Doco claims that US knew Saddam was disarmed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Pinto, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Pinto macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2003
    New Zealand
    I'm looking forward to seeing the doco if it gets picked up by NZ television
  2. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    if there's even a shred of truth to this, bush should be impeached and removed from office.

then sent to the hague for war crimes.
  3. Zaid macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2003
    Well Blair and his govt have already lost a huge amount of credibility.

If ( a very big if) this is true, what exactly did Blair get out of it in order to get him to go along? I mean its not as if British companies have gained much from the war.
  4. toontra macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2003
    London UK
    IMO, Blair embarked on a mission to win for himself personally the status of world statesman and international peace-broker, who would be remembered in history as one of the worlds greatest modern-day leaders.

His aim was to reign back the worst excesses of Bush, form the bridge between the US and europe, and force the US into brokering the peace talks in the middle east by rapping the knuckles of Israel.

If it has gone to plan his position in the history books would have been assured. As it was, Bush cynically used the UK support for the war for his own ends and tossed aside any pledges made to Blair along the way, leaving him isolated and looking rather foolish.

One must remember that before this whole episode Blair had been the teflon man of UK politics. He'd managed to brush aside all scandals and ineptitudes and win a record second term for a Labour government with a record majority, and with huge popularity ratings with the British public. It's easy to see how delusions of invincibility could have grown, especially in the light of the fawning adoration he receives in the US.

In my opinion this is the stuff of Greek tragedy; a man caught up in his own popularity urged on to action with consequences far beyond his conception. The risk taker taking one last huge gamble, and losing the lot!