Dock Placement

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Simplistic, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Simplistic macrumors member

I'm so used to having the dock on the bottom, but I've recently switched to the left side. I don't know what I think about it just yet, but it's not so bad. I keep moving the mouse cursor to the bottom and thinking, "where's the dock?" Then I'm like, "oh yeah." So it'll take some getting used to.

Where do you prefer to place the dock?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I prefer the right side next to my HD icons, or on the bottom. Bottom seems a more appropriate place, though.

/moves Dock to right.
    //Ah! I like.
    ///ponders leaving it there. *shrugs*
    Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. Simplistic thread starter macrumors member

I don't know about the right side. Would feel a little cluttered imo. The left is open space.

4. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

You just don't know how much we are alike...I love the right, but it still feels more "right", on the bottom. I cant seem to decide. Yesterday i told myself I was going to keep it on the right, guess what? 5 minutes later I saw switching between bottom and right, trying to figure it out.

Not the first time I have done it before either. It's on the bottom now, and hopefully it will stay that way.

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Its funny i have gone through this exact sama saga and i always end up going back to the bottom as for some reason having the dock on the left or right seems a bit odd...

Maybe if you were to force yourself to leave the dock on the right for a couple of days you would adjust to the positioning,

Shadow

6. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

But the bottom will always feel more balanced, and correct. I will experiment that when I get back from holiday in 2 weeks, but I could put money on it that it will go back to the bottom; worth a try though.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It has to be the bottom for me. I've tried the left and the right hand sides of the screen, but I find it just gets in the way. It doesn't take long for it to get put back at the bottom, where it belongs.

The fact that the bottom of the screen is longer than either of the sides helps too, I reckon.

8. Simplistic thread starter macrumors member

Okay, it's been long enough. Back to the bottom. :)

9. starnox macrumors 6502

I like it on the left. At the bottom I find windows get underneath it and you can't control them.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

On small screens (My iBook, eMac at work), I like it on the bottom. It's on the right on my 20" iMac.

11. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

On the bottom and hidden. I can see the whole screen and it pops up when I need it.

12. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Well, I have now decided to write an article about dock placement. I will use the dock on the bottom, right, and left for 3 days each, and find out what the advantages/disadvantages are of each placement.

I will publish the article on MacsNPods, purely for experimental fun.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

From the pics I've seen, I wouldn't have thought you could fit your massive Dock on the right...

I like it at the bottom, but I haven't really flailing my Dock around on other edges of the screen.

14. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I keep my dock on the bottom. I've tried it on the sides, but I just couldn't get used to it.

15. jblock macrumors regular

I have it on the left of my iBook 12inch. It's a good tradeoff to have a little more screen space on the bottom without losing much on the side. It took a few days to get used to it, but it's natural now. I still have the dock on the bottom of my iMac G5 and have no problem going between the two.

16. peterparker macrumors regular

peterparker

Left side, hiding on. Got tired of looking down with it on bottom (like Windows), right side interferes with my scrollbars.

17. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I have mine at the bottom. I've tried having it at the sides but it feels unbalanced. At the bottom it is easily accessible.

18. mpw Guest

Please note I may have quoted this a little out of context but I think you’ll all agree that jblock has a dirty mind. Please remember this is a family board.

19. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:......that's hilarious!!! :D

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Uh, you might want to look in a mirror to see who has the dirty mind! :D

21. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

22. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Dock on the bottom. Set to hide. Used to be on the left.

23. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You know, I started with it on the bottom, switched to be being on the left for the longest time, now it's back on the bottom. This is over multiple computers/screen resolutions as well.

Left or bottom are OK for me, can't do right though, feels weird.

24. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

Despite being a leftie (and I don't mean left-handed, folks), it's the right for me.

More to the point, who on earth uses the grotesque genie effect??? What a waste of human effort that was!

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Scaling is much nicer! Not so much waste of human effort as the genie effect really is a technical demo of OSX's graphical prowess but that should have stayed in the labs. Animated sheets, slide out drawers, Dock magnification and genie effort should be outlawed.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]