Dock shortcuts...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AmigoMac, Sep 20, 2004.

1. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

It could be a repost or a fairly known feature ... while you work with the dock you can :

-Command+click > Shows the app/object in finder ... simple!
    -ctrl+click > Menu, what to do with the app... known.
    -ctr+alt+click > shows extra options like "Hide others" & "Force quit", it may help!
    -alt+click > Hides that app and moves to the one behind... (command+h)
    -Command+alt+click > Opens that app and hides other apps... practical!

Hope it's not a repost and hope it helps... HANT!

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

cool... i didn't know about the combos to hide apps...

there is also another key shortcut that you didn't mention. you can navigate the Dock via the keyboard, i just forget the keys. :p but it works just like cmd+tab, but for the Dock.

if anyone could remind me of that... it'd be useful. :D

PS>> F5 does some crazy spell checking/dictionary thing in Safari, just found that out while trying out some keys. :eek: never knew that before... cool stuff. :cool:

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

control + F5. Navigate with the arrow keys, and open with return.

4. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

The dock is customizable via system preferences in KB & Mouse, in KB shortcuts, I have ctrl-f11 for the menu bar and ctrl+f10 for the dock... ;)

that F5 didn't work for me, all I do is comman+: ... can you post a pic of that "crazy spell checking dictionary thing" ?

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

thanks Counterfit, but F5 didn't work for me? but i just tried 'F3+ctrl' and it brought up the Dock. i guess that's it, must be different for PB's? :confused:

okay, here's my crazy spell checking/dictionary tip: F5 while typeing, at least in Safari, and you get this. and le piccy:

[​IMG]

weird eh? so now no excuse for having an incorrectly spelt word while posting on MR. :p

6. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

wow! that one is great and very useful, I do like it ... I have a new tip, when you are in safari reading a 'http://wwww.anysite.com/subdomain/subsubdomain', you can command+click the title of the actual website and it shows the hierarchy of domains... like finder :)

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

thanks Amigo!! :D that's a very handy one as well, just like Finder. :)

i wonder how many other cool things there are in OS X that we dont' know about? :confused: probably lots more i guess.

8. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

You're welcome ;) ... I was wondering as well, how many features we haven't found and maybe have been there since 10.1 :confused: ...

a new one, maybe this is well known, but for those who care... if you have a lot of windows from the same application, you can minimize all of them to the dock just with alt+click (on minimize button, yellow :) ), alt-click on any of them when they are one the dock and all of them come back together... alt-click (on close, red) closes all of them, alt+click (on maximize, green) resizes all of them...

I have been alt/ctrl/command clicking a lot of stuff in the OS ... :)

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

No, I just mistyped :rolleyes:

10. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

you can get all these or change them in System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts

I changed my Command + Shift + 4 to go to the clipboard instead of some silly PDF file.

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The alt key is a PC thing. The Mac equivalent is the Option key.

12. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

see the pic... alt on my iBook/eMac/PC at work ... to think different doesn't mean to change the rules... alt = option, I know... alt comes from alternative ... I know I know... Peecers use alt ... I don't think I'm the only one with alt on the KB... :rolleyes: ... this can be a mixed world.. do not be that specific... did I say I'm posting from my iBook? :)

Attached Files:

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

We're both right. I just thought that "Option" was the more widely used name on Macs.

14. rand() macrumors regular

While we're talking about it...

I've created folders that containt shortcuts to groups of programs. I'm sure this is well known. Then plunking the folder into the Dock next to the Trash makes an easy shortcut-menu. Also, you can use the nifty cut & paste to give that folder any icon you wish.

Clicking the folder results in a Finder window of that folder. Control- (or right-) clicking that folder pops up the menu. Also, you can click and hold for a second to pop up the menu.

Attached Files:

15. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah, that's a nice one too. I basically created aliases for all programs, put them into subfolders, and then put the master folder in the dock. No need to hunt around for them anymore, or worry about Apple's insistence on keeping the iApps in the top level of teh Applications folder.

Did the same with my "work" folder--I can get to any document through heirarchical folders on the dock.

Neither is a sweet keystroke combo, but I find both immensely speed things up.

16. Shiori7 macrumors newbie

ALT CLICK!!! HOw do i fix it?

Im so lost..I let my girlfriend use my computer to download somethings..now when i download media files they turn into text files. Apparently she held down the alt button and clicked the mouse pad instead of holding down ctrl and clicking the mouse pad. How do i fix it

Also im Using a Mac Book Pro TigerOS