Dock postition

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by auxplage, Jan 29, 2005.

1. auxplage macrumors 6502

Sorry if this has already been gone over, but I am curious as to where people position their dock, and if one places it corresponds to their previous opperating system. I am also curious to see if hiding the dock corresponds to one's previous or long time use of another operating system. It would seem that most former 0S 9 users would hide their dock while former Windows users have their dock for "comfort". I am a switcher for about 9 months and my dock is on the bottom of the screen and not hidden. Sorry this is long, so can you all tell me about your dock (I am always very interesting in how the mind works and I feel the dock tells one a lot about this (I have issues))? :)

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....my dock is on the left, pinned to the top...what I would really prefer though is to have it on the right side of my left monitor, (I use 2 displays) but that is not possible (yet...I hope)....oh yeah!

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I had Windows and still do at work.

My Dock is hidden on the right side of the screen. If it needs attention, it bounces and it's still easy to get things and drag them into an icon.

And the magnification is turned off.

4. auxplage thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not know. I find this so fascinating. I think it is so interesting. I seriously feel a huge scientific study could be done on this by some research group.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Check out the desktop threads to see how people configure their docks. It's also a good place to see what apps people are using, what they've got in their menu bars etc. Anyway I keep mine pretty minimal and in the centre - boring but it works for me! :)

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

lifetime mac user here (for all intents and purposes):

small-ish dock unhidden in the middle of the bottom screen. sometimes pinned left. no magnification.

of course, i was always a fan of popup folders and whatnot, so the dock makes me happy.

7. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

My dock is hidden on the right side of the screen. I also have a litttle bit of magnification on as well. I've been a Mac user since OS 7.5 so that is about nine or ten years.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I switched from Windows about 15 months ago. So I love the dock :).

I have it at the bottom, unhidden, and with magnification on (it's so cool!). I can't stand the dock at the sides of the screen - the bouncing of app icons doesn't look right and I just don't find it as accessible there. I rarely have any window resizing conflicts (i.e. can't resize because window behind dock). Also I don't like it on the left because windows appear behind it (mainly Carbon apps) and I don't like it on the right because it covers up my HD and other desktop icons.

Also, I keep it centred and with the nice standard translucent background - I haven't 'modded' it in any way.

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Never liked the Task Bar in Windows. Used A-Dock (bottom, hidden) under OS 9. Like the Dock under OS X unhidden, unmagnified, small and pinned to the right. I find it does not get in the way there, gives me easy access to my Applications and Documents folders (plus a few apps I use all the time) and lets me see what is going on.

10. auxplage thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies. I find it surprising how many of you thus far have in on the sides. My mind gets so confused with the dock icons jumping out from the side. It makes me think too much. :eek:

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

mine is on the right, flushed to the bottom. this puts the trash can in the bottom right, where it belongs, imo. i don't like putting the dock at the bottom because the screen space is more precious in the vertical direction than the horizontal. i don't put it to the left because of the trash can and the fact most documents like to open flush to the left.

if you like UI discussion stuff, including discussion on the dock, try http://www.asktog.com

very interesting reads. tog was a big part of apple coming up with UI design guidelines.

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Bottom. Hidden, smallest possible size. Magnification pretty high.

I have folders set up on the right side with aliases to applications in them so that I can open any application instantly. Here is an example:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    My logic on the right side dock is as follows. I like to use the full height of the screen but rarely use the full width. The dock on the bottom makes it awkward for me to scroll to the bottom of long web pages without it appearing.

I've tried left and right docks. I finally moved to the right when I figured that since it's the default area for files downloading to the desktop, having the dock there made it quicker to drop those files onto the relevant applications.

I have it hidden because I think it makes the desktop look cluttered, despite having it at a fairly small size. Funnily enough, at work, I loathe having my Windows toolbar closed.

14. auxplage thread starter macrumors 6502

Since I have only used OS X on a regular basis, I am a little confused on what the "TrashCan" exactly was in OS 9 for example. Was it an "icon" or was it permantly in one place? Also, has the trash can changed over time in any major ways?

15. auxplage thread starter macrumors 6502

I completely understand what you mean. I think I have it on the bottom though because of all my dreadful years under WINDOWS. It is a psycological thing, I think!! I am trying it hidden now and there is a lot more space which I like. It just makes me feel uncomfortable, but I do like the extra space.

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The Trash Can was in the bottom right hand corner of the screen by default. You dropped stuff into it, and then chose "Empty Trash" from the Special menu. The lines on the Trash Can changed directions between System 1.0 and 2.0

17. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

long time mac user. Dock hidden bottom center, small with lots of magnification.

On my xp dell at work I hide the task bar, & move all the icons to the right of the screen, to make it more mac like, it also annoys the hell out the IT support boys.

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Count me with the hidden on the right. I use a 12" PB mostly now, so what little realestate I have is valuable, I use magnification, my eyes are not what they used to be.

19. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Been using OSX for about 15 months, prior to that was mostly unix (switching between KDE and GNOME) although I'm stuck using Windows at work.

Dock is on the right side, pinned to the bottom. As small as possible with medium magnification so I can scrub it for information as necessary.

I use Quicksilver and Growl (and incredible combination for keyboard junkies) so I barely use the dock anymore. In fact it just ocurred to me I should be hiding it, since it's just wasted space most of the time, so as of now it is hidden. I haven't done that before.

My logic with the dock on the right is similar to others -- with the widescreen displays (15" PB) vertical space is more precious than horizontal. Pinned to the bottom because the trash can should be in a fixed location (IMO).

20. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

my dock moves every week at least..

this week it's been bottom, pinned to the left.

21. kerb macrumors regular

22. auxplage thread starter macrumors 6502

I am curious. If you have the dock on the bottom, then it naturally is always centralized. Is there a way to make it say be on the right and then grow towards the left with the addition of icons?

23. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

I understand the "on the right to save height" argument. But in my case, it stays hidden, so it doesn't bother me. I currently have 42 apps/docs/folders in the Dock, so I set the size pretty small, and have it zoom. With 42 items, having it on the right side of a 15' laptop wouldn't work, as it hardly fits at the bottom of the screen! The small icon/zoom effect also helps me know which app I currently have the curser over... not that I ever use my laptop while driving or anything... :rolleyes: ;)
    Mac user all 20 years of my life, started on an Apple 512K, woohoo! :D

~Tyler

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I keep my Dock at the bottom. Like to have my HD, OWC, and other icons on the right. My windows are set from the left.

25. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I keep my dock on the bottom of my screen. It's always showing and i keep magnification up 100%.