dock that does these..

Discussion in 'iPod' started by renixomba, Nov 11, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if there is a dock that can simultaneously be connected to my computer for synching, my computer speakers for listening, and a power source charging. That way, I can listen to my music and/or charge it w/o turning on the computer and i don't have to keep on swapping the cable. Does the universal dock do that? I feel like it only has one output and I would have to swap cables or change where it can be connected to.

If there isn't one available, is there a splitter cable or something.

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 6502

Universal dock would do everything you mentioned, but yes, it does not have more than one output.

However, if you drop by at a local dollar store, you can get a Y-cable that lets you plug in two speakers at the same time.

That seems to be the only solution at the moment.

g'luck :)

4. macrumors 68040

5. macrumors member

Actually, if you buy Apple's composite or component AV cable, you do get two audio outputs if you use it with the universal dock. The composite/component cable comes with the dock connector at one end, which connects to the dock, while the other end has the USB plug for charging/syncing, and a yellow video cable (for composite) or a trio of 3 component video cables (for component) AND also a pair of red&white RCA line level audio outputs. Which leaves the line out port on the back of the universal dock still open to connect a 3.5" mini stereo to red&white RCA cable to a 2nd amplifier/external speaker.

I agree the Apple branded cables and dock are rather expensive, but this is the easy way to get an elegant solution.