indicator "issue"?

- Dock not always working as it should (double indicators, sometimes no shelf at all)
- system sound sometimes grayed out completely
- no "Open Folder" icon when I select a folder in Finder Column view
- impossible to change the desktop picture
- Reminders not starting up (keeps bouncing in the Dock)

to name a few issues I already had to face during my first moments in ML.
I ran the update install 3 times.

So yes, I constantly have the feeling there may be much more issues under the hood, and they will no doubt pop up at the beginning of a working day, sooner or later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.